Massive savings are coming as fuel prices in Australia are falling drastically

Nothing beats a good ol’ road trip across the grand expanse of Australia.

But nowadays, this enjoyment is hindered by the escalating fuel prices.

As we approach the festive season, there's a gift waiting for Australian commuters—a significant drop in fuel prices across most capital cities.

This is a welcome relief, especially after the steep fuel prices experienced in September.

The only city bucking this trend, unfortunately, is Sydney.

sippakorn-yamkasikorn-0aJOTBQfEFE-unsplash.jpg
Fuel prices are dropping in most capital cities. Credit: Unsplash

According to Peter Khoury, a spokesperson for the National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA), Sydney's petrol price cycle is currently on an upward trajectory, raising concerns that this trend might persist through Christmas.

‘Unfortunately, Sydney’s price cycle is heading up,’ Khoury said.

‘We were at the bottom of the cycle at the start of the week, but it’s heading up as we run into Christmas.’

As of now, the average price of unleaded fuel in Sydney is approximately $1.81 per litre, with prices varying by as much as 60 cents per litre across the city.

Khoury warned that the ‘potluck’ or unpredictable nature of Sydney's petrol price cycle could see average unleaded prices reaching just under $2.10 in December.

However, he reassured prices should start to fall slowly just before Christmas.

‘It will start to fall slowly just prior to Christmas,’ he said.

Khoury advised travellers to avoid fuelling up in Sydney altogether if possible.

On the brighter side, the rest of the country is experiencing a welcome easing in prices.

Adelaide residents, in particular, are enjoying 'exceptionally' low rates. The average price at petrol pumps across Adelaide is a mere $1.69 per litre, indicating that prices have hit rock bottom, according to Khoury.

‘We suspect that Adelaide has gotten to the bottom of its cycle, so Adelaide is exceptionally cheap right now,’ Khoury said.

Brisbane and Perth are slightly more expensive, with the average unleaded price at about $1.97 per litre collectively.

However, Khoury noted that Perth is currently amid a price slide following its unique fortnightly price cycle.

Melbourne and Brisbane residents can also expect a dip in unleaded prices before the Christmas break, with the average price in Melbourne currently at $1.87 per litre.

Cities like Hobart, Darwin, and Canberra, which don't have independent price cycles like the rest of the country, are following global and wholesale prices at about $1.72, a significant fall of 25 cents from September.

Interestingly, Khoury noted that large regional cities in NSW, Victoria, and Queensland were starting to adopt the price cycles of their capital cities. This means cities like Wollongong and the Central Coast also anticipate price hikes for unleaded fuel.

Despite the generally positive news, Khoury warned that any unexpected global events could cause price spikes for petrol in Australia. '

The trends since September have been for wholesale prices to continue falling, but again, it's oil, it's one of the most volatile commodities on the open market,' he said.

'Anything that happens overseas can have an effect here at home.'

markus-spiske-WSrVetqvfLY-unsplash.jpg
Oil is one of the most volatile products in the market. Credit: Unsplash

To maximise the value of their fuel, commuters are urged to remove any unnecessary heavy items from the boot while travelling to reduce the car's load.

Also, commuters should avoid idle driving as it wastes battery or driving at high speed with the window down, which creates more drag on the car.

Others can also take advantage of the fluctuations in oil prices to save more money. According to FuelWatch’s Manager Ben Derecki, fill up your tank on a Monday or Tuesday before prices soar.

Derecki said, ‘This doesn’t mean all fuel retailers will be cheap on that day, but most are.’

By following this advice, you could have saved up to $450 this year so far and potentially over $800 for the year if the trend continues.

However, note that not all retailers follow the same pricing pattern. While major retailers usually adjust their prices per the state's cycle, some operate independently.

To learn more from Derecki’s advice, check the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Most capital cities in Australia are expecting fuel prices to drop in the lead-up to Christmas.
  • One outlier is Sydney, where fuel prices are currently on an upward trajectory, with fears that it may continue to rise through the Christmas period.
  • Adelaide, on the other hand, is experiencing 'exceptionally' low fuel rates, with average prices at $1.69 per litre.
  • NRMA spokesman Peter Khoury warned of the volatility of global oil prices and the potential for price spikes in Australia due to unexpected global events.
Have oil prices lowered in your area? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and BJM
Sponsored
$1.97 for WA??? Where's the decrease, I haven't been paying that much.
I’ve just looked at FuelwatchWA and am pleasantly surprised how much the prices have gone down since last time I filled up (a few days ago). Here in Perth, my closest petrol stations are charging $1.75 - $1.77! I was paying close to $2. Even on Tuesdays, the “cheapest” day of the week, it was still $1.92+
These prices are per litre of course. 🙂

Reactions: Ezzy
I’ve just looked at FuelwatchWA and am pleasantly surprised how much the prices have gone down since last time I filled up (a few days ago). Here in Perth, my closest petrol stations are charging $1.75 - $1.77! I was paying close to $2. Even on Tuesdays, the “cheapest” day of the week, it was still $1.92+
I filled up in Northam, a couple of weeks ago for $1.79.(Tuesday)

Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
I filled up in Northam, a couple of weeks ago for $1.79.(Tuesday)
Crazy, isn’t it? I drove down to Albany about a month ago, filling up in Perth because I thought it would be cheaper. It was actually cheaper in Albany! So I filled up there before returning to Perth.😉
I haven’t been out Northam way for yonks. My in laws used to live in Meckering and then Dowerin. (Going back a long time ago!)

Reactions: Ezzy