Many Australians could soon start flying cheaper than expected!

The skies above Australia could soon become a battleground for airfare prices, potentially leading to cheaper flights for millions of Australians.

As we navigate the complexities of post-pandemic travel and the fluctuating costs of jet-setting, a new development has emerged that could significantly shift the aviation landscape.

Qatar Airways, a titan in the global aviation industry, has set its sights on acquiring a 20 per cent stake in Virgin Australia. This strategic play could reshape the competitive dynamics of domestic and international air travel for Australians.

For those who remember the days when flying was a luxury few could afford, the prospect of more affordable air travel is welcome.

The potential partnership between Qatar Airways and Virgin Australia is poised to ignite fierce competition with the existing Qantas-Emirates alliance, which has long dominated the skies.

1719545972244.png
Qatar Airways sought to purchase a 20 per cent stake in Virgin Australia, aiming for cheaper Australian flights. Credit: Shutterstock

Australian aviation expert Geoffrey Thomas shared his insights suggesting that while domestic airfares could decrease, the real price war will likely be waged over international routes.

‘But it also sets up a fascinating competition with its rival, Emirates,’

‘You're going to have two big powerhouses vying for Australian traffic ... This is good for competition.’

With two major airline alliances vying for Australian traffic, the competition is set to intensify, which typically translates to better deals for consumers.

The increased competition could force airlines to offer more enticing deals, improved services, or additional perks to win over customers.

However, the proposed deal between Qatar Airways and Virgin Australia must navigate the turbulent waters of government approval.

Last year, the federal government blocked Qatar Airways from increasing its flights to Australia, citing national interest.

This decision came despite the airline's strategic partnership with Virgin Australia, announced in 2022, which aimed to challenge the Qantas-Emirates alliance.

The Australian Financial Review hints that the Qatari interest in Virgin Australia could be officially announced soon.

If approved, this could mark a significant turning point for Virgin Australia, owned by the Boston-based private equity firm Bain Capital.

Bain Capital took over Virgin during its voluntary administration in 2020 and has since been teasing a potential listing on the Australian Securities Exchange. An IPO is possibly slated before the end of the year.

Virgin Australia returned to profitability last year, achieving a $129 million profit.

Qatar Airways' entry as a significant stakeholder could enhance Virgin's market position, providing travellers with increased choices and potentially improved prices.

Similarly, in aviation news, a survey was conducted by Which? named Wizz Air the world's worst airline for the second consecutive year.

British Airways also received poor rankings for both long-haul and short-haul travel. Read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Qatar Airways is looking to buy a 20 per cent stake in Virgin Australia, which could potentially lead to cheaper flights for Australians.
  • Australian aviation expert Geoffrey Thomas suggested that while domestic fares might decrease, it's more likely that international fares could reduce due to increased competition.
  • Any deal between Qatar Airways and Virgin Australia would require approval from the Australian government.
  • Virgin Australia, currently owned by Bain Capital, reported a profit last year and is considering an initial public offering before the end of the year.
What are your thoughts on this potential shift in the aviation industry? Share your travel dreams and concerns in the comments below.

Sponsored
i think the days are long gone for cheaper flights people must be dreaming if they think this is ever goinmg to happen no matter who owns which airline

I've got a return flight booked with Jetstar for next February, Perth to Brisbane and return, with additional leg room, for $398.
This also included 20kg luggage allowance and travel insurance.
I took advantage of their birthday free return special announced on SDC earlier this year.
Can't beat that for a cheap fare.
Last February I did the same trip for $175 each way with Virgin.
There's plenty of cheap fares out there, you just need to keep your eyes open for them and book early.

I've got a return flight booked with Jetstar for next February, Perth to Brisbane and return, with additional leg room, for $398.
I took advantage of their birthday free return special announced on SDC earlier this year.
There's plenty of cheap fares out there, you just need to keep your eyes open for them and book early.
I agree, there are good deals about, but you have to do your homework. Enjoy your holiday.

The first thing that comes up is that Qatar, Emirates and Qantas are all members of One World alliance - Virgin is not. So Qatar would have to leave One World . Would they really want to join Star Alliance instead????

Anything that takes on Qantas and gives them a run for their money can only be good for the public and may be the best thing that can happen.

I sincerely hope they get approval.

I agree, there are good deals about, but you have to do your homework. Enjoy your holiday.
good luck, the most reliable airline for flights on time. NOT

Reactions: Tervueren