Man meets untimely death at a Westfield charity bin: 'They need to do something'

In a heart-wrenching incident at Westfield Tuggerah, a man's life came to a tragic end in a way that few could have anticipated.

The practice, known colloquially as 'bin surfing' or 'dumpster diving', is not uncommon among those seeking to find usable items, whether out of necessity or as a means to reduce waste.

However, this incident starkly highlighted the shocking dangers associated with this activity.

His body was discovered in the early hours of the morning, half-emerged from a charity bin, a victim of what appears to be a catastrophic accident while attempting to retrieve items from within.

'We believe he was bin surfing, fell and broke his neck,' police said.

SDC 3.png
A man allegedly lost his life while 'bin surfing'. Image source: Shutterstock.

The man is believed to have lost his footing on a bicycle he was using to prop himself up to reach inside the charity bin.

The fall resulted in a fatal neck injury.

Emergency services were called to the scene around 4:25 am after a passer-by noticed legs hanging out of the charity bin.

Upon arrival, officers found the man's body wedged inside the chute of the bin, with a bicycle lying on the ground nearby.

A crime scene was established at the eastern end of the car park on Wyong Road.

'It's very sad. They need to do something to stop people getting into them, like an internal latch or something,' a witness who wished to remain anonymous said.

This tragic incident is not an isolated case.

In 2021 alone, the bodies of two women and a teenage boy were found in charity bins in three separate incidents.

In April 2021, Mikki O'Shea, 43, died after becoming stuck in a charity bin behind a Gold Coast shopping centre.

Three months later, the body of mother-of-one Alarrah Lawrence, 33, was found in a similar situation in Rockingham, South of Perth.

Tragically, 13-year-old Spencer Benbolt Jr was crushed to death when the skip bin he was sleeping in was emptied into a garbage truck in Port Lincoln, South Australia.

Another woman suffered the same tragedy in a charity container in Moonee Ponds in Melbourne’s Northwest in July 2020, and so did another man in Sydney in 2015.
Key Takeaways
  • A man was found dead inside a charity bin at Westfield Tuggerah, resulting in a catastrophic injury.
  • Police believe the man broke his neck in an accident while doing what is commonly referred to as 'bin surfing' or 'dumpster diving'.
  • The incident prompted calls for safety improvements to charity bins, such as internal latches, to prevent future tragedies.
  • The man's death is one of several similar fatalities in Australia, drawing attention to the dangers associated with accessing charity bins.
Our thoughts go out to those affected by the incident. May the man rest in peace.

What are your thoughts on this incident? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
It is so horrible to know these things happen so often, Australia is the lucky country no more, its just a case of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and the government is at a loss to know what to do.

• Sad
Reactions: maherdj and Davmes
I think Channel 7 could probably make one of those awful Australian produced so called comedies (and I use the words produced and comedy very loosely), with these situations as their theme and I can imagine most of the people who watch those horrible shows splitting their sides laughing.
Admittedly the deaths (not in the shows) are caused by their own hands but the situations are quite dire and somewhat sad.

I get why people are turning to dumpster diving as op shops are becoming so expensive that you can rarely afford to buy anything from them anymore. Salvos now even have a Boutique section in their stores with 2nd hand clothing priced at such ridiculous amounts that they are out of contention for low income earners, the elderly, the disadvantaged & those living under the poverty line.

Further public awareness of other NGOs available who do help provide clothing and other basic items free to the disadvantaged, homeless, and lower income earners of our society. Obviously people are screened to avail themselves to these services. I agree Op shops have become a lot more expensive, I hadn't been in one for several years, until several months ago, I used to love op shopping, have had some fabulous finds, but was quite shocked at the prices now. I donate clothing, good condition bedding items and towels on a semi regular basis, to the more lower profile providers