Making friends

It isn't so easy to meet and make new friends when you move to another country - particularly when you are older. I came here from UK in 2017 to get away from an abusive husband and be safe with my daughter, who came to Australia some 35 years ago. I don't regret it one bit! But I have found it virtually impossible to fill the friendship gaps left behind when I left UK. I had so many friends - some lasting over 50 years. We still keep in touch of course, but it almost hurts to do so!
I don't go out much - partly due to not knowing the area well enough and partly due to Covid. I found a local Seniors Club, but found their liking for fish and chips and bingo a bit limiting in terms of enjoyment! I prefer not to drive at night, so that adds to the problem.
My family is small - I have a daughter and a son (who lives a 5 hr flight away from WA to Tassie), but no siblings or grandchildren.

I am not unhappy - I love it here and just wish that I had come out here sooner! Sometimes when I am out shopping I see another elderly person looking forlorn. I stop to chat, and the loneliness in their lives spills out of them. It is obvious that they too are lonely.

Sponsored
Pam you in WA Perth or ? ? Am in Central Wheatbelt and not into football cricket or golf like traveling
Hi -nice to hear from you. I am in 6061 - 15 mins from Perth airport. I also dislike footie and cricket. Done a fair bit of travelling myself - lived in France 29 odd years.

Reactions: paulamc52
Hi Pam, I live in Shepparton in Victoria's Goulburn Valley. I don't go out much either. I have a son who lives in Melbourne but he is not married and has no children. I get bored with footie, cricket, etc. too. I am 79 years of age. I am happy to write to you.

Hi Pam, I live in Shepparton in Victoria's Goulburn Valley. I don't go out much either. I have a son who lives in Melbourne but he is not married and has no children. I get bored with footie, cricket, etc. too. I am 79 years of age. I am happy to write to you.
Hi Temal. Hope you had a good Christmas? We (daughter Robin and me) did. We had 3 friends over - all single, lonely people who would otherwise have spent Christmas on their own. We had lots of food left over so we made sure our 3 guests took some away with them for Boxing Day! Still had enough left over for ourselves! I am 88 - much to my delight and amazement! Are you Aussie born and bred?

Hi -nice to hear from you. I am in 6061 - 15 mins from Perth airport. I also dislike footie and cricket. Done a fair bit of travelling myself - lived in France 29 odd years.
my postcode is 6410 on the highway going to Kalgoorlie or should you be going across Australia go thru main street. Retired work part time looking for a wider social life outdoors as am active in better health than lot of other seniors out there - don't know why the word senior is used to me am older than most

It isn't so easy to meet and make new friends when you move to another country - particularly when you are older. I came here from UK in 2017 to get away from an abusive husband and be safe with my daughter, who came to Australia some 35 years ago. I don't regret it one bit! But I have found it virtually impossible to fill the friendship gaps left behind when I left UK. I had so many friends - some lasting over 50 years. We still keep in touch of course, but it almost hurts to do so!
I don't go out much - partly due to not knowing the area well enough and partly due to Covid. I found a local Seniors Club, but found their liking for fish and chips and bingo a bit limiting in terms of enjoyment! I prefer not to drive at night, so that adds to the problem.
My family is small - I have a daughter and a son (who lives a 5 hr flight away from WA to Tassie), but no siblings or grandchildren.

I am not unhappy - I love it here and just wish that I had come out here sooner! Sometimes when I am out shopping I see another elderly person looking forlorn. I stop to chat, and the loneliness in their lives spills out of them. It is obvious that they too are lonely.
Dear Pam,
I can so identify with you. It doesn't matter whether you move countries or just from cities to the country. It is a big move because you are moving to a different environment. Try a different group or club
until you find the right one for you. It might take a few years before you find the right one for you but keep
trying and it will happen. I am sending you my empathy and best wishes. Yours sincerely, Willy.

Dear Pam,
I can so identify with you. It doesn't matter whether you move countries or just from cities to the country. It is a big move because you are moving to a different environment. Try a different group or club
until you find the right one for you. It might take a few years before you find the right one for you but keep
trying and it will happen. I am sending you my empathy and best wishes. Yours sincerely, Willy.
Thanks Willy - much appreciated

thank you for your kind reply and offer to write, but I need contact with people. I find letter writing too distant