Major Culture Shock: The Differences of American and Australian Petrol Stations

For many Aussies, a trip to the petrol station is just another part of their daily routine, as familiar as making a cup of tea or tuning in to their favourite radio station. But for those who've come to Australia from overseas, the experience can be quite the culture shock.

This was the case for Tate Duane, an American expat who recently stormed the internet when she shared a video of her being confused after visiting an Aussie petrol station for the first time.

The California native (who is now living in Melbourne) shared that her confusion started when she was told by an employee that she needed to fill in her car first before paying for it. Meanwhile, In the US, customers are required to pay at the pump first.

‘Listen, Australia, I love you, but I’m so confused,’ she started.

‘I’m at the petrol station pouring gas into the car for the first time by myself…I just went in to try and put $50 on the pump or just to give (the employee) cash because you don’t have the tap-to-pay at this thing,’ she continued.

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 09.46.02.png
Tate Duane shared her confusion over American and Australian Petrol Stations is social media Credits: Connor Forsyth /Pexels

‘I don’t really know what I’m doing here because there’s nowhere to swipe your card out here,’ she explained.

She then went on to ask what Aussies do when they’re trying to get petrol in the middle of the night with no employee inside the service station.

‘I mean, are these things just open 24 hours? In the US, you can literally just go tap your card on the machine right there, pump and drive away. It’s locked until you do that, so you can’t just steal [fuel],’ she stated while noticing that the pump didn’t have a feature that would automatically fill up her car.

She continued: 'I’ve seen other people do (it), but tell me why you guys don’t have those clicky things that holds it into place?'

'You have to literally stand here the whole time, which is a bit annoying.'

Before ending her video, she asked if someone could explain and clarify these things for her.

Tate’s video, which was viewed over 300,000 times, was met with thousands of responses explaining how petrol stations worked in Australia.

‘We are trusted here to pay after putting our fuel in’, one commenter said.

Another social media user explained, ‘The clicking thing was removed years ago for safety reasons, they can fail and not turn off. People can often forget to take it out and drive off with it still in the car. Most servos are open 24/7 with someone working.’

Another reminded: ‘Just letting you know you’re not allowed to be using a mobile phone while pumping petrol in Australia as it’s a potential fire hazard.’

You can watch Tate’s full video below:

Key Takeaways

• An American expat named Tate Duane shared her confusion about the operation of Australian petrol stations compared to those in the US.
  • Australians fill their cars with petrol first and then go inside to pay, in contrast to many US stations where pre-payment is required.
  • Tate noticed Australian pumps lack the 'clicky things' that hold the nozzle in place for hands-free fueling, a feature she was accustomed to in the US.
  • Tate's video about her experience gained widespread attention, prompting explanations from Australians about payment trust, safety concerns regarding automatic nozzles, and the operating hours of service stations.
What do you think about this story, members? Do you have similar experiences you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
The yanks have got it right,though. Over there you can’t even pick up the hose until you’ve paid. Everything is locked down. Makes so much sense and would certainly end petrol thieves. We have it backwards,in my opinion. Everyone bitches about petrol thieves…this stops them cold at the bowser.

The yanks have got it right,though. Over there you can’t even pick up the hose until you’ve paid. Everything is locked down. Makes so much sense and would certainly end petrol thieves. We have it backwards,in my opinion. Everyone bitches about petrol thieves…this stops them cold at the bowser.
There are ones like that in Australia, in dodgy areas.

If these little things like filling up then paying and not clicky thingy is so confusing and annoying then this expat needs to ride a peddle bike but I'm sure she would be either confused or annoyed as to why we wear helmets 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: Bridgit and maherdj
We came across one of these petrol stations in a remote area of tasmania in 2016 when we were travelling there. Had to pay at the pump before you could get fuel. it looked like nobody ever worked there, was just a derelict building with four working pumps out the front for different petrol types and diesel.

Reactions: Bridgit and maherdj
too easy for aus. then they can't whinge.

Reactions: Bridgit
We came across one of these petrol stations in a remote area of tasmania in 2016 when we were travelling there. Had to pay at the pump before you could get fuel. it looked like nobody ever worked there, was just a derelict building with four working pumps out the front for different petrol types and diesel.
Yes, numerous ones in more remote areas around the country.

The American lady has done this type attention seeking before. This Servo one she did back in mid Feb. Before that she couldn't work out why the sand made a squeaky sound when walking on one of our beaches. If a new experience comes along it appears to create a massive challenge for her.

Like if it doesn't happen in the USA, then something is wrong, right!

Oh dear, what will she say when she visits a shopping mall in Australia and discovers it's pretty much a one stop shop where you can push a trolley around, unlike the US where you have to drive somewhere else to get, generally speaking, any type of grocery item.

Arrogance and ignorance dressed up as cuteness, sporting a demeanour that says I'm right about this aren't I.
Nah, we just love doing things our way. It's not about right or wrong, just different.

Have these whingers nothing better to do than pick on Australia 🤣

the trouble with your answer is how do you know how much it will be to fill yr tank

Remember a quote many tears ago by LUCKY GRILLS about the US Once they get over their shyness some can be okay.Tried the US system at gas stations wonder how many fires they have or hoses broken still in car.Gas was less then half the cost of ours before BIDEN stuffed the country waiting for the DON to piss him off and take Albo wit him