Low-risk NSW venues no longer require check-ins

If coronavirus cases keep falling, mandatory QR code check-ins at certain NSW venues deemed ‘low-risk’ will soon no longer be required.

Recent reports hinted that if health officials allow, shopping centres and cafes would be the first to abandon the compulsory check-ins. Though, voluntary sign-ins would still be available.

However, for higher-risk venues such as gyms, wedding events, and pubs, mandatory check-ins would likely remain until next year.

DkfyX-esItyNroixdw58khDZMLD9PigkuWxUojKa_zNwc-f9byhNULzuqUEDK59Ht6ZtbdcUkwlVu7AvGII7h1r3kc2pvCpu33icWnfHLBXkbQ5av4EDBrHOXkWw0WaKYNBsIzwP

NSW Health’s check-in campaign last year. Photos from Facebook / NSW Health.

Customer Service Minister Victor Dominello said in a statement that mandatory check-in rules will largely depend on current COVID-19 cases.

“I admit the system isn’t the best customer experience and as the architect of this digital infrastructure, I will not hesitate to remove it when appropriate,” he confirmed.

“We are still living in pandemic conditions and the technology continues to play an important role in assisting contact tracers. We will remove this requirement when the Department of Health advises it is safe to do so but for now the status quo remains in place.”

“I am optimistic we can retire the use of QR codes in lower-risk settings in the near future, subject to case numbers and vaccination rates. NSW’s world-leading vaccination rate means blue skies beckon for 2022.”

Just for October, reports revealed that people in NSW checked in almost 240 million times, up from 168 million the previous month.

The Service NSW app reportedly sent more than 700,000 COVID-19 case alerts, notifying people to monitor for possible symptoms.

“NSW Health’s contact tracing team has access to a range of information sources, including Service NSW QR code check-in data, to help contain the spread of Covid and keep the community safe,” NSW Health said in a statement.

“The collection of accurate details of customers, patrons, and visitors makes it easier for contact tracers as they work with cases to reconstruct their movements and determine who they may have come into contact with.”

“Thousands of contacts of cases have been identified across NSW thanks to their check-in data, which is extremely important, especially for higher-risk venues.”

“NSW Health continues to review and adapt its approach to contact tracing, to reduce transmission and minimise risks to people most vulnerable to severe disease.”

As vaccination rates have increased, daily numbers for COVID-19 cases have also steadily fallen.

As of Friday, 91.4 per cent of NSW residents aged 16 and over are fully vaccinated.

Sponsored
It's still mandatory in Vic. although I noticed today a lot of people weren't bothering and the store fronts aren't being policed.:oops:

It is still mandatory in Queensland and I think it is a good thing, although a lot of people are not doing it and the big stores are not policing it. Best way for contract tracing in my books.

I have no objection to 'checking in' as I understand the benefits. But, I understood that the 'collected' data would be deleted after 28 days had expired. This has not been the case in South Australia. I wonder why. It is enough for me to rebel and not 'check in' because I hold the opinion that a breach of agreement exists.