Loss of a Legend: Two-Time Oscar Winner Bo Goldman, Passes Away at 90

We're saddened to report that the incomparable talent behind the iconic One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Bo Goldman, passed away at age 90 this week in Helendale, California.

Born in New York, Goldman was an embodiment of the American dream. He embraced numerous opportunities that came his way, seizing them with determination.

After earning a bachelor's degree from the prestigious Princeton University in 1953, he dedicated three years to serving his country in the Army.

Following his military service, Goldman embarked on an impressive journey, which included working alongside renowned composer Jule Styne.

363499313_1337695097105672_3433834327157409308_n.jpg
Bo Goldman is a renowned American screenwriter known for his contributions to the film industry. He has written numerous critically acclaimed and award-winning screenplays, showcasing his talent for crafting compelling stories that resonate with audiences. Source: Instagram/Projectionboothpodcast

In 1959, he achieved a Broadway credit for contributing lyrics to the musical First Impressions, based on Jane Austen's beloved Pride and Prejudice.

However, it was Goldman's cinematic foray that earned him a sacred place in the annals of Hollywood.

His prolific career took off when legendary film director Milos Forman chose him alongside Lawrence Hauben to weave words into the silver-screen adaptation of Ken Kesey's novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Let's take a trip down memory lane to truly appreciate this masterpiece.

It was a time when movies were becoming a powerful way to comment on society. The groundbreaking drama, starring Jack Nicholson and Louise Fletcher, stood out.

Bo Goldman's storytelling went deep into themes of personal freedom, control systems, and mental health, painting a powerful and authentic picture that mirrored and challenged society.

compressed-bo goldman.jpeg
Throughout his career, he has collaborated with esteemed directors and actors, creating unforgettable cinematic experiences that have left a lasting impact on the world of film. Source: Twitter/FilmNerdDave

It connected with people, leaving a lasting impact that still resonates today. Goldman's work is important across generations, remaining relevant no matter the age or era.

After just four years of winning his first Oscar, his second Oscar graced his shelf for the profound Scent of a Woman (1992), a vehicle for Al Pacino's exceptional talent. Later, he worked again with the film’s director, Martin Brest, for Meet Joe Black (1998).

Goldman's characters were the voices of relatability and humanity—the everyday person and the everyday hero, something that spoke volumes to many.

Delving deeper into Goldman's writing style, his empathy for his characters shines through his writing, enhancing the performances of a stellar cast and making an enduring connection with audiences.

We can see his ability to craft memorable dialogue that pulled at heartstrings and tickled funny bones without ever losing the essence of the characters or the story's pace.

In a 1982 interview with The Washington Post, Goldman said: 'If there is a train of thought that runs through my work, it is a yearning, a longing to make the people real and capture their lives on the screen.'

'I think there is nothing more fulfilling in the world than to see your view of life realized in art. For me, film is unique; it has a peculiar quality for re-creating life. I find life so wonderful that to try to capture it in art is like trying to catch starlight,' he continued.

In his personal life, Goldman was a devoted family man. He and his late wife, Mab Ashforth, cherished a joyous marriage for 63 years until her passing in 2017. Together, they raised a loving family of six children, seven grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

However, his life was not without its challenges. The untimely loss of his eldest son, Jesse, at the age of 22, had a profound impact on both his work and personal life.

'I didn't work very well after that for a long time,' he said of the grief. 'I don't think I came out of it until the end of the decade.'

Despite being a Hollywood giant, Goldman wrote every word on his trusted Hermes typewriter, which he bought in Malibu for just $99.

Although the clatter of his typewriter may have ceased, Goldman's legacy endures through his captivating and immersive narratives.

Watch the video capturing the heart-warming moment when Bo received his much-deserved Oscar:

Key Takeaways
  • Two-time Oscar winner and renowned screenwriter Bo Goldman, best known for penning One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, has passed away at 90.
  • Goldman leaves behind five children and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
  • Goldman had a prestigious career in Hollywood, receiving numerous accolades for his heartfelt, realistic and inclusive screenplays.
  • Goldman faced personal tragedy when his eldest son passed away. His wife, to whom he was married for 63 years, passed away in 2017.

As we let the rolling credits of Goldman's life start to fade, let us remember the unforgettable man behind the stories that we, and future generations, will continue to enjoy.

The next time you stumble upon One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or Scent of a Woman, pause to appreciate the brilliance behind those narratives—it’s none other than Bo Goldman.

Here's to Bo Goldman, who captured life in his scripts, and in turn, enriched ours.

Fare thee well, Bo Goldman, and thank you for the tales.

Sponsored
I hate these type of headlines .. (Click grabs). Twitter infuriates me with people trending, and the first thought is someone, especially older, celebs have died!