Keg

Jul 15, 2022
Looking forward with the occasional glance backwards

Hi All.

Thank you to those who dreamed this forum up, to those who maintain it's pulse and to you members who make it lively.

My far-better-half of 36 years and myself are gambolling downhill to our retirement with Grey Nomadding the immediate outlook.

Both of us are still working. Both in over 65s transport services but separate employers.
We love our jobs but 52 years is enough. We want to test "getting on each other's nerves" for a while.

Currently working through the dreaming, planning, reality checks, re-planning, research, more reality checks and more planning.

Where will we enjoy the next phase of our lives together? (and let's face it, probably the last phase together.) Eighteen months of discussion has produced an epiphany... We are leaving our home town after 36 years of 6-8 month long winters. These 60+ year old skins are getting thinner by the season.

So that has narrowed down our future location to... the rest of Australia? No, we have narrowed that down further to:
*Somewhere on the Murray.​
*Queensland with all the rest of the folks seeking (cold) weather asylum.​
*Western Australia.​
Motivating and mitigating factors, (as most of you will have experienced)
* Kids and grandkids, their circumstances, locations and travel requirements in either direction.​
* Siblings, their circumstances, locations and relationships.​
* Timing.​
* Real Estate markets​
* Downsizing home design...bedrooms, bathrooms, garage size...? (I am a potterer, I need a daytime doghouse to potter around in/be banished to.)​
* Location/genre of the new place... house/unit/villa/duplex, proximity to transport/shopping medical/hospital, stand alone/ over 55's village/estate/ rural, etc?​
* Financial position and how far it can take us.​
Mmmm. work in progress...

Any tips would be much appreciated.

So, thank you for the opportunity and your time if you have stayed with this, thus far.

Keg.

• Love
Reactions: Sethia Soliman
Hi All.

Thank you to those who dreamed this forum up, to those who maintain it's pulse and to you members who make it lively.

My far-better-half of 36 years and myself are gambolling downhill to our retirement with Grey Nomadding the immediate outlook.

Both of us are still working. Both in over 65s transport services but separate employers.
We love our jobs but 52 years is enough. We want to test "getting on each other's nerves" for a while.

Currently working through the dreaming, planning, reality checks, re-planning, research, more reality checks and more planning.

Where will we enjoy the next phase of our lives together? (and let's face it, probably the last phase together.) Eighteen months of discussion has produced an epiphany... We are leaving our home town after 36 years of 6-8 month long winters. These 60+ year old skins are getting thinner by the season.

So that has narrowed down our future location to... the rest of Australia? No, we have narrowed that down further to:
*Somewhere on the Murray.​
*Queensland with all the rest of the folks seeking (cold) weather asylum.​
*Western Australia.​
Motivating and mitigating factors, (as most of you will have experienced)
* Kids and grandkids, their circumstances, locations and travel requirements in either direction.​
* Siblings, their circumstances, locations and relationships.​
* Timing.​
* Real Estate markets​
* Downsizing home design...bedrooms, bathrooms, garage size...? (I am a potterer, I need a daytime doghouse to potter around in/be banished to.)​
* Location/genre of the new place... house/unit/villa/duplex, proximity to transport/shopping medical/hospital, stand alone/ over 55's village/estate/ rural, etc?​
* Financial position and how far it can take us.​
Mmmm. work in progress...

Any tips would be much appreciated.

So, thank you for the opportunity and your time if you have stayed with this, thus far.

Keg.
Hello, @Keg ! This is such a lovely introduction. Welcome to the forum! Also, congratulations on your retirement! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us :) We're wishing you the best things and hoping everything goes to plan! ❤️❤️