Long receipt for one item leaves Woolies shopper wondering why

Shopping at Woolworths can be a convenient and pleasant experience, but one shopper recently encountered something peculiar and unexpected that left them scratching their head.

Imagine this: you are just about to finish your shopping, and the cashier hands you a receipt so long that it would make the Murray river look like a stream.

The shopper was so taken aback by the length of the receipt that they took to social media to share their shock and disbelief.

The photo they posted showed the receipt stretched out almost the length of the car's windscreen and steering wheel, leaving us wondering if this was a new form of paper art.

The shopper asked on social media, 'All of this paper for one item. Is this really necessary?'

The post quickly got the attention of people on social media, leaving many to question the need for such lengthy receipts, especially as the world tries to move towards a more eco-friendly and sustainable future.

400e19f73efdb00f32f05a9887a541f7f2bd946e-161x229-x96y0w1440h2048.jpeg
A Woolies customer was surprised to get such a long receipt for just one item he purchased from the store. Credit: Twitter/CodeRatchet.

This isn't the first time shoppers have raised concerns about the excessive length of receipts from the supermarket. In fact, it has become a recurring theme among several shoppers, with reports of receipts measuring the length of, quite literally, an arm or a leg.

One shopper shared images on social media to show that her Woolworths docket measured the length of her arm after buying just one item. Another customer shared on social media that her receipt was as long as her leg after purchasing a handful of items from the supermarket.

These receipts, which often include shopping offers and store information, have left some shoppers questioning the necessity of such excessive uses of paper.

It's not often that a receipt becomes the center of attention, but these lengthy Woolworths receipts are leaving customers scratching their heads and raising concerns.

But it’s not all negative, and we have to give credit where it’s due. In response to customers' complaints regarding long receipts, Woolworths has now made it possible for Everyday Rewards members to opt for paperless receipts.

The spokesperson from Woolies said: 'Our eReceipts functionality available within the Everyday Rewards app was launched with the goal of streamlining the checkout experience for customers whilst also supporting our wider group sustainability commitments.'

The eReceipts feature has been a hit among shoppers, with over one million members choosing to opt out of paper receipts. This has resulted in an average savings of 13 metres of paper per customer each year!

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 11.55.59 AM.png
Digital receipts, or eReceipts, allow you to store all your receipts from Woolworths, BIG W, and BWS in a single, easy-to-find location. Credit: Woolworths Everyday Rewards.

The next time you shop at Woolworths, don't forget to sign up for the Everyday Rewards program and make the switch to paperless receipts and join the thousands of other Aussies who have already made the switch and are saving paper and the environment.

And if you're a member of the Everyday Rewards program already, then you can disable paper receipts completely by updating your receipt settings through the app.

These eReceipts are just like the paper receipts we're used to, except they work digitally – of course, they can be used to get refunds too!
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths supermarket customer recently shared his disbelief after receiving a very long paper docket for just one item.
  • Woolworths now offers paperless receipts to Everyday Rewards members, allowing them to opt out of paper receipts and instead receive eReceipts.
  • These digital receipts provide customers with the same functionality as traditional paper receipts, including refunds, and can be accessed in their Everyday Rewards app.
Are you ready to take your Woolworths shopping experience to the next level? Look no further! You can download the Woolworths app through the links provided here: for Apple/iPhone users and for Android users.

Not only will the app provide you with a seamless shopping experience, but it also offers exclusive deals, personalised coupons, and easy access to your Everyday Rewards account. Plus, you can also use the app to order groceries online and schedule a pickup or delivery.

Tip
If you are having trouble downloading an app on your mobile phone, don't worry -we’ve got you covered! We have created a step-by-step guide to help you download any app, regardless of the type of device you have - just check out this previous article.

It's a debate that has divided shoppers for years, and as the world moves towards a more digital future, the question remains: are paper receipts becoming a thing of the past?

Some argue that the convenience and eco-friendliness of digital receipts outweigh the sentimental value of paper. Others, on the other hand, say that paper receipts are a necessary part of the shopping experience and should be preserved.

So, members, what's your take on the paper vs digital receipts debate? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Shopping at Woolworths can be a convenient and pleasant experience, but one shopper recently encountered something peculiar and unexpected that left them scratching their head.

Imagine this: you are just about to finish your shopping, and the cashier hands you a receipt so long that it would make the Murray river look like a stream.

The shopper was so taken aback by the length of the receipt that they took to social media to share their shock and disbelief.

The photo they posted showed the receipt stretched out almost the length of the car's windscreen and steering wheel, leaving us wondering if this was a new form of paper art.

The shopper asked on social media, 'All of this paper for one item. Is this really necessary?'

The post quickly got the attention of people on social media, leaving many to question the need for such lengthy receipts, especially as the world tries to move towards a more eco-friendly and sustainable future.

View attachment 11843
A Woolies customer was surprised to get such a long receipt for just one item he purchased from the store. Credit: Twitter/CodeRatchet.

This isn't the first time shoppers have raised concerns about the excessive length of receipts from the supermarket. In fact, it has become a recurring theme among several shoppers, with reports of receipts measuring the length of, quite literally, an arm or a leg.

One shopper shared images on social media to show that her Woolworths docket measured the length of her arm after buying just one item. Another customer shared on social media that her receipt was as long as her leg after purchasing a handful of items from the supermarket.

These receipts, which often include shopping offers and store information, have left some shoppers questioning the necessity of such excessive uses of paper.

It's not often that a receipt becomes the center of attention, but these lengthy Woolworths receipts are leaving customers scratching their heads and raising concerns.

But it’s not all negative, and we have to give credit where it’s due. In response to customers' complaints regarding long receipts, Woolworths has now made it possible for Everyday Rewards members to opt for paperless receipts.

The spokesperson from Woolies said: 'Our eReceipts functionality available within the Everyday Rewards app was launched with the goal of streamlining the checkout experience for customers whilst also supporting our wider group sustainability commitments.'

The eReceipts feature has been a hit among shoppers, with over one million members choosing to opt out of paper receipts. This has resulted in an average savings of 13 metres of paper per customer each year!

View attachment 11844
Digital receipts, or eReceipts, allow you to store all your receipts from Woolworths, BIG W, and BWS in a single, easy-to-find location. Credit: Woolworths Everyday Rewards.

The next time you shop at Woolworths, don't forget to sign up for the Everyday Rewards program and make the switch to paperless receipts and join the thousands of other Aussies who have already made the switch and are saving paper and the environment.

And if you're a member of the Everyday Rewards program already, then you can disable paper receipts completely by updating your receipt settings through the app.

These eReceipts are just like the paper receipts we're used to, except they work digitally – of course, they can be used to get refunds too!
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths supermarket customer recently shared his disbelief after receiving a very long paper docket for just one item.
  • Woolworths now offers paperless receipts to Everyday Rewards members, allowing them to opt out of paper receipts and instead receive eReceipts.
  • These digital receipts provide customers with the same functionality as traditional paper receipts, including refunds, and can be accessed in their Everyday Rewards app.
Are you ready to take your Woolworths shopping experience to the next level? Look no further! You can download the Woolworths app through the links provided here: for Apple/iPhone users and for Android users.

Not only will the app provide you with a seamless shopping experience, but it also offers exclusive deals, personalised coupons, and easy access to your Everyday Rewards account. Plus, you can also use the app to order groceries online and schedule a pickup or delivery.

Tip
If you are having trouble downloading an app on your mobile phone, don't worry -we’ve got you covered! We have created a step-by-step guide to help you download any app, regardless of the type of device you have - just check out this previous article.

It's a debate that has divided shoppers for years, and as the world moves towards a more digital future, the question remains: are paper receipts becoming a thing of the past?

Some argue that the convenience and eco-friendliness of digital receipts outweigh the sentimental value of paper. Others, on the other hand, say that paper receipts are a necessary part of the shopping experience and should be preserved.

So, members, what's your take on the paper vs digital receipts debate? Let us know in the comments!
You can get electronic receipt from Woolies and their associated businesses, the receipts are on the Rewards app.. much more user friendly than having a piece of paper.

If you don't have a paper receipt to check the price you have been charged this will make it easier for Woolies (& other supermarkets) to overcharge with little risk they will be found out. I check my paper receipt before I leave the car park & have often found I have been overcharged for something. This allows me to easily go back inside the store & get a refund. This is also another way supermarkets can make bigger profits which would not be passed to their customers. First, self-serve checkouts so they don't pay for staff, now "paperless receipts". What next? Do they want me to mop the floor or stack their shelves?

I don’t care how long the receipt is. I just want to be given one without having to ask for it, and without being asked if I want one. Most supermarkets and many other retail outlets either ask if you need your receipt or don’t offer a receipt, especially for small purchases. I want to be able to check immediately that I’ve been charged correctly. And if I have to take an item back for some reason, I want proof of purchase in my hand.

View attachment 11843

View attachment 11844

Key Takeaways

Tip

I signed up for digital receipts. Great idea...but. They do not arrive in your phone instantly. I find that I have driven home and only then has it arrived on my phone. By this time it is too late to check if I have been overcharged and then I have to drive back and get a refund. This happened last week. Item at half price on clearance and I was charged full price. I was over charged two dollars fifty cents. I even messaged woolworths to complain and never had the courtesy of a reply.

Then, of course, with the non-use of cash looming for when you do your shopping and getting more strongly endorsed by the financial end of town, that is going to make life in general for the older generation soooo much better, isn't it?

If you don't have a paper receipt to check the price you have been charged this will make it easier for Woolies (& other supermarkets) to overcharge with little risk they will be found out. I check my paper receipt before I leave the car park & have often found I have been overcharged for something. This allows me to easily go back inside the store & get a refund. This is also another way supermarkets can make bigger profits which would not be passed to their customers. First, self-serve checkouts so they don't pay for staff, now "paperless receipts". What next? Do they want me to mop the floor or stack their shelves?

Reactions: Ricci
I have digital receipt. But I normally do the maths as I put groceries on my trolley/basket, so by the time I scan the goodies,I know exactly how much I am going to pay. And check prices as I scan the items

Reactions: Ricci
I use my paper receipts and will always ask for one. The reason being - I use an excel spreadsheet to record ALL of my expenses, so when I see what I spend on "useless" stuff, I can cut down on my spending. I use the Woollies one to separate fridge/freezer, fruit and veg, household/cleaning, meat and pantry. This shows over the month where all of my money goes. I have been doing this for years and it helps me to not overspend on stuff (like t/a ). Having the paper receipt allows me to sit at my computer when I get home, and add up all the different categories. (P.S. if anyone wants to know more about the spreadsheet, just ask).

You can check your items off on your paperless receipt just the same and also use it to go back and get refunds, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

View attachment 11843

View attachment 11844

Key Takeaways

Tip

Paper receipt might just save your life. You might need kindling? You might need some paper in your car to write on in a hurry? You might need some paper in your car if you're "caught short" on a long trip Outback (best of luck with that one!)..... Is it REALLY that big a deal?

Probably Elaine!!!

Reactions: paulamc52 and RTS
I'm with you elaine41 !!

Reactions: RTS

View attachment 11843

View attachment 11844

Key Takeaways

Tip

Another show off that wants to be famous on social media. 🙄

I've been getting digital receipts for ages there. Everything's on my phone. When paying I go to my Rewards app. Press the Pay section. The digital Rewards card appears. Open the QR scanner and I pay and get the points in one go and I check the digital receipt on the way out of the store. Dead simple.

Why is that such a problem for some people?🤔 For some reason people just want to make a fuss about something?
Should I complain that it takes away somebody's job to physically take my card and scan it themselves? 😂😂😂

And, what about the people who do not have mobile phones or, have a mobile phone but do not have the internet! Not everybody can afford or want a mobile phone and or internet!

😂😂😂😂😂
This answer is as stupid as the ridiculous response to self serve checkouts.

Why on earth would it be a problem to have a digital receipt directly on your phone which takes seconds to look at and check? I check mine as soon as I'm out of the door. Twice I've found something wrong, gone back into customer service and sorted out straight away.

So because of people like you they've got to waste many dollars on keep buying thousands of paper rolls for their tills because some people don't want to be in the modern age? 🙄

• Angry
Reactions: elaine41
I don’t care how long the receipt is. I just want to be given one without having to ask for it, and without being asked if I want one. Most supermarkets and many other retail outlets either ask if you need your receipt or don’t offer a receipt, especially for small purchases. I want to be able to check immediately that I’ve been charged correctly. And if I have to take an item back for some reason, I want proof of purchase in my hand.
I hate it when they ask “do you want a recept”?

Reactions: elaine41