Local woman prevents freezing windshields with one simple tip: 'I do this too!'

As the chilly season descends upon Australia, frosty mornings become a common gripe, especially for early risers who need to get on the road.

Scraping ice off car windshields could be a time-consuming and finger-numbing task that no one looks forward to.

What if there was a simple, ingenious way to avoid this winter woe?

A savvy Melbourne woman shared a tip that could keep your car's windshield clear of ice overnight.

The trick is as straightforward as it is surprising.

Before you turn in for the night, take a bath towel and lay it over your windshield.

The towel acts as a barrier that collects ice, so your windshield stays clear.

compressed-pexels-frozen car.jpeg
Cleaning frozen windshields could be a time-consuming task for drivers. Image Credit: Pexels/Mikey Dabro

When it's time to use the car, remove the towel, and you're ready to hit the road without de-icing.

She shared the tip on social media to showcase the tip's effectiveness.

'You learned a trick to help with Melbourne's frosty mornings,' she wrote on the video.

This trick garnered attention from fellow drivers online.

'I do this in Tassie as soon as it's winter,' one commenter wrote.

Some drivers also offered their variations of the trick.

'Sunshade works even better,' one wrote.

'Bucket of cold water for the win, I say!' a second exclaimed.

'Newspaper works too with wipers on top,' a third commented.

'Isopropyl alcohol + water; one to three mixture. Spray on, and it will melt the ice,' a fourth shared.

For those seeking additional options, Barum Tyres also recommended using cardboard or a shower curtain as towel substitutes.

Any non-scratch barrier between the ice and the windshield could work fine.

They also suggested covering side mirrors with freezer or plastic bags to keep them ice-free.

For drivers who can park strategically, positioning your car facing to the east could also be beneficial.

If there are no obstructions, the rising sun will naturally defrost your windshield, provided you don't need to leave before dawn/

However, if you find yourself unprepared with an icy windshield, you could scrape the ice off with a plastic card from your wallet.

Remember, never use hot or boiling water to remove the ice, as the sudden temperature change could damage or crack the windshield.
Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne woman shared a helpful tip to prevent windscreens from icing over.
  • The trick used a bath towel over the windscreen overnight, which could collect the frost instead of forming on the glass.
  • Viewers of the video suggested alternatives and their methods for keeping windscreens ice-free, using items like sunshades, newspapers, and cardboard.
  • Barum Tyres also shared some tips, such as covering side mirrors with plastic bags secured by rubber bands, parking facing east, and using a plastic card to scrape off ice.
Do you have any frost-fighting techniques at home? Share your experiences and tips with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
When we lived in England, my husband always used newspaper held to the windscreen with the wipers and it worked well. No ice on the windows and found that using water of any kind was bad for the windscreen and did not necessarily clear it.

Reactions: Marilynne
When I lived in Canberra and drove an old Mini i used to use 2 hessian bags (Snagged from the briquette deliveries) - 1 over the windscreen and the second over the front of the car for added protection from the cold. worked most days