• 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon bi carb of soda
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • icing:
  • 3/4 cup icing sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions​

1. Preheat oven to 175°C 155°C fan-forced. Grease and flour a loaf pan .
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, bi carb and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
  3. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
  4. In a small bowl, mix icing ingredients. Spoon over loaves

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Oh dear @Suzanne rose you bring back so many memories of my Mum's baking and cooking! Didn't you and Mum have a thing going on, sharing recipes? Probably a fair chance you knew her as well!
There used to be a great cake shop in Riverwood that sold the most freshest and yummiest cakes. They used to sell lemon and orange cakes and my nan said why buy one when she can make one. Which she did
So from the cake shop I would get either a neenish tart , a cream bun or a butterfly cake, all of which I now make.

I think you would be very very lucky to find a cake shop around like that one now.

At least it's a good memory

There used to be a great cake shop in Riverwood that sold the most freshest and yummiest cakes. They used to sell lemon and orange cakes and my nan said why buy one when she can make one. Which she did
So from the cake shop I would get either a neenish tart , a cream bun or a butterfly cake, all of which I now make.

I think you would be very very lucky to find a cake shop around like that one now.

At least it's a good memory
Most kids today would never have heard of a cream bun. Used to buy from the school tuck-shop.
Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.