1 teaspoon grated zest of lemon
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/3 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

Lemon Glaze
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
A few grates of lemon zest, plus extra for topping - if you want.

With an electric mixer cream butter and sugar until pale. Then mix in eggs, one at a time.
Stir in lemon zest and juice then fold in flour, baking powder and poppy seeds.

Pour batter into lined loaf tin.
Oven at 180 Fan Forced degrees or 200 conventional. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until skewer test is clean.

While loaf is cooking, combine glaze ingredients - this will dissolve the sugar with the lemon juice.
Remove cooked loaf from oven and drizzle syrup all over allowing it to soak in.
When cool, turn loaf out and decorate with extra lemon zest (if using).

IMG2024052214.jpg
IMG202405221.jpg
IMG20240522151024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Penny my kitchen will be installed in 3 weeks. Omg it's had many many changes. Now it's a matter of bench top.
I'm happy with either stone or laminate which will either be the black in picture or a wood look.
Which would you do ?
Hubby wants solid wood but is alot of looking after and I said no.

This is the exact kitchen including the tiles and floor. The pantry will be slightly not as deep and 3 doors and next to the pantry closer to the oven will be a two door fridge sunken into the wall.Screenshot_20240522_184712_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240522_184753_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240522_184737_Gallery.jpg

Penny my kitchen will be installed in 3 weeks. Omg it's had many many changes. Now it's a matter of bench top.
I'm happy with either stone or laminate which will either be the black in picture or a wood look.
Which would you do ?
Hubby wants solid wood but is alot of looking after and I said no.

This is the exact kitchen including the tiles and floor. The pantry will be slightly not as deep and 3 doors and next to the pantry closer to the oven will be a two door fridge sunken into the wall.View attachment 49219View attachment 49220View attachment 49221
How exciting!
Wooden bench tops are very popular in the UK, and I've always loved the look of it here too. Laminate is hard wearing and a breeze to clean. I personally wouldn't use stone, as it contains silica that causes Silicosis for tradies. My father was a cabinet maker, so I know the pitfalls of chemical compounds. Stainless steel bench tops are getting popular in domestic kitchen bench tops now too. However, seeing you've have lots of changes, you need to stick with what you've decided. The snapshot looks lovely!

Reactions: Marilynne