Legendary 'Hungry Eyes' and 'All By Myself' singer passes away at 74

The music world is mourning the loss of a beloved icon, Eric Carmen, whose soulful voice and poignant lyrics captured the hearts of fans around the globe.

At 74 years old, the singer-songwriter, famous for his classic hits 'Hungry Eyes' and 'All By Myself,' has left an indelible mark on the lives of many.

Eric’s death was confirmed by his wife, Amy, saying, 'It is with tremendous sadness that we share the heartbreaking news of the passing of Eric Carmen.'

'Our sweet, loving and talented Eric passed away in his sleep over the weekend.'

'It brought him great joy to know that for decades, his music touched so many and will be his lasting legacy.'

'Please respect the family’s privacy as we mourn our enormous loss.'

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 8.26.35 AM.png
May Eric Carmen rest in peace. Image source: X/@ChartsArchive.

Amy ended the announcement with a reference to Eric’s 1977 song 'Love Is All That Matters'.

'Love Is All That Matters…Faithful and Forever.'

Eric’s cause of death was not disclosed.

Eric’s journey to stardom began in the vibrant music scene of the 1970s with the creation of The Raspberries, a band that blended power pop and rock to create a sound that was both fresh and nostalgic.

The band's breakthrough single was 'Go All The Way'.

The Raspberries' success was a springboard for Eric’s solo career, which soared to new heights with the release of ballads like 'All By Myself' and 'Never Gonna Fall In Love Again’.

However, it was the 1987 hit 'Hungry Eyes', featured on the iconic Dirty Dancing soundtrack, that cemented Eric’s place in pop culture history.

The song's infectious melody and romantic lyrics became synonymous with the film's passionate story, and its legacy was further extended when it was adopted by the fast-food chain Hungry Jacks for their advertising.

Despite the success of 'Hungry Eyes' and the follow-up single 'Make Me Lose Control', Eric’s presence on the charts waned.

Yet, his influence on music remained undeniable.

In the mid-2000s, The Raspberries gave their fans a gift by reuniting for a series of performances and a live album recorded in Los Angeles and released in 2005.

'People used to ask me, “Why don’t you guys get together and just play one gig?”' Eric shared in an interview.

'Because it takes the same amount of preparation for one good show as a six-month tour.'

'I never wanted to be the guy to put this band back on a stage and pop everyone’s bubble and have them go home saying “Oh, they weren’t that good.”'

He also added that the fact that the band broke up on bad terms in the 1970s did not help.

'But 30 years have passed, and everybody is a grown-up now, with a life,' he said.

Eric also participated in Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band in 2000, a collaboration that brought musicians who had grown up loving the Beatles.

You can listen to Eric’s hit song, 'All By Myself', below:

Video source: Youtube/Music Over The Years.

He is survived by his wife Amy, whom he married in 2016.

His melodies will continue to echo through the ages, a testament to a talent that transcended time and genre.
Key Takeaways
  • Eric Carmen, the singer known for hits like 'Hungry Eyes' and 'All By Myself', has died at the age of 74.
  • His death was confirmed by his wife Amy, who shared the news on his official website, stating he passed away in his sleep over the weekend.
  • Although the cause of death was not revealed, Amy’s statement noted that his music, which had touched many, would be his lasting legacy.
  • Carmen found fame with The Raspberries in the 1970s and went on to have a successful solo career, with his music being featured on the Dirty Dancing soundtrack and in advertising for Hungry Jacks.
We extend our deepest sympathies to his wife Amy, his family, friends, and the countless fans who have been touched by his music. Eric Carmen's artistry will live on, as will the memories he created for so many through his heartfelt songs.

May Eric rest in peace.

Sponsored
It wasn't until I played the video did I realise who he was. Such a beautiful song and sound.
Over all these years, living life as you do, only when an obscure name dies, you think who?
I liked all his songs.
Yes me too - I didn’t even remember him from the Raspberries, let alone his solo name but I sure remembered and loved all his songs!

I cannot believe people didn't recognise his name, obviously not music lovers, that's the problem with the generation that was brought up being brainwashed that the Mersey sound was music, something like the current mob thinking that (c)rap is music I guess.
As for your headline "Front man of popular group dies" OMG he left the group when it wound up over 50 years ago (or more). Whether fronting The Raspberries back then or singing sole Eric will be a classic musical memory in so many music lovers minds.

I cannot believe people didn't recognise his name, obviously not music lovers, that's the problem with the generation that was brought up being brainwashed that the Mersey sound was music, something like the current mob thinking that (c)rap is music I guess.
As for your headline "Front man of popular group dies" OMG he left the group when it wound up over 50 years ago (or more). Whether fronting The Raspberries back then or singing sole Eric will be a classic musical memory in so many music lovers minds.
Maybe hit a little below the belt as my band back in the late 60's, early 70's played a fair amount of the Liverpool stuff albeit without that awful scouse accent hahaha.

Again not recognise name but did from his photo and his songs,at least they will live on beautiful music