Legendary Australian artist passes away: Celebrating the life and legacy of John Olsen

The art community is mourning the loss of Australian art icon John Olsen – one of the nation’s most prolific, acclaimed, and celebrated artists known for his distinctive depictions of the Australian landscape.

The 95-year-old passed away on Tuesday surrounded by family, with a career that spanned more than 60 years and exhibitions in galleries across Australia and overseas. He was a winner of the Archibald, Wynne and Sulman prizes.

John Olsen also dabbled in ceramics, tapestry, and printmaking. However, painting was his favourite creative endeavour.

His six-decade career was spent constantly exploring and expanding the theme of landscapes, often interpreting them in lyrical and optimistic artworks. In some of his paintings, he also ventured into the urban environment, food, and portraiture themes.

Tim Olsen, a gallerist and Mr Olsen’s son, said his father ‘changed the perspective and way that Australians looked at magnificent landscapes’.

‘He was a landscape poet to the end and a titan of the Australian art world,’ he said.

art1.jpg
Mr Olsen left a colourful legacy through his artworks. Credit: Steve Johnson/Pexels

Born in Newcastle, New South Wales, in 1928, Mr Olsen went to school in Sydney and studied art at the Julian Ashton Art School while cleaning offices at night. He also went to Datillo Rubbo Art School and then enrolled in East Sydney Technical College (now known as the National Art School), where he was taught by John Passmore, a renowned Australian philosopher. It was then that he made a name for himself in his studio discipline and explored his love of life.

‘It took a lot of courage to be an artist in those days, and he had no hesitation but to run with it and in art, he found his calling,’ Tim said.

In 1955 he took part in the important exhibition Contemporary Australian paintings: Pacific loan exhibition, and in 1956 showed in the benchmark exhibition of abstract works Direction 1 with John Passmore and Robert Klippel.

Sponsored by art collector Robert Shaw, Mr Olsen moved to Europe and studied printmaking under Stanley William Hayter in Paris. He then lived in an artist colony in Mallorca, where he met the poet and historian Robert Graves.

Mr Graves then told Mr Olsen: ‘You can paint pretty pictures all your life, but without metaphor, you’ve got nothing. Read avidly and embrace poetry.’

‘And for the rest of his life, [he] never ran out of ideas,’ Tim shared.

art2.jpg
Art by John Olsen called Five Bells, painted in 1963. Credit: Art Gallery of NSW

Ms Olsen then returned to Australia, now inspired to paint nature and the landscapes of his own country. He created the You Beaut Country series and cemented his place among Australia’s artistic visionaries.

Tim shared: ‘When art was taking itself so seriously, he brought in the whimsical. He was one of those artists where people could look at his work and smile.’

In 1971, Mr Olsen was commissioned to paint the mural Salute to Five Bells for the Sydney Opera House. This artwork was inspired by the poem of Australian poet Kenneth Slessor, and it still hangs in the northern foyer of the building today.

Upon seeing this artwork on display recently, Mr Olsen reportedly told his son: ‘When you consider contemporary art today, I was well ahead of my time. The painting has come into its own.’

Olsen received numerous other awards in his long career, including an OBE in 1977.

Mr Olsen also received an Order of Australia in 2001 before revealing that art was a form of compulsion for him – a trait he started developing at age four.

‘Artists are born, not made,’ he shared.

He won the Archibald for Self-portrait Janus Faced in 2005, the Wynne Prize for The Chasing Bird Landscape in 1969 and A Road to Clarendon: Autumn in 1985, and the Sulman Prize for Don Quixote Enters the Inn in 1989.

In 2022, Mr Olsen spoke to the Australian Associated Press (AAP) about his love of rural and remote Australia after depicting its landscapes and capturing wild terrain in most of his paintings. He donated several of his works to a regional NSW gallery.

‘To be an Australian landscape painter is to be an explorer. There is so much to look at and observe about the Australian landscape, how it varies from tropical to the coastal fringe and the interior. It's so multiple. It's a beautiful animal, that landscape,’ he told reporters.

art3.jpg
A painting included in Mr Olsen’s You Beaut Country series depicting the Australian landscape. Credit: NGV Vic

A tribute to his six-decade-long career will be held at the Sydney Opera House next month, in time for the Vivid Festival. The tribute will showcase his works and endearing fascination with Australia.

Later this year, a three-volume set of his diaries and sketchbooks will be published by the National Library of Australia. The Olsen family was also reported to be working on a comprehensive listing of all his known works.

According to his son, Mr Olsen was still working on his art until Saturday afternoon before his health deteriorated. ‘It was almost as if he knew it was coming,’ Tim explained.
Key Takeaways
  • Renowned Australian artist John Olsen has passed away at the age of 95, surrounded by his family.
  • Olsen was known for his distinctive depictions of landscapes and nature, with a career spanning over 60 years.
  • Among his acclaimed works is Salute to Five Bells, which hangs in the Sydney Opera House. A tribute to Olsen will be displayed on the building's sails during the Vivid Sydney festival next month.
  • Olsen received numerous awards throughout his career, including the Archibald, Wynne, and Sulman prizes, as well as an Order of Australia in 2001 and an OBE in 1977.
Were you lucky enough to see any of John’s art in person? Which is your favourite piece?

Sponsored
I'm not a big fan of abstract painting . I've seen a few of his pieces .
The first time was at the art gallery Sydney but I'll be honest I wasn't a huge fan , some of his work reminded me of art class in school where you blob paint on one side of the paper and fold it.

The second time was when I went to a gallery in Wallarah NSW and saw one of his paintings that I loved , the colours were reds, browns and black and it was an abstract, I think the name was Billy Rose , I was surprised how nuch I liked it .

I normally like landscape painting .

He was a very talented Artist who alot appreciated unfortunately Im not one iff them.

sounds like he had an interesting and a very good life.

Rest In Peace

Last edited:
Never heard of him, mind you I'm not a a big art fan, I do like what I can see stuff. That is , landscapes , seascapes etc all the modern trash is crap that looks like its been painted by 4 yr olds while on a sugar hypo.

Always liked that explorer guy with the sigma stn wagon that would drive into the desert/bush to paint, um Jack Absalom, also the only aboriginal art I like was Albert Namatjira's beautiful stuff

I'm not a huge lover of art, but I know what I like and I'm sorry his art doesn't cut it with me. I have some paintings that my kids did in primary school that could give his a run for their money. I like my art to actually look like what it's supposed to be, be that a landscape, portrait or still life. People may say I have no sophistication or appreciation of art for art's sake, whatever that phrase means, and I don't care, each to their own. ;)

I also had not heard of him and maybe because I'm interested in the type of artwork that he did.

Having said that, may this gentleman RIP as his works are known in the art world.

Heard of him briefly,not my cup of tea ,I'm a artist and like paintings to look like what you are painting. But that said and done everyone always has a different opinion of what is art,and what is a great painting abstract is not for me
Never heard of him, mind you I'm not a a big art fan, I do like what I can see stuff. That is , landscapes , seascapes etc all the modern trash is crap that looks like its been painted by 4 yr olds while on a sugar hypo.

Always liked that explorer guy with the sigma stn wagon that would drive into the desert/bush to paint, um Jack Absalom, also the only aboriginal art I like was Albert Namatjira's beautiful stuff

Reactions: Ricci
Have another input,think paintings are elevated by some people that think they know what they are looking at and get paid for being a critic. Years ago in New York this was proved by someone hating abstract the four paintings were by a 3yr old, a monkey a well known artist and a amateur. A well know bunch of art critics were asked to look at the four abstract paintings and rate them. So the critics were asked to pick what they thought was the best abstract composition.One painting was picked most ,punch line it was painted by the monkey which proves beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not everyone knows what they are talking about

• Haha
Reactions: Ellenni and Ricci

Do you know how difficult it is to paint in the abstract. I tried and tried but to no avail because my talent, modest though it is, lies in writing. We are all entitled to our own opinion but to call a body of work crap is an insult to that person's talent. Just by the way you do know there is no such thing as a sugar high.
We who are creative beings don't worry about those who denigrate our work. I write poetry knowing not everyone will like my work. Next time you take a look at a piece of abstract art try and see what the artist is showing you. A painting can show happiness, sadness, anger, joy and all those wonderful feelings a person can experience. Abstract painting not random splops of colour they are planned by the artist who has a vision. You may want to view a painting by Rothko which will really challenge you.

Reactions: Ricci and Nichola
Art is an expression of yourself whether it be poetry, paint, sculpture or many of the arts we know and some we don't. We all have an opinion but don't criticize what you don't like or understand unless you are prepared to take others criticism of you or your talents. Just because we don't understand or agree doesn't mean we are wrong and you are right. Be kind always!!!

Do you know how difficult it is to paint in the abstract. I tried and tried but to no avail because my talent, modest though it is, lies in writing. We are all entitled to our own opinion but to call a body of work crap is an insult to that person's talent. Just by the way you do know there is no such thing as a sugar high.
We who are creative beings don't worry about those who denigrate our work. I write poetry knowing not everyone will like my work. Next time you take a look at a piece of abstract art try and see what the artist is showing you. A painting can show happiness, sadness, anger, joy and all those wonderful feelings a person can experience. Abstract painting not random splops of colour they are planned by the artist who has a vision. You may want to view a painting by Rothko which will really challenge you.
Well said, Elleni. I have been a professional artist for many years. That old chestnut, 'my five year old could do better than that' is so tired - it really is.

we creative beings like me I'm a published author of poems and short stories, so there BRONX Cheer