Lamb Shanks in Red Wine Sauce

I made these tonight and they were demolished.

In my recipes when it calls for Red Wine I will say you can substitute it with beef stock, but this one you need the Red wine , you can use a cheap one ( I used one off hubby's $140 bottles 🙂)
I served it with mashed potatoes and peas
Screenshot_20240730_185256_Gallery.jpg

Ingredients​

• 6 lamb shanks
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil , separated
  • 1 large onion , finely diced
  • 3 garlic cloves , minced
  • 2 cups red wine not expensive!
  • 800 g can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 dried bay leaves

Instructions​

• Preheat the oven to 180°C (all oven types – fan and standard).
  • Season shanks – Pat the lamb shanks dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Screenshot_20240730_185233_Gallery.jpg
  • Brown – Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large heavy based pot over high heat. Sear the lamb shanks in 2 batches until brown all over, about 5 minutes. Remove lamb onto a plate and drain excess fat (if any) from the pot.
Screenshot_20240730_185238_Gallery.jpg
  • Turn the heat down to medium . Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same pot. Add the onion and garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Cook for 5 minutes until onion is translucent
  • Add the red wine, chicken stock, crushed tomato, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
  • Add shanks – Place the lamb shanks into the pot so they are mostly submerged.
Screenshot_20240730_185244_Gallery.jpg
  • Oven 2 hours covered – Turn stove up, bring to a simmer. Cover with a couple of layers of foil tightly then transfer to the oven for 3 hours
  • – Remove lid, then return to the oven for another 30 minutes (so 3 1/2 hours in total). Check to ensure lamb meat is ultra tender – if not, keep cooking in the oven , but truly it should be very soft
  • Serve the lamb shanks with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables of choice , but mashed potatoes are enough

Sponsored