Labor’s plan to solve the housing crisis and help pensioners with a financial boost

If you’ve been considering relocating and downsizing your home, this might be the perfect time to take the leap as the Labor government recently announced a proposal that could benefit thousands of pensioners.

Pensioners are set to receive greater financial incentives if they decide to downsize their homes in a bid to boost housing stock for families, as part of the Labor government’s promise to match a plan that was first proposed by the Coalition.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth stated that she hoped ‘thousands’ of older Australians would benefit from the change, which will lessen the impact on pension payments if homeowners make a considerable amount of money from their property sale.

‘We don’t want people putting off downsizing to a more suitable home because they are concerned about the impact it could have on their payment rate and overall income.’ she said.

ueoHZepVBpKe_FeNm_IXzCctI1OPFhrJjJAQqTY7iexDS7wDYceARi7cSat05MmLIcnNUXnDR629PNmu6Lq35AMj4sMptZml8FTtO85P9MxApVC2xF2QyWaD7C9vo3tRQQnx0hkaazlSpiumjCkoTQ7bPXsitjDwyMUWOChgbM84ePq1J-n2g746rA

Have you been thinking about downsizing your home? Source: Claridge Court

‘These changes will give pensioners more flexibility to find a suitable new home and it will, hopefully, free up larger housing stock for younger families who may need it.’

The changes–which will be introduced to the Parliament on Wednesday–extend the asset test exemption on home sale proceeds from 12 months to 24 months, giving pensioners more time to buy or build a new home before the extra money in their bank account begins to affect their pension payments.

The government will also decrease the deeming rate–which calculates income from assets–on home sale proceeds from 2.25 per cent to 0.25 per cent.

Rishworth’s office detailed that, under the current system, a couple that sells their home for $1 million could see their pension reduced by $229 per fortnight, while a single pensioner selling their home for $600,000 could have their pension reduced by $143 per fortnight. These proposed changes would see no reduction in pensions in either case.

Former Prime Minister Scott Morrison previously proposed the policy on 15 May, which is the weekend before the election. Albanese told ABC’s Insiders program on the same day that Labor would carry on with Coalition’s policy, calling it ‘a modest announcement to extend a downsizing program’.

‘This suggestion by the government is a practical one. We’ll support it, but we will have much more in our offer to the Australian people next Saturday.’ Albanese stated at the time.

The proposed changes are the latest initiatives to support pensioners. They came after an indexation increase to welfare payments was made earlier this week. The government also previously announced a new $4,000 work credit for pensioners to take on more employment without it affecting their payments, as one of the major outcomes of the Jobs and Skills Summit.

j2FrZcccDYbgKT6RLwsnPMi_4fO8ItCCLG7_GVOh-U9MAmp4192mSTWEsFFPpAmmRTkW5IEbRdRunt8j37PghWCZwTN5GJU_TIsodrN6ItA69WFx7yDaWl80OVBgBSfdpXlmhln1aywVHm7hvHg-mUNKgTBhV_f_hts8CSFh9K5mHWJV1DT9sanTFQ

A new program aims to support people with a disability. Source: iStock

In addition, Rishworth announced a new program that will provide job opportunities in the tourism, hospitality, accommodation, and visitor industry, particularly for those who have a disability.

In a joint announcement with the Tourism Minister, Don Farrell, Rishworth set aside $3.3 million for the Visitor Economy Disability Pilot, as last week’s jobs summit brought light to several challenges faced by people with a disability when finding employment.

More than half of Australians with a disability are currently in the labour force, a gap of roughly 30 per cent compared with the wider population. Sitting at 10 per cent is the unemployment rate for people with a disability, which is twice the rate compared to people without a disability.

‘Employing someone who is living with a disability should not be seen as a charitable act.’ Rishworth said. ‘It makes good business sense. When the visitor economy is crying out for workers, people living with a disability should get the same opportunities to have meaningful careers in the sector.’

The program will fund ‘local navigators’ in regional areas, who will assist businesses in looking for and hiring people with a disability.’

Farrell said that tourism was among the several key industries facing significant job shortages over the coming years.

‘The tourism sector is crying out for workers and if we can create pathways to open up jobs and careers for people living with disabilities in this sector, then it is a good thing for everyone.’

What are your thoughts about these changes? Do you think that they are in line with what seniors need? Anything that puts more money back in pensioners' pockets sounds good to us! Let us know in the comments.

Learn more about downsizing your home by watching the video below:

Source: One Minute Economics

Sponsored
If you’ve been considering relocating and downsizing your home, this might be the perfect time to take the leap as the Labor government recently announced a proposal that could benefit thousands of pensioners.

Pensioners are set to receive greater financial incentives if they decide to downsize their homes in a bid to boost housing stock for families, as part of the Labor government’s promise to match a plan that was first proposed by the Coalition.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth stated that she hoped ‘thousands’ of older Australians would benefit from the change, which will lessen the impact on pension payments if homeowners make a considerable amount of money from their property sale.

‘We don’t want people putting off downsizing to a more suitable home because they are concerned about the impact it could have on their payment rate and overall income.’ she said.

ueoHZepVBpKe_FeNm_IXzCctI1OPFhrJjJAQqTY7iexDS7wDYceARi7cSat05MmLIcnNUXnDR629PNmu6Lq35AMj4sMptZml8FTtO85P9MxApVC2xF2QyWaD7C9vo3tRQQnx0hkaazlSpiumjCkoTQ7bPXsitjDwyMUWOChgbM84ePq1J-n2g746rA

‘These changes will give pensioners more flexibility to find a suitable new home and it will, hopefully, free up larger housing stock for younger families who may need it.’

The changes–which will be introduced to the Parliament on Wednesday–extend the asset test exemption on home sale proceeds from 12 months to 24 months, giving pensioners more time to buy or build a new home before the extra money in their bank account begins to affect their pension payments.

The government will also decrease the deeming rate–which calculates income from assets–on home sale proceeds from 2.25 per cent to 0.25 per cent.

Rishworth’s office detailed that, under the current system, a couple that sells their home for $1 million could see their pension reduced by $229 per fortnight, while a single pensioner selling their home for $600,000 could have their pension reduced by $143 per fortnight. These proposed changes would see no reduction in pensions in either case.

Former Prime Minister Scott Morrison previously proposed the policy on 15 May, which is the weekend before the election. Albanese told ABC’s Insiders program on the same day that Labor would carry on with Coalition’s policy, calling it ‘a modest announcement to extend a downsizing program’.

‘This suggestion by the government is a practical one. We’ll support it, but we will have much more in our offer to the Australian people next Saturday.’ Albanese stated at the time.

The proposed changes are the latest initiatives to support pensioners. They came after an indexation increase to welfare payments was made earlier this week. The government also previously announced a new $4,000 work credit for pensioners to take on more employment without it affecting their payments, as one of the major outcomes of the Jobs and Skills Summit.

j2FrZcccDYbgKT6RLwsnPMi_4fO8ItCCLG7_GVOh-U9MAmp4192mSTWEsFFPpAmmRTkW5IEbRdRunt8j37PghWCZwTN5GJU_TIsodrN6ItA69WFx7yDaWl80OVBgBSfdpXlmhln1aywVHm7hvHg-mUNKgTBhV_f_hts8CSFh9K5mHWJV1DT9sanTFQ

In addition, Rishworth announced a new program that will provide job opportunities in the tourism, hospitality, accommodation, and visitor industry, particularly for those who have a disability.

In a joint announcement with the Tourism Minister, Don Farrell, Rishworth set aside $3.3 million for the Visitor Economy Disability Pilot, as last week’s jobs summit brought light to several challenges faced by people with a disability when finding employment.

More than half of Australians with a disability are currently in the labour force, a gap of roughly 30 per cent compared with the wider population. Sitting at 10 per cent is the unemployment rate for people with a disability, which is twice the rate compared to people without a disability.

‘Employing someone who is living with a disability should not be seen as a charitable act.’ Rishworth said. ‘It makes good business sense. When the visitor economy is crying out for workers, people living with a disability should get the same opportunities to have meaningful careers in the sector.’

The program will fund ‘local navigators’ in regional areas, who will assist businesses in looking for and hiring people with a disability.’

Farrell said that tourism was among the several key industries facing significant job shortages over the coming years.

‘The tourism sector is crying out for workers and if we can create pathways to open up jobs and careers for people living with disabilities in this sector, then it is a good thing for everyone.’

What are your thoughts about these changes? Do you think that they are in line with what seniors need? Anything that puts more money back in pensioners' pockets sounds good to us! Let us know in the comments.

As someone who chose to downsize some years ago there is merit in doing so. No longer have the upkeep of a large house. However there will be pushback from those who have large expensive homes who get the pension or a part pension. Someone in a million dollar home plus would not be happy at all to downsize if it meant they lost access to the pension and the health card.and other concesions. if they had a considerable sum in their bank accouont after purchasing a smaller property.. I would suggest there be be many who will not take up this offer. if they want to hand a large asset to their family on their demise. They will hang in there and rattle aound in a hone far too big for them; but that is their choice

Changes to extending the time line from 12 to 24 months when downsizing is a great idea. It allows more time to buy / build another property.
Also reducing the deeming asset % rate once sold is a big plus.
We are never sure how long we are going to live & running out of $$$ is worrying.
I am a retired pensioner & thinking about selling & this certainly gives me a big incentive to move.
A thumbs up for this 👍

I am not on a pension yet but realised after reading this article by downsizing and having money in the bank means you could lose the pension .

I think if they want seniors to downsize then they should be looking more at doing away with stamp duty or at least decreasing it for seniors that are downsizing. Other states have already done this

I'm turning 61 next month hubby 64. I'm looking at downsizing next year. We are already starting to look

Maybe I will build granny flats in a couple of my kids yards , rather than having money sitting in my bank account. This way when we visit we will have our own space to stay

I downsized 4 year ago and love it. I moved into an over 55's village and so am no longer isolated with a whole bunch of activities to get into should I so wish. To avoid having a lump sum sitting in the bank I paid the exit fees up front which not only gave me a discount but it means that when I'm gone the whole amount of the sale will go to my estate. Also, downsizing into a retirement village meant that there were no stamp duties to be paid. Win, win!!:)

I am not on a pension yet but realised after reading this article by downsizing and having money in the bank means you could lose the pension .

I think if they want seniors to downsize then they should be looking more at doing away with stamp duty or at least decreasing it for seniors that are downsizing. Other states have already done this

I'm turning 61 next month hubby 64. I'm looking at downsizing next year. We are already starting to look

Maybe I will build granny flats in a couple of my kids yards , rather than having money sitting in my bank account. This way when we visit we will have our own space to stay
Which States have decreased the stamp duty?

Reactions: Ricci
They want pensioners to go to work again - but there a lot of workers out there who lost their jobs because they got sacked because they wouldn't get the vaccinations, so now that it doesn't matter any more, give those workers back their jobs. I don't want to go back to work, I'm enjoying my retirement years.

note of warning......marriages do fail and what happens to the granny flats? Just playing devil's advocate here.

Reactions: paulamc52 and Ricci
Which States have decreased the stamp duty?
Victoria , Western Australia and Canberra offer a one off exemption or reduction for seniors downsizing. If you buy buy property under $340,000 no stamp duty if it's between $341.000 and $650.000 then it's reduced.

NT has something similar

NSW and QLD has no reduction or exemption

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Victoria , Western Australia and Canberra offer a one off exemption or reduction for seniors downsizing. If you buy buy property under $340,000 no stamp duty if it's between $341.000 and $650.000 then it's reduced.

NT has something similar

NSW and QLD has no reduction or exemption
NSW must have as I paid no stamp duty on moving into an over 55's village and I can say it cost a damn site more than $340,000

Apparently you don't pay stamp duty on retirement villagers.

I've been reading about this over the past two days so I know what I'm in for.
Are you looking at a over 55's? There are a lot of plusses, if you want to know more just ask. Not all places are small either, I live in a 3b, 2b, 2g place.

Reactions: Ezzy
NSW must have as I paid no stamp duty on moving into an over 55's village and I can say it cost a damn site more than $340,000
downsizing’ can be very expensive thanks to stamp duty – which is levied by state governments.

A $750,000 ‘downsize’ home will cost $25,000 to $40,000 in stamp duty depending on which state you live in. The Property Council says all up the average cost to move house is around $75,000 – in cash.

There is a cheaper option – when you downsize into a retirement village or a land lease community you don’t pay stamp duty. In both cases you are taking out a lease. In a village you are leasing the house and the land. In a land lease community you own the house but you are leasing the land it sits on.

That’s one big cost you don’t have to worry about.

Are you looking at a over 55's? There are a lot of plusses, if you want to know more just ask. Not all places are small either, I live in a 3b, 2b, 2g place.
No I'm looking for a house hopefully single story 4 bedrooms and I want to add a granny flat.
Large kitchen a must.
People would laugh saying ' that's downsizing'

I currently have a 7 bedroom , 3 loungerooms , 2 story house.

I just booked 5 days in windang Beach so we will look at surrounding areas

No I'm looking for a house hopefully single story 4 bedrooms and I want to add a granny flat.
Large kitchen a must.
People would laugh saying ' that's downsizing'

I currently have a 7 bedroom , 3 loungerooms , 2 story house.

I just booked 5 days in windang Beach so we will look at surrounding areas
That size home round here would cost you $1.5m plus for nothing very outstanding, depending on how close to the water you want to be, or if a bit more inland, how much land you want.

Reactions: Ezzy
That size home round here would cost you $1.5m plus for nothing very outstanding, depending on how close to the water you want to be, or if a bit more inland, how much land you want.
Land we want enough for a small vegie garden . I'm currently in Sydney, 20 minutes to the CBD and on 700 sqm . I was looking at Central Coast, my mother is in Taree but a few of my Kids are moving south. We also have friends at Lake Illawarra