Kmart and Target merger sparks 'conspiracy theory' as shelves stay empty

The Australian retail landscape is undergoing a seismic shift, and it's leaving many consumers feeling uneasy.

The recent merger between two of the country's retail powerhouses, Kmart and Target, has sparked a phenomenon that's causing quite a stir among shoppers.

As the dust settles on this consolidation, customers are noticing a worrying trend.

This development has not gone unnoticed by the Australian public, with many taking to social media to voice their concerns and share their experiences.

Videos and images of empty Kmart shelves juxtaposed with Target's well-stocked aisles became a common sight online, leading to speculation and theories about the intentions behind this disparity.

This came months after Target started offering the store's popular Anko range following a $10 billion merger.

Untitled design_20240423_102153_0000.png
Kmart shoppers noticed empty shelves in beauty and 'hard-home' sections while Target stores were full of them. Credits: Tiktok / Amelia Liddy Sudbury

One shopper, Amelia Liddy Sudbury, even coined the term 'Kmart conspiracy theory' to describe the situation.

In a video that has gained traction on social media, she documented her struggle to find beauty products at Kmart, only to find them in abundance at Target.

‘My local Kmart has not been restocking the Elf and OXX products, but my local Target is absolutely full,’ she said.

‘Ever since the Target and the Kmart merger happened, I think they are prioritising the restocking of those products in Target stores over the Kmart shops to try and drive those Kmart loyalists and consumers into Target.’

In her video, Ms Sudbury displayed the empty shelves in the beauty aisle at Kmart and then proceeded to Target to demonstrate the contrast.

‘Look, I couldn’t find these (OXX beauty sponges) anywhere at Kmart, but full in Target,’ she pointed out.

‘I’m telling you, it’s a Kmart conspiracy.’

The Kmart Group responded to these concerns and assured the customers who are having difficulties finding their desired products in stores.

‘Our beauty range is known and loved by Kmart customers, making it highly sought after,’ a spokesperson stated.

‘For Target customers, this is a new range and brands that are on offer. The team are working hard to restock and ensure availability at both stores.’

Australians promptly reacted to the allegations, disclosing that they also observed ‘empty’ shelves at their local Kmart, while Target was fully stocked.

‘I agree… I was looking for something in Kmart last week, they didn’t have it. Light bulb moment, looked in Target and there it was in abundance,’ one shopper commented.

‘My Kmart beauty section is always feral and empty,’ another shared.

‘Yesss! Target is always loaded with stock. Everything I’ve needed so far hasn’t been in stock in Kmart but Target seems to be the one-stop shop these days,’ a third agreed.

Others proposed reasons why Target's Anko stock was fully stocked, including the possibility that many people still didn't realise it was now available there.

‘A lot of people don’t know Target carries it yet,’ one customer said.

‘Many people don’t know about or haven’t realised the merge and just shop at Kmart, so it’s always full at Target cause no one’s really buying Kmart stuff from there,’ another explained.

‘Target is always full because no one shops there,’ a third joked.

‘Maybe no one wants to go to Target? I go to Kmart for the reason I don’t wanna go to Target,’ another added.

The issue isn't limited to beauty products.

Customers also reported similar situations in the homewares and decor sections, where Anko-branded items, once exclusive to Kmart, are now more readily available at Target.

This shift comes after approximately a quarter of Target's 'hard-home' stock was replaced by Anko versions in early 2024, a move that has left many loyal customers feeling betrayed.

The Kmart Group announced that the decision to sell Anko products in Target stores was implemented to address the increasing cost-of-living pressures in Australia.

‘I think the search for value is something (consumers) are going to continue to try to do as they try and figure out how they maintain their lifestyle,’ Managing Director Ian Bailey said.

‘We had great feedback from customers, we had very encouraging sales. So I think we’ve got lots of reasons to be optimistic.’

You can watch Ms Sudbury’s full video here:

Source: Tiktok / Amelia Liddy Sudbury

Despite the growing popularity of Kmart's own brand, the response to this revelation had been significant, with many arguing that Target provides consumers with the choice of ‘better quality products’ that are still affordable.

‘So sad. Target stuff is better quality than Kmart,’ one shopper lamented.

‘I’m so disappointed, Target’s kids' clothes—even the women’s—are so much better than Kmart, hopefully, they keep the clothing,’ another shared.

‘I won’t be shopping at Target any more! Used to be one of my favourites,’ a third chimed.
Key Takeaways

• Kmart shoppers observed empty shelves, specifically in beauty and 'hard-home' sections, leading to speculation about deliberate understocking to favour Target after their merger.
  • A customer shared a 'Kmart conspiracy theory' via social media, suggesting that products were being stocked abundantly in Target to draw Kmart shoppers there.
  • The Kmart Group claimed the move to sell Anko products in Target stores was a response to Australia's increasing cost of living, aiming to offer value to consumers.
  • Some customers expressed disappointment over the merger, fearing a reduction in the quality and range of products traditionally associated with Target.
Have you noticed these empty shelves at your local Kmart stores? What are your thoughts on these changes? Let us know in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: BJM
Sponsored
Having shopped at two Perth Kmarts over the last few days, I have noticed that the stock of women's plain T-shirts are practically non existent. The usual tables of orderly t-shirts has been replaced by a jumbled pile of dishevelled fabric resembling that of a St Vinnies warehouse sorting table.

Found what I wanted at Big W. So it's back to printing custom t-shirts!

I live between 2 kmarts and noticed that 1 is always fully stocked and the other mostly having empty shelves or low on stock. Might be the store's management that is responsible for the stock variations in the stores.

Methinks coles and kmart are on their way out. They are leaving the Port Canal shopping centre in Port Adelaide which has coverage of over 100,000 people.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Bit worried about this merger (Kmart and Target) I used to shop at Target for years until they tried to go upmarket; new stock with more expensive price tags. Kmart then became my go to for affordable decore, clothing, shoes etc, especially with four children. I wonder how the stock and prices are going to change at Kmart.

Having shopped at two Perth Kmarts over the last few days, I have noticed that the stock of women's plain T-shirts are practically non existent. The usual tables of orderly t-shirts has been replaced by a jumbled pile of dishevelled fabric resembling that of a St Vinnies warehouse sorting table.

Found what I wanted at Big W. So it's back to printing custom t-shirts!

Print me one!!

Reactions: Veggiepatch