Kim Kardashian Spent a Mind-Blowing $285,000 on an Iconic Piece of Jewellery Worn by Princess Diana

When it comes to all things fashion and style, the Kardashians are no strangers – particularly Kim, who always turns heads with her daring looks and iconic jewellery pieces.

For those who haven’t heard of the Kardashian/Jenner family, they are an American family who became television and media sensations after their hit reality television show 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' launched in 2007.

But with fame comes controversy. Kim was recently criticised for commenting about how people are 'too lazy to work nowadays', despite the family earning billions from unpaid interns.

That’s why it probably comes as no surprise when Kim drew flak once again after her recent purchase of a very special piece of royal jewellery...

Kim Kardashian has reportedly acquired a jewellery item that once belonged to Princess Diana of Wales.

The reality star, 42, reportedly purchased the much-loved purple amethyst-and-diamond-encrusted Attallah cross pendant for a staggering $285,000 during an auction held by Sotheby's on Wednesday.

The%20Attallah%20Cross_Sotheby's%20catalogue%20shot_b.jpg

The iconic piece of jewellery was worn by Prince Diana during a London charity gala in 1987. Credit: Sotheby’s.

A source close to the controversial celebrity said that Kim is 'honoured to be able to own a fine piece of jewellery once worn by the late princess'.

'This beautiful cross pendant will be added to her growing collection of jewellery, all pieces that have been worn by strong, iconic women who have inspired Kim,' they remarked.

The late Princess of Wales, who was renowned for her bold fashion choices before she passed away in a car crash in 1997, was once photographed wearing the now-iconic piece of jewellery at a London charity gala in October 1987.

She dazzled the audience at the event by wearing the bright necklace alongside a black and burgundy long-sleeved velvet gown.

Kim-Kardashian-Princess-Diana-Cross-Necklace-embed-1.jpg

Princess Diana wearing the Attallah cross. Credit: Shutterstock.

It's been reported that the lavish cross pendant was made in 1920 by the jewellery company Garrard.

Princess Diana reportedly became friends with its owner, British businessman Naim Attallah, and she was even loaned a huge piece of jewellery for the gala event.

Naim's son, Ramsay Attallah, said in a previous interview that 'few people could carry this piece off but Diana really could'.

'When I was growing up, we’d always have it on the table for Christmas lunch, but it was never worn by anyone other than Diana,' he added.

'It hasn’t been seen in public since she died.'

Kim, on the other hand, was able to acquire the historically significant piece of jewellery.

Since 2011, the reality TV star has reportedly been purchasing items of clothing and jewellery from high-profile, iconic figures.

She snapped up a set of Elizabeth Taylor's bangles for $65,000 and even paid $379,500 for a decades-old watch that once belonged to Jackie O.

KhrL02UB_400x400.jpg

Kim Kardashian faced backlash for her alleged 'obsession' with items previously owned by deceased, iconic figures. Credit: Twitter/Kim Kardashian.

While many admire Kim for her luxurious and 'iconic' collection, there are also quite a few members of the public who are extremely furious and have called her out for being disrespectful to the late Princess.

Many have pointed out the irony in her 'selfish' buying habits and have questioned if the reality TV star even knows 'who she is'.

'Princess Diana looking down from Heaven and seeing that Kim Kardashian has bought her old jewels,' one user wrote on Twitter.

Another added: 'Kim Kardashian’s damage to fashion history is so disrespectful and gross.'

'And the people who keep selling her these items for profit instead of preserving them for history are no better.'

A third chimed in: 'Can she just stop? I literally cannot stand her or her family. They are the epitome of privileged a**holes.'

'She can buy iconic items but she will never be an icon,' another said.

Key Takeaways

• Kim Kardashian purchased an iconic cross necklace previously worn by Princess Diana for $197,000.
  • Kim is 'honoured to be able to own a fine piece of jewellery once worn by the late princess' and to add to her growing collection of historic memorabilia worn by 'strong, iconic women who have inspired Kim.'
  • The necklace was a flashy amethyst-and-diamond-encrusted Attallah cross pendant made in 1920 by Garrard.
  • Princess Diana famously wore the glittery piece of jewellery during a London charity gala in October 1987.
  • Kim has also purchased Elizabeth Taylor's bangles and Jackie O's watch.
  • Kim's purchase sparked some negative reactions on Twitter, with users referencing her 'weird obsession with dead people's stuff' and accusing her of 'desecrating' the items.

Whichever side you fall on – though it is a sad moment that such a beautiful and iconic piece of jewellery has to leave the Attallah family – we still congratulate Kim for adding another important piece to her increasingly impressive jewellery collection.

What do you think about this story, folks? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
When it comes to all things fashion and style, the Kardashians are no strangers – particularly Kim, who always turns heads with her daring looks and iconic jewellery pieces.

For those who haven’t heard of the Kardashian/Jenner family, they are an American family who became television and media sensations after their hit reality television show 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' launched in 2007.

But with fame comes controversy. Kim was recently criticised for commenting about how people are 'too lazy to work nowadays', despite the family earning billions from unpaid interns.

That’s why it probably comes as no surprise when Kim drew flak once again after her recent purchase of a very special piece of royal jewellery...

Kim Kardashian has reportedly acquired a jewellery item that once belonged to Princess Diana of Wales.

The reality star, 42, reportedly purchased the much-loved purple amethyst-and-diamond-encrusted Attallah cross pendant for a staggering $285,000 during an auction held by Sotheby's on Wednesday.

The%20Attallah%20Cross_Sotheby%27s%20catalogue%20shot_b.jpg

The iconic piece of jewellery was worn by Prince Diana during a London charity gala in 1987. Credit: Sotheby’s.

A source close to the controversial celebrity said that Kim is 'honoured to be able to own a fine piece of jewellery once worn by the late princess'.

'This beautiful cross pendant will be added to her growing collection of jewellery, all pieces that have been worn by strong, iconic women who have inspired Kim,' they remarked.

The late Princess of Wales, who was renowned for her bold fashion choices before she passed away in a car crash in 1997, was once photographed wearing the now-iconic piece of jewellery at a London charity gala in October 1987.

She dazzled the audience at the event by wearing the bright necklace alongside a black and burgundy long-sleeved velvet gown.

Kim-Kardashian-Princess-Diana-Cross-Necklace-embed-1.jpg

Princess Diana wearing the Attallah cross. Credit: Shutterstock.

It's been reported that the lavish cross pendant was made in 1920 by the jewellery company Garrard.

Princess Diana reportedly became friends with its owner, British businessman Naim Attallah, and she was even loaned a huge piece of jewellery for the gala event.

Naim's son, Ramsay Attallah, said in a previous interview that 'few people could carry this piece off but Diana really could'.

'When I was growing up, we’d always have it on the table for Christmas lunch, but it was never worn by anyone other than Diana,' he added.

'It hasn’t been seen in public since she died.'

Kim, on the other hand, was able to acquire the historically significant piece of jewellery.

Since 2011, the reality TV star has reportedly been purchasing items of clothing and jewellery from high-profile, iconic figures.

She snapped up a set of Elizabeth Taylor's bangles for $65,000 and even paid $379,500 for a decades-old watch that once belonged to Jackie O.

KhrL02UB_400x400.jpg

Kim Kardashian faced backlash for her alleged 'obsession' with items previously owned by deceased, iconic figures. Credit: Twitter/Kim Kardashian.

While many admire Kim for her luxurious and 'iconic' collection, there are also quite a few members of the public who are extremely furious and have called her out for being disrespectful to the late Princess.

Many have pointed out the irony in her 'selfish' buying habits and have questioned if the reality TV star even knows 'who she is'.

'Princess Diana looking down from Heaven and seeing that Kim Kardashian has bought her old jewels,' one user wrote on Twitter.

Another added: 'Kim Kardashian’s damage to fashion history is so disrespectful and gross.'

'And the people who keep selling her these items for profit instead of preserving them for history are no better.'

A third chimed in: 'Can she just stop? I literally cannot stand her or her family. They are the epitome of privileged a**holes.'

'She can buy iconic items but she will never be an icon,' another said.

Key Takeaways

• Kim Kardashian purchased an iconic cross necklace previously worn by Princess Diana for $197,000.
  • Kim is 'honoured to be able to own a fine piece of jewellery once worn by the late princess' and to add to her growing collection of historic memorabilia worn by 'strong, iconic women who have inspired Kim.'
  • The necklace was a flashy amethyst-and-diamond-encrusted Attallah cross pendant made in 1920 by Garrard.
  • Princess Diana famously wore the glittery piece of jewellery during a London charity gala in October 1987.
  • Kim has also purchased Elizabeth Taylor's bangles and Jackie O's watch.
  • Kim's purchase sparked some negative reactions on Twitter, with users referencing her 'weird obsession with dead people's stuff' and accusing her of 'desecrating' the items.

Whichever side you fall on – though it is a sad moment that such a beautiful and iconic piece of jewellery has to leave the Attallah family – we still congratulate Kim for adding another important piece to her increasingly impressive jewellery collection.

What do you think about this story, folks? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

I think that dress and cross must have been the worst get up that Princess Diana ever wore.
That cross is actually horrible!!

As for Kim Kardashian ..easy ...MORE MONEY THAN SENSE !!!
Diana had so little fashion sense that most of what she wore when she was first married was an abomination of fashion. Only once she realized there was someone else interested in her husband did she start taking advice from real fashionistas. I love the cross as it is Amathists but the outfit she wore with it was such a faux pas!

Reactions: Ricci
Diana had so little fashion sense that most of what she wore when she was first married was an abomination of fashion. Only once she realized there was someone else interested in her husband did she start taking advice from real fashionistas. I love the cross as it is Amathists but the outfit she wore with it was such a faux pas!
I think that comment is a bit harsh, she was very young and how long does it take most young people to develop a sense of fashion.
I must admit though that that particular outfit was horrendous and even though amythests are my favourite gemstone that cross is the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

Reactions: Ricci and Macarj
I think that comment is a bit harsh, she was very young and how long does it take most young people to develop a sense of fashion.
I must admit though that that particular outfit was horrendous and even though amythests are my favourite gemstone that cross is the ugliest thing I have ever seen.
I worked in fashion all my life & developed a strong fashion sense by asking for advice along the line. There is always someone who will help if you ask & don't act as if you know what is right. As my first job was at the Queen's dressmaker I had very wise & kind people willing to share their knowledge.

Reactions: Ian1 and Ricci
I worked in fashion all my life & developed a strong fashion sense by asking for advice along the line. There is always someone who will help if you ask & don't act as if you know what is right. As my first job was at the Queen's dressmaker I had very wise & kind people willing to share their knowledge.