Kenny Hyslop, drummer for Simple Minds and Slik, passes away at 73

The music world mourns as Kenny Hyslop, an esteemed drummer for rock bands Simple Minds and Slik, has passed away at 73.

Midge Ure, a long-time friend of his, confirmed news about Hyslop's passing.

His death, attributed to poor health conditions, sent ripples of sadness across the globe, especially among those who grew up tapping their feet to his generation-defining sound.

Born in the Scottish town of Helensburgh in 1951, Hyslop's passion for percussion led him to become a prominent figure in the music scene.

Kenny Hyslop's musical journey began in the early 1970s when musicians heavily experimented with the way they created music.

His career took off after joining the glam-rock band Salvation, replacing its previous drummer, Matt Cairns.

After a significant lineup change—including Midge Ure joining for vocal duties—they rebranded as Slik.

compressed-Kenny Hyslop.jpeg
Kenny Hyslop joined and formed multiple bands throughout his career, showcasing his love for music. Image Credit: The Daily Record

Slik soared to the top of the UK charts with their 1975 single 'Forever And Ever', a song that remains a nostalgic anthem for many.

Despite their success, the band's journey was short-lived.

Slik disbanded in 1977 after a brief stint as PVC2 and a foray into punk music.

Hyslop's talent, however, continued to shine in other ways.

After Slik, Hyslop joined new wave bands Zones and The Skids.

In 1981, he joined Simple Minds, replacing the original drummer Brian McGee and contributed to the band's success.

He performed on the band's first leg of the Sons and Fascination Tour and was featured in promotional videos for 'Sweat in Bullet' and 'Love Song.'

However, his stint with Simple Minds was brief.

Hyslop parted ways with the band a year later, citing artistic differences, but his influence on the band's sound during a pivotal period was undeniable.

He formed the electronic group Set The Tone and later on reunited with Midge Ure for the 1985 The Gift world tour.

Later in his career, he taught percussion classes at Glasgow's Carlton Studios and produced music on the then-music platform Myspace.

Ure, who shared a deep bond with Hyslop since their Slik days, shared a tribute on social media.

'Heard my old friend/Slik/Simple Minds drummer Kenny Hyslop has passed away,' Ure wrote.

'He lived a lively life! Huge condolences to his friends and family. He was much loved.'

Fans and friends also took to social media to share memories of Hyslop.

The outpouring of tributes speaks volumes about the impact Hyslop had on the lives of those he touched with his rhythm and warmth.

'So sad. I chatted with Kenny quite a bit online in the last few years and met him over 40 years ago. One hell of a drummer! Fly straight, Kenny,' one fan commented.

'I was lucky enough to spend 20 years in Kenny's life as a drum student,' another wrote.

'It doesn't seem fair. A month or so ago, I messaged him and he told me that his treatment was going well,' a third lamented.

'I'm deeply saddened to hear news of Kenny's death. He was a great drummer, huge talent and such a lovely person,' a fourth shared.

Listen to Simple Minds' live performance of 'Sons and Fascination', with Hyslop on the drums:

Source: Art&Talk/YouTube

Kenny Hyslop's legacy is not just etched in the grooves of vinyl records but also in the memories of those who admired him.

His memory and his music will forever be a testament to a life lived with passion and purpose.

Let us celebrate the life of a generation-defining musician by sharing favourite moments or songs by Slik and Simple Minds.
Key Takeaways

• Kenny Hyslop, musician and former drummer for Simple Minds and Slik, passed away at age 73 after health struggles.
  • Tributes poured in from the music community as Midge Ure wrote a tribute to his long-time friend.
  • Hyslop's career spanned several decades, which included a UK number-one hit with Slik and joined Simple Minds on their Sons and Fascination Tour.
  • Fans and friends shared their memories and expressed sadness over his passing, noting his contributions to the music industry as a musician and educator.
We extend our deepest condolences to Kenny Hyslop's family, friends, and fans.

May he rest in peace.

Sponsored
Simple Minds were a great band who unfortunately lost their artistic and dark alternative sound after their first few albums, all of which I have. "Real to Real Cacophony ", "Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call" and "Empires and Dance" and "New Gold Dream" are all masterpieces and rate in my Top 500 albums of all time.

RIP Kenny :cry: 🌹