Keep your home pest-free with this 'magic' remedy that stops spiders, bugs, and fruit flies invading your home

Spring has recently begun, and as we all know, it’s not just the season for blossoms and barbecues. Springtime is also ‘pest season.’

image2.jpg
A Mediterranean fruit fly–this pest primarily targets citrus fruits, with a particular preference for mandarins and oranges. Image source: Pixabay.

For many, the idea of pests creeping around the home is both unsettling and frustrating. The obvious solution is to hire a professional pest control service, but as we're all too aware, costs are skyrocketing.

With inflation pushing prices up, even a basic pest control service can start at $150. Worse, if you're dealing with a serious infestation, the bill could run over $3,000.

Chantel Mila, known as 'Mama Mila,' is a Melbourne-based home hack guru on social media, and has shared three foolproof ways to keep those persistent pests at bay without resorting to harmful chemicals.

First and foremost, Chantel offers a clever tip to repel spiders: ‘Mix a cup of water with sprigs of rosemary. Spray on windows and doors - spiders hate the smell of rosemary, so it repels them from entering your home’.

Next, she tackles the issue of pesky fruit flies, which can become a nuisance during the summer months: ‘Pour boiling water down the drain to deter fruit flies and their eggs.’.

Her third clever hack prevents other creepy-crawly insects from taking up homes: ‘Add orange oil to your mop to repel crawling insects’.

However, she also offers a cautionary warning when it comes to using essential oils around pets, as there are potential poisoning risks to consider.

These risks depend on several factors, including the type of essential oil, its concentration, and how your pet is exposed to it (such as ingestion, inhalation, or skin contact).

image1.jpg
Rosemary essential oils in bottles. Image source: Pixabay.

Exposure to essential oils can lead to various symptoms, ranging from mild effects like drooling and vomiting to more severe outcomes such as going into a coma, seizures, and liver damage.

In fact, some essential oils, like eucalyptus, tea tree oil, camphor, clove oil, and oil of wintergreen, are particularly toxic to pets.

Chantel's post gained widespread popularity, with many people expressing their appreciation for her helpful tips.

However, there were also comments regarding pouring boiling water down drains, citing superstitions related to the presence of jinns–supernatural creatures similar to genies–inhabiting sinks and drains.

‘DON'T POUR BOILING WATER DOWN UR DRAINS YALL there are jinns living there,' one woman commented on the video.

Another explained, 'If you hurt or kill a jinn then you will become cursed or possessed.'

Jinns are important characters often featured in fascinating legends and age-old superstitions in folklore. People consider them ‘otherworldly creatures’ made from a special kind of fire.

They're famous for being able to do what they want, change their shape, and remain hidden from our view. Some even believe they reside in places like drains, coexisting with us in a different world, where they can affect our lives without us knowing.

But other commenters dismissed the idea of ‘Jinns’ and stressed the practicality of using boiling water to eliminate potential fruit fly eggs residing and hatching in drains.

'Fruit fly eggs actually do live and hatch in drains and boiling water is the only way to get rid of them,' one said.

Views on the rosemary hack differed as well. Some opposed it, contending that spiders are valuable houseguests. 'Spiders are the most useful insect to have in a house,' one man said.

While others embraced it and asked about how often to use it, 'How often do I have to use this rosemary sprinkle miracle?' one woman asked.

Concerns were also raised about the safety of using orange oil for dogs and cats, prompting some to suggest alternatives such as peppermint oil for insect repellent. 'I use peppermint oil instead, not sure how safe it is but it works,' one said.

Meanwhile, some said that the simplest solution to a bug problem in Australia might be not living there at all…

Key Takeaways

• Chantel Mila, a Melbourne-based home hack guru on social media, suggests budget-friendly solutions like rosemary sprigs, boiling water, and orange oil for pest control.
  • Essential oil use raises pet safety concerns due to potential poisoning risks, depending on the oil and how it's used.
  • Comments on the post-show a divide between superstitions about jinns in drains and practical advice for dealing with fruit flies.

Members, what are your thoughts on Chantel Mila's home pest control hacks involving rosemary sprigs, boiling water, and orange oil? Do you believe in the superstitions related to jinns in drains, or do you prefer practical solutions for dealing with pests like fruit flies and spiders? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Spring has recently begun, and as we all know, it’s not just the season for blossoms and barbecues. Springtime is also ‘pest season.’

View attachment 30363
A Mediterranean fruit fly–this pest primarily targets citrus fruits, with a particular preference for mandarins and oranges. Image source: Pixabay.

For many, the idea of pests creeping around the home is both unsettling and frustrating. The obvious solution is to hire a professional pest control service, but as we're all too aware, costs are skyrocketing.

With inflation pushing prices up, even a basic pest control service can start at $150. Worse, if you're dealing with a serious infestation, the bill could run over $3,000.

Chantel Mila, known as 'Mama Mila,' is a Melbourne-based home hack guru on social media, and has shared three foolproof ways to keep those persistent pests at bay without resorting to harmful chemicals.

First and foremost, Chantel offers a clever tip to repel spiders: ‘Mix a cup of water with sprigs of rosemary. Spray on windows and doors - spiders hate the smell of rosemary, so it repels them from entering your home’.

Next, she tackles the issue of pesky fruit flies, which can become a nuisance during the summer months: ‘Pour boiling water down the drain to deter fruit flies and their eggs.’.

Her third clever hack prevents other creepy-crawly insects from taking up homes: ‘Add orange oil to your mop to repel crawling insects’.

However, she also offers a cautionary warning when it comes to using essential oils around pets, as there are potential poisoning risks to consider.

These risks depend on several factors, including the type of essential oil, its concentration, and how your pet is exposed to it (such as ingestion, inhalation, or skin contact).

View attachment 30365

Exposure to essential oils can lead to various symptoms, ranging from mild effects like drooling and vomiting to more severe outcomes such as going into a coma, seizures, and liver damage.

In fact, some essential oils, like eucalyptus, tea tree oil, camphor, clove oil, and oil of wintergreen, are particularly toxic to pets.

Chantel's post gained widespread popularity, with many people expressing their appreciation for her helpful tips.

However, there were also comments regarding pouring boiling water down drains, citing superstitions related to the presence of jinns–supernatural creatures similar to genies–inhabiting sinks and drains.

‘DON'T POUR BOILING WATER DOWN UR DRAINS YALL there are jinns living there,' one woman commented on the video.

Another explained, 'If you hurt or kill a jinn then you will become cursed or possessed.'

Jinns are important characters often featured in fascinating legends and age-old superstitions in folklore. People consider them ‘otherworldly creatures’ made from a special kind of fire.

They're famous for being able to do what they want, change their shape, and remain hidden from our view. Some even believe they reside in places like drains, coexisting with us in a different world, where they can affect our lives without us knowing.

But other commenters dismissed the idea of ‘Jinns’ and stressed the practicality of using boiling water to eliminate potential fruit fly eggs residing and hatching in drains.

'Fruit fly eggs actually do live and hatch in drains and boiling water is the only way to get rid of them,' one said.

Views on the rosemary hack differed as well. Some opposed it, contending that spiders are valuable houseguests. 'Spiders are the most useful insect to have in a house,' one man said.

While others embraced it and asked about how often to use it, 'How often do I have to use this rosemary sprinkle miracle?' one woman asked.

Concerns were also raised about the safety of using orange oil for dogs and cats, prompting some to suggest alternatives such as peppermint oil for insect repellent. 'I use peppermint oil instead, not sure how safe it is but it works,' one said.

Meanwhile, some said that the simplest solution to a bug problem in Australia might be not living there at all…

Key Takeaways

• Chantel Mila, a Melbourne-based home hack guru on social media, suggests budget-friendly solutions like rosemary sprigs, boiling water, and orange oil for pest control.
  • Essential oil use raises pet safety concerns due to potential poisoning risks, depending on the oil and how it's used.
  • Comments on the post-show a divide between superstitions about jinns in drains and practical advice for dealing with fruit flies.

Members, what are your thoughts on Chantel Mila's home pest control hacks involving rosemary sprigs, boiling water, and orange oil? Do you believe in the superstitions related to jinns in drains, or do you prefer practical solutions for dealing with pests like fruit flies and spiders? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

I’ve been pouring boiling water down my kitchen sink etc for donkeys years. And I’ll keep my spiders thanks very much especially my daddy long legs love em.😁

View attachment 30363

View attachment 30365

Key Takeaways

Home remedies with stuff readily available are always the best option, especially with kids and pets in the household. Thank you for sharing!

Hey members! Apart from what @Littleboy8 shared, would you have your own tried and tested remedies for bugs at home?

Reactions: Littleboy8
I’ve been pouring boiling water down my kitchen sink etc for donkeys years. And I’ll keep my spiders thanks very much especially my daddy long legs love em.😁
I catch any spiders I see indoors in a jar and put them outside in the garden. I only remove them from indoors because the dog is inside most of the time and I don't want them to crawl over/ around /or near her. Other than that,they don't bother me at all. Glad to hear your the same. Now,it if was a mouse/rat that's a WHOLE DIFFERENT story.!!🥺

I catch any spiders I see indoors in a jar and put them outside in the garden. I only remove them from indoors because the dog is inside most of the time and I don't want them to crawl over/ around /or near her. Other than that,they don't bother me at all. Glad to hear your the same. Now,it if was a mouse/rat that's a WHOLE DIFFERENT story.!!🥺
Oh yeah spiders other than daddylonglegs get the jar treatment but daddies don’t live long though.Did you know daddylonglegs kill white tail spiders. I watched one wrapping one up in its web😂love huntsmen too but they get the jar.😁 🐁 no thanks yuk😁

Reactions: Gsr and Go Cats
Anything that flies or crawls in my house gets the spray, we have electronic pest repellers around the house which seem to work for cockroaches, mice or rats. If any get in they have to deal with the cat who usually comes out on top.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Anything that flies or crawls in my house gets the spray, we have electronic pest repellers around the house which seem to work for cockroaches, mice or rats. If any get in they have to deal with the cat who usually comes out on top.
My cat bought a 🐭 in one day dropped the🐭 it ran off and hid. Next day i woke up to munching and slurping noises under my bed. Lo and behold cat was having his 🐭 for breakfast.😿🤮

View attachment 30363

View attachment 30365

Key Takeaways

Gone are the days when to keep flies out of the kitchen would be to put a bucket of shit by the back door.

For the superstitions about jinns in drains, everyone's beliefs are different. Some may find comfort in following these beliefs, while others prefer practical solutions like using boiling water to tackle fruit fly eggs.