Karl Stefanovic shares ‘bromance’ banter with tennis star Nick Kyrgios

After triumphing over UK's Liam Broady in the first round of the Australian Open, tennis superstar Nick Kyrgios sat down in an interview with Karl Stefanovic to talk about “tennis, his new flame, and… even toes”, as the Today host put it.

5T5Hj9j4r65ZxVyTsnb7Y4bMuqYvHKiw9d9ipfTI6wH3Lwk57beWRy9nPcV26yysuY4WhhEo64GcnSYdSRJ8QVGWOsxAP9tTBq_9lXrdAyZKa77ZXgTqcIEi8jCXYxExLRwE4aH4

Nick Kyrgios sat down in an interview with Karl Stefanovic. Credit: Channel Nine.

Days before the first round of the most-awaited Australian Open, Nick revealed that being COVID positive greatly took a toll on his body.

“COVID really got me bad - I was bedridden for about three days,” the 26-year-old athlete told Karl.

“I was sleeping 17 hours a day, I couldn't breathe, I was coughing and really doubting, honestly towards the start how I would be pulling up for the Australian Open.”

Nick also shared how, unbeknownst to many, he suffers from very bad asthma, and contracting the virus has impacted his breathing.

But he was thankful for his new girlfriend, Costeen Hanzi, for the great company while he was recovering.

“She makes me really, really happy and the vibes are always good there,” said Nick. “I’ve never felt so clear. Mentally, I feel so happy.”

The two also talked about Nick’s latest UberEats campaign, which sees him enjoying a bubble bath on the court with the audience ‘facing the wall’.

“The UberEats ads are very funny, it’s all a good bit of fun,” said Karl, then he asked a rather awkward question that might have grossed out Nick a little.

“Are they your toes or did you use a toe double? Because they’re nice toes”.

To which the tennis superstar laughingly replied: “Dude, you’ve got a sickness, Karl. No, that was my stunt double.”

GaLbth06NWhsSglhWFO46DftK8JDI1h5eyQILLdX0-hjwZtn2VNIKOgFq25Gqeav_gU7z12ZYTrGgt-OWwptp2q9vidIUkeNkPe9O6vyF1CrAyIA1g_QYV4Ho6qfJFHVW9QLx38q

Nick revealed that the toes shown in the ad were not his. Credit: Channel Nine.

Along with the bath-on-the-court video, a second ad features fellow Aussie tennis star Todd Woodbridge, playing as a cleaner who lost his voice and had to use handwritten placards similar to the iconic scene in the film Love Actually.

Nick said the UberEats campaign this year was definitely an “experience” for him.

“Like, being in a bathtub basically naked with foam bubbles on me. Doing it with Todd was a lot of fun as well,” he added.

Before the interview wrapped up, Nick and Karl gave the placard skit a go and recreated the iconic scene themselves, but replacing the lines in the original film.

Karl began by holding up a placard that read: “I love your tweener”, referring to the famous between-the-legs shot Nick usually does.

Then he followed with, “Have you been doing leg muscle exercises?”, which earned a chin rub from the athlete.

Then, finally, he popped the question: “Would you date me if you win the Oz Open?”

Nick responded with his own placard, answering “Yes”.

In case you missed the start of the Australian Open, check out these highlights of Nick Kyrgios in his match against Liam Broady.

Credit: Australian Open TV.

Sponsored