Judi Dench criticises ‘The Crown’ in an open letter for its portrayal of the royal family

Everyone enjoys a little bit of light-hearted drama every now and then, even us here at the SDC. We’re always on the lookout for great movies and TV shows to get lost in, in our spare time. Now, one of the shows that we have come to know and love is The Crown on Netflix. A TV show that is releasing its long-awaited season five on November 9, however, its release is being highly criticised across the globe due to its poor timing with the Queen’s passing.

One Royal fan who has come out publicly condemning the release is Dame Judi Dench.

Dame Judi Dench has expressed her dissatisfaction with Netflix’s The Crown and its portrayal of the royal family.

Following former Secretary of Culture Oliver Dowden's call to add a disclaimer to season five of The Crown, Dame Judi Dench, who recently published an open letter criticising the series for being ‘cruel’ and ‘crude’, has also now joined the call.

judi.JPG
Dame Judi Dench defends the royal family from The Crown. Credit: Encyclopaedia Britannica

The renowned English actress, who self-appointed herself as a champion-in-chief of the Windsors, has asked Netflix to add a disclaimer at the start of each episode that would explain that The Crown is fictionalised drama.

In a letter to The Times UK, the actress expressed her disappointment over the show’s ‘crude sensationalism’, calling on the show’s executives to make it clear that the series is not a ‘historical documentary’.

Dame Judi Dench, who was knighted by the late Queen Elizabeth II in 1988, expressed her concern that The Crown’s plot twists would be mistaken as ‘historically accurate’.

She wrote: ‘I cannot – and no one else should – condone this practice by asking that a disclaimer be added onto each episode as a condition of distribution. However, I would urge Netflix to consider the possibility of incorporating an artistic disclaimer as a final credit, while continuing to distribute the piece.’

liz.JPG
Elizabeth Debicki stars as the late Princess Diana in Netflix’s ‘The Crown’. Credit: Netflix

Dench, who is allegedly friends with the Queen Consort, Camilla, said that there are sensitive topics tackled in the show. Specifically, ‘wounding suggestions’ that King Charles plotted for his mother to abdicate the throne.

She said that this is ‘both cruelly unjust to the individuals and damaging to the institution they represent.’

Despite publicly stating that The Crown has always been a work of fiction, program makers have resisted calls for them to carry a warning at the beginning of each episode.

In response to this inaction on Netflix's part, the British actress closed her letter with another plea: ‘The time has come for Netflix to reconsider – for the sake of a family and nation so recently bereaved,’ referring presumably to the Queen’s death earlier this year.

The fifth season of The Crown has stirred consternation among royalists, aristocrats, and politicians alike. You can watch the trailer below:

Key Takeaways

• Dame Judi Dench has written an open letter criticising the Netflix series The Crown for being ‘crude’ and ‘cruel’.
  • She is calling on Netflix to add a disclaimer to the start of each episode that The Crown is fictionalised drama.
  • The forthcoming fifth season of the show has stirred consternation in royal, aristocratic, and political circles.
  • The fifth season, available to stream on November 9, will span the early 1990s, a decade of great tumult and scandal for the British royals.
  • The Crown is also expected to focus on the acrimonious breakdown of Charles and Diana’s marriage, which was played out publicly at the time under intense media scrutiny.
There you have it, folks! Do you agree with Dame Judi Dench? If you’ve watched the show, share with us your thoughts in the comments section!

Sponsored
No I don't agree with her, come on she is a close friend of Camilla's !!!

Charles did try to get the Queen to abdicate now that's a well known fact

Charles and Camilla continued their affair even after Charles married Di

Both Charles and Camilla committed adultery , both had children .

Everything that happened on The Crown can be back by historical articles , it's not hard to find and read.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci and KaraJenna
Judi Dench as much as I admire you as a most wonderful actress do not let personal feelings get in the way of a very well put together Netflix series. The crown shows the good the bad and the ugly side of the royal family. They are not perfect, none of us are and who will forget the Queens glaring absence when Dianna was killed. Camilla if she had any morals would have denied Charles in order for him to have any chance of the best life he could with his new young wife. Well done Netflix you gave a good insight to reality

Judi Dench as much as I admire you as a most wonderful actress do not let personal feelings get in the way of a very well put together Netflix series. The crown shows the good the bad and the ugly side of the royal family. They are not perfect, none of us are and who will forget the Queens glaring absence when Dianna was killed. Camilla if she had any morals would have denied Charles in order for him to have any chance of the best life he could with his new young wife. Well done Netflix you gave a good insight to reality
Well said👌👏

I feel that the above two writers would have very different opinions if it was their own life stories that were being trashed!
My life isn't in the public eye.

The Royals did it to themselves . They get paid to be who they .

People have seen so much that the Royals have done wrong.

Charles being an adulterer

Charles ruining Diana's life 😓

Andrew being involved in human trafficking and sex slaves 🤔

When Diana died the Royals weren't even going to give her a funeral nor was the Queen going to address her people, she was forced to give a speech in relation to Diana's death. It was only the outcry of the people that the Queen said a speech and allowed a public funeral

They need to take the bad with the good and what's the phrase? ...oh yeh YOU MADE YOUR BED NOW LAY IN IT

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
I feel that the above two writers would have very different opinions if it was their own life stories that were being trashed!
I’d welcome my life to be a Netflix series ! I couldn’t bear it to be sugarcoated. I’ve had my share of twists and turns and unexpected shocks but I’d never be the person I am now if it weren’t for the challenges I’ve had to face

Everyone enjoys a little bit of light-hearted drama every now and then, even us here at the SDC. We’re always on the lookout for great movies and TV shows to get lost in, in our spare time. Now, one of the shows that we have come to know and love is The Crown on Netflix. A TV show that is releasing its long-awaited season five on November 9, however, its release is being highly criticised across the globe due to its poor timing with the Queen’s passing.

One Royal fan who has come out publicly condemning the release is Dame Judi Dench.

Dame Judi Dench has expressed her dissatisfaction with Netflix’s The Crown and its portrayal of the royal family.

Following former Secretary of Culture Oliver Dowden's call to add a disclaimer to season five of The Crown, Dame Judi Dench, who recently published an open letter criticising the series for being ‘cruel’ and ‘crude’, has also now joined the call.

View attachment 7562
Dame Judi Dench defends the royal family from The Crown. Credit: Encyclopaedia Britannica

The renowned English actress, who self-appointed herself as a champion-in-chief of the Windsors, has asked Netflix to add a disclaimer at the start of each episode that would explain that The Crown is fictionalised drama.

In a letter to The Times UK, the actress expressed her disappointment over the show’s ‘crude sensationalism’, calling on the show’s executives to make it clear that the series is not a ‘historical documentary’.

Dame Judi Dench, who was knighted by the late Queen Elizabeth II in 1988, expressed her concern that The Crown’s plot twists would be mistaken as ‘historically accurate’.

She wrote: ‘I cannot – and no one else should – condone this practice by asking that a disclaimer be added onto each episode as a condition of distribution. However, I would urge Netflix to consider the possibility of incorporating an artistic disclaimer as a final credit, while continuing to distribute the piece.’

View attachment 7563
Elizabeth Debicki stars as the late Princess Diana in Netflix’s ‘The Crown’. Credit: Netflix

Dench, who is allegedly friends with the Queen Consort, Camilla, said that there are sensitive topics tackled in the show. Specifically, ‘wounding suggestions’ that King Charles plotted for his mother to abdicate the throne.

She said that this is ‘both cruelly unjust to the individuals and damaging to the institution they represent.’

Despite publicly stating that The Crown has always been a work of fiction, program makers have resisted calls for them to carry a warning at the beginning of each episode.

In response to this inaction on Netflix's part, the British actress closed her letter with another plea: ‘The time has come for Netflix to reconsider – for the sake of a family and nation so recently bereaved,’ referring presumably to the Queen’s death earlier this year.

The fifth season of The Crown has stirred consternation among royalists, aristocrats, and politicians alike. You can watch the trailer below:

Key Takeaways

• Dame Judi Dench has written an open letter criticising the Netflix series The Crown for being ‘crude’ and ‘cruel’.
  • She is calling on Netflix to add a disclaimer to the start of each episode that The Crown is fictionalised drama.
  • The forthcoming fifth season of the show has stirred consternation in royal, aristocratic, and political circles.
  • The fifth season, available to stream on November 9, will span the early 1990s, a decade of great tumult and scandal for the British royals.
  • The Crown is also expected to focus on the acrimonious breakdown of Charles and Diana’s marriage, which was played out publicly at the time under intense media scrutiny.
There you have it, folks! Do you agree with Dame Judi Dench? If you’ve watched the show, share with us your thoughts in the comments section!

Dame Judi Dench is so right - this series has worried me for some time. There are a number of people that I know who have been watching it and believe everything they see to be accurate history of this royal family, no matter that I tell them that it is fiction based on history. Netflix is negligent in not putting alerts at the beginning and the end of the episodes to remind people that what they are seeing is in fact fiction. I applaud Dame Judi Dench for speaking out.

I’d welcome my life to be a Netflix series ! I couldn’t bear it to be sugarcoated. I’ve had my share of twists and turns and unexpected shocks but I’d never be the person I am now if it weren’t for the challenges I’ve had to face
This series isn't sugarcoated, it is fiction. There is a difference.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 7562

View attachment 7563

Key Takeaways

I have never watched any episode of the crown and never will while it is demeaning the royal family and does nothing to protect the family, they do not deserve this, and I do agree with Dame Judi there should be a disclaimer printed before each episode is broadcast, poeple should remember that most members! of the royal family work for the country and have pride in what they do. God Save the King.

Truth or fiction, I have to say this latest series is like watching paint dry. I’ve watched all the other series and enjoyed them. Especially once they got to the point of me being able to remember events from being a child. I watched maybe three episodes on this series and gave up. The actress playing Diana I found quite annoying and the rest of the cast weren’t much better. It’s obviously not a documentary but a story based on events. I’m sure people are intelligent enough to realise that for themselves

I have never watched any episode of the crown and never will while it is demeaning the royal family and does nothing to protect the family, they do not deserve this, and I do agree with Dame Judi there should be a disclaimer printed before each episode is broadcast, poeple should remember that most members! of the royal family work for the country and have pride in what they do. God Save the King.
I wonder how they would like the truth told about the Kennedy family and their ties to organized crime, their extramarital affairs, and the possibility of being involved in the death of Marilyn Monroe, and the list goes on.

Dame Judi Dench is so right - this series has worried me for some time. There are a number of people that I know who have been watching it and believe everything they see to be accurate history of this royal family, no matter that I tell them that it is fiction based on history. Netflix is negligent in not putting alerts at the beginning and the end of the episodes to remind people that what they are seeing is in fact fiction. I applaud Dame Judi Dench for speaking out.
Can you tell me the exact parts that are not true

I wonder how they would like the truth told about the Kennedy family and their ties to organized crime, their extramarital affairs, and the possibility of being involved in the death of Marilyn Monroe, and the list goes on.
You would be surprised what's behind the rich n famous

Now on a serious note, becareful everyone Covid is spreading like wildfire.

I had it around amonth ago and I was very sick for 2 to 3 days. Far worst than first time round but it was shorter

Hubby had it 3 weeks ago and he was extremely sick for 5 days , borderline hospital

We both had the antiviral tablets 4 twice a day for 5 days . If we didn't have them I think we would have been hospitalised

Today my 23 year old woke up saying he was very allergy, he came home from work saying he was worst and the whole office ( realestate) were allergy and the boss went went and purchased antihistamines for everyone.

He did a covid test and it came back positive. He is getting sicker quickly , unfortunately he can't get the antivirals .

I'm writing this to warn especially vulnerable people .

My husband hasn't stopped coughing since.

Reactions: Happymad