Jetstar's 20th anniversary ad takes flight with heartfelt stories and hilarious outtakes!

In the world of advertising, it's not just the polished final product that can capture the public's imagination, but sometimes the outtakes and behind-the-scenes antics that truly steal the show.

This is exactly what happened with Jetstar's latest TV ad, which has been given a new lease on life, thanks to some hilarious unseen footage shared by an Aussie social media star.

Jetstar, the well-known budget airline, decided to celebrate its 20th anniversary by remaking its iconic 'Let's Fly Jetstar' ad, which first graced Australian TV screens two decades ago.

While the original featured the beloved Aussie actress Magda Szubanski, the new version shone a spotlight on Jetstar's own crew and a selection of customers who won a competition to share their real-life travel stories.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 111339.jpg
Jetstar launched a new TV ad for its 20th anniversary, remaking its iconic 'Let's Fly Jetstar' ad with crew members and customers sharing their real-life stories. Credits: YouTube / Jetstar

The competition, announced in March, was a ‘casting call’ for Jetstar's customers, inviting them to submit their most memorable travel tales from the past twenty years.

With over 400 entries pouring in from all corners of Australia, three winners were chosen to star in the advert, each with a story that tugged at the heartstrings or tickled the funny bone.

This coincides with the airline's 20th anniversary in May.

Among the winners were Tony and Jade Neal from Cameron Park, just outside Newcastle.

This father-daughter duo were passengers on the very first Jetstar flight from Newcastle to Melbourne on May 25, 2004.

Jade, who was only two years old at the airline's inception, appears in the ad as a 22-year-old, her life's journey paralleling that of the airline itself.

Her mother's collection of photos, newspaper clippings, and mementos from that historic day were shared with the crew during filming, adding a personal touch to the production.

'It made me feel so special to be a part of such an awesome experience,' Jade reminisced.

‘I appreciate all the effort that was put into making us all feel comfortable and welcome.’

Her father echoed her sentiments, buzzing with excitement about reliving those fond memories and sharing this unique moment with his daughter.

‘Being given the opportunity to participate in the Jetstar commercial was so exciting,’ Tony said.

‘It brought back fond memories from our first flight 20 years ago – memories that I will never forget. Experiencing this with Jade who was also with me on the first flight was a fantastic time and one I will.’

However, it's not just the heartwarming stories that are getting attention.

The ad also featured Aussie social media stars Luke and Sassy Scott, who brought their own brand of humour to the set.

The Scott brothers' behind-the-scenes clip, which has amassed almost 1 million views, captures the siblings' playful banter.

‘Scott you’re an extra…where’s your bag…go get your bag,’ Luke asks his brother.

'No, I have to eat, it's a long day on set,' Scott quipped, as Luke chided him to fetch his bag, only for Scott to point out someone else carrying it for him.

Jetstar's Executive Manager of Customer Service, Jenn Armor, expressed the airline's delight in the project, emphasising how it celebrates the people who have made Jetstar what it is today.

‘From taking their first flight with Jetstar at age 90 to meeting the love of their life on board; it was such a privilege to read through all our customers’ stories,’ she said.

‘[Having] so many customers share their favourite memories of flying with us is a wonderful birthday gift.’

Jetstar commenced operations in 2004 and has since transported over 400 million passengers on its domestic and international routes.

Despite past challenges with on-time flight performance and cancellations, Jetstar showed significant improvement.

Recent data from the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics (BITRE) indicated that over 80 per cent of Jetstar's domestic flights arrived on time, and 78.3 per cent departed as scheduled in March.

The airline's cancellation rate also dropped to 1.5 per cent, marking its best performance in years.

Throughout the month, Jetstar operated over 7200 flights to over 20 destinations within its Australian domestic network.

You can watch Jetstar’s 20th anniversary ad here:

Source: YouTube / Jetstar

‘While these are strong results, we remain focused on further improving our operations and delivering a safe and reliable service for our customers every time they fly with us,’ Jetstar’s Chief Operating Officer, Matt Franzi stated.

‘We’ve been working incredibly hard in recent months to better prepare for when things don’t go to plan, and it shows in these latest performance figures.’

‘Bad weather, air traffic control restrictions and unexpected aircraft maintenance can all cause problems with getting flights away on time, so the job is never done for our teams,’ he added.
Key Takeaways
  • Jetstar launched a new TV ad celebrating the airline's 20th anniversary, featuring crew members and customers with their real-life stories.
  • Over 400 Australians entered a competition to star in the ad, with three winners chosen based on their Jetstar travel experiences.
  • One of the winners, Jade Neal, travelled on Jetstar's first flight in 2004 as a child, and her family's keepsakes from that time were shared during the ad's filming.
  • Social media stars Luke and Sassy Scott were featured in the ad, with a humorous behind-the-scenes clip making the rounds, showcasing the making of the advert.
Have you had any memorable experiences with Jetstar or any other airlines? Or perhaps you've seen some hilarious behind-the-scenes footage that's worth sharing? Let us know in the comments below!

• Haha
Reactions: nunna and Observer
Sponsored
My only experience with Jetstar was not so great. Flying from Phuket to Syd last year. As a regular International traveller, we fill a bottle of water after passing security for onboard drinking. Was confiscated by Jetstar, and the only water available onboard, was to BUY bottled water!
Thank you Jetstar

Australia's true one star airline. i stopped using them many years ago. i have nothing good to say about this airline.

Jetstar, you are kidding, cup of tea, only half filled cup, biscuit extra, snotty-nose staff, smelly carpet, water extra, not allowed to take any on, nibbles not allowed on-board, over priced tickets, couldn't see out of the filthy windows, could see three seats from where I was sitting with tears in the fabric, the public in this country are being ripped off, I guess we will have to just put up with it...... suggestion bring back the night trains from Sydney to Melbourne and Brisbane...

My only experience with Jetstar was not so great. Flying from Phuket to Syd last year. As a regular International traveller, we fill a bottle of water after passing security for onboard drinking. Was confiscated by Jetstar, and the only water available onboard, was to BUY bottled water!
Thank you Jetstar
I hope you said, Phuket to Jetstar?