Jetstar loses luggage containing rare and sentimental items

When you entrust your luggage to an airline, you expect it to arrive safely at your destination.

Unfortunately, for one Australian family, this was not the case.

Jetstar, a popular low-cost airline, has come under fire for losing a suitcase containing a rare 30-year-old children's toy and sentimental artwork.

Robyn, a mother of two, and her partner embarked on a journey from Hobart to Melbourne with their children, aged two and four, on December 31.

The trip was a festive family holiday filled with joy and celebration.

SDC 2.png
Jetstar has come under fire for losing luggage that contained items with immense sentimental value. Image source: Jetstar.

However, the holiday cheer quickly turned into despair when they discovered that their large blue suitcase was missing from the baggage carousel upon arrival in Melbourne.

The lost suitcase was not just any ordinary luggage.

It contained a 30-year-old Playmobil castle, a toy that held immense sentimental value for the family.

But the suitcase held more than just the precious toy.

It also contained artwork gifted to Robyn by her mother for her 45th birthday.

Robyn's mother, a long-time artist, had recently been diagnosed with arthritis.

'One was of her as a young woman done by a well-known South African artist—and it was quite valuable—but it was framed, so I wasn't allowed to take it on with me,' Robyn shared.

In a desperate attempt to locate the missing suitcase, Robyn turned to social media.

She posted a photo of the suitcase, hoping someone might have accidentally taken it from the carousel or spotted it somewhere.

Her plea for help was heartfelt, expressing her deep desire to be reunited with the suitcase and its irreplaceable contents.

'It would mean the world if you could look in any dark and hidden corners and perhaps help us to an emotional reunion with this suitcase,' she wrote.

Jetstar confirmed that the suitcase had indeed been loaded onto the plane in Hobart and was placed on the baggage carousel in Melbourne, but its whereabouts remain a mystery.

The airline thanked Robyn for her patience while they search for her luggage.

'We've been working with Melbourne Airport to access security vision to assist with locating her bag and will provide [Robyn] an update as soon as possible', Jetstar added.
Key Takeaways
  • A mother's luggage containing a sentimental 30-year-old toy was lost during a Jetstar flight.
  • The missing suitcase also included valuable artwork gifted by her mother, who suffers from arthritis.
  • The mother shared an image of the suitcase on social media, seeking assistance in recovering the lost items.
  • Jetstar is in contact with Melbourne Airport to review security footage and assist in locating the lost luggage.
What are your thoughts on this incident? Have you ever experienced lost luggage while travelling? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Lesle and Liag
Sponsored
We flew from Canberra to the Sunshine coast for a weekend of square dancing on Jetstar. When we arrived there, out luggage didn't. I ended up taking down the curtains to try and keep warm and my friend switched on the oven and kept the door open. It was very cold. Our luggage arrive the next day. On the way home we arrived in Canberra without the luggage again and didn't rceive it for the second day at home. I don't know what they do with out luggage but it certainly was very inconvenient.

Reactions: janj
We flew from Canberra to the Sunshine coast for a weekend of square dancing on Jetstar. When we arrived there, out luggage didn't. I ended up taking down the curtains to try and keep warm and my friend switched on the oven and kept the door open. It was very cold. Our luggage arrive the next day. On the way home we arrived in Canberra without the luggage again and didn't rceive it for the second day at home. I don't know what they do with out luggage but it certainly was very inconvenient.
Should have stayed in Canberra....

Not always the airlines fault. Sometimes people just pick up the wrong case by accident, like my elderly father. We rang the airlines and returned it immediately.
Sometimes people just pick up any suitcase they like, on purpose. They never get seen again.
Maybe they should have some system where you show your luggage tag to prove that it matches the luggage you have. But then people would complain about the delay and it would also probably incur a cost.

When you entrust your luggage to an airline, you expect it to arrive safely at your destination.

Jetstar, a popular low-cost airline, has come under fire for losing a suitcase containing a rare 30-year-old children's toy and sentimental artwork.

Robyn, a mother of two, and her partner embarked on a journey from Hobart to Melbourne with their children, aged two and four, on December 31.

View attachment 39788
Jetstar has come under fire for losing luggage that contained items with immense sentimental value. Image source: Jetstar.

However, the holiday cheer quickly turned into despair when they discovered that their large blue suitcase was missing from the baggage carousel upon arrival in Melbourne.

It contained a 30-year-old Playmobil castle, a toy that held immense sentimental value for the family.

'One was of her as a young woman done by a well-known South African artist—and it was quite valuable—but it was framed, so I wasn't allowed to take it on with me,' Robyn shared.

In a desperate attempt to locate the missing suitcase, Robyn turned to social media.

She posted a photo of the suitcase, hoping someone might have accidentally taken it from the carousel or spotted it somewhere.

Her plea for help was heartfelt, expressing her deep desire to be reunited with the suitcase and its irreplaceable contents.

'It would mean the world if you could look in any dark and hidden corners and perhaps help us to an emotional reunion with this suitcase,' she wrote.

Jetstar confirmed that the suitcase had indeed been loaded onto the plane in Hobart and was placed on the baggage carousel in Melbourne, but its whereabouts remain a mystery.

'We've been working with Melbourne Airport to access security vision to assist with locating her bag and will provide [Robyn] an update as soon as possible', Jetstar added.
Key Takeaways

• A mother's luggage containing a sentimental 30-year-old toy was lost during a Jetstar flight.
  • The missing suitcase also included valuable artwork gifted by her mother, who suffers from arthritis.
  • The mother shared an image of the suitcase on social media, seeking assistance in recovering the lost items.
  • Jetstar is in contact with Melbourne Airport to review security footage and assist in locating the lost luggage.
What are your thoughts on this incident? Have you ever experienced lost luggage while travelling? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
I would assume it has been wrongly picked up from the carousel. Trouble is with the carousels just anyone can pick up any suitcase they like. You should have to have a ticket to pick up your luggage.

View attachment 39788

Key Takeaways

You NEVER place valuable items into checked luggage, always put into your carry-on!!!!

View attachment 39788

Key Takeaways

Not lost, stolen.

Many years ago we were in Los Angeles and on picking up our luggage we had to show the ticket issued from Perth airport. This is a good idea as so many cases look the same. Another time we were going to Vancouver and had to fly via Seattle so had to pick up our cases and go through customs at first I could not see my case in the dark hall but two cases were going around and around on the carousel so I went up to the inquiries desk and advised m case had not come through. The lady then went and checked the cases on the carousel and on inspection she brought one off... mine. It was so dark in the hall. Another time in London my case was not on the carousel but as we were looking around a gentleman came and asked if we were looking for our case and said behind that curtain there are several cases maybe it is there. W went and had a look and sure enough it was there. I don't know why it was not on the carousel but maybe someone had thought it was theirs and discovered it wasn't.

View attachment 39788

Key Takeaways

I never put treasured items in non carry on luggage. Have had luggage lost ( especially on Air France) too many times. Keep expensive or loved items close at hand.

Reactions: Scaveola
We were waiting at the carousal for our luggage not to be seen. Then we discovered it over near a wall. We were told it had been on too long and not claimed. We were there from when luggage began coming through and collected other items. This one case had not come past.

Flew from Adelaide to Nice, via Singapore and Paris.

My luggage flew to Nice via Singapore, Beijing and London.

The plane to Singapore, was Singapore Airlines going on to Beijing.

The plane to Paris was British Airways going on to London.

This was all First Class travel... at least they don't discriminate in their incompetence.

• Wow
Reactions: Jersey Girl
I never put treasured items in non carry on luggage. Have had luggage lost ( especially on Air France) too many times. Keep expensive or loved items close at hand.
Yes, and I don't know why you would take paintings on holiday.