Jemima Khan quits The Crown over portrayal of Princess Diana’s final years

Jemima Khan, a close friend of Princess Diana, pulled out her contributions and declined credit for Netflix’s historical drama The Crown, saying the story was not being handled “as respectfully or compassionately” as she had hoped.

W-uL5ZjDSxxL029MOl52wg7P9jIrLVE0CDC-8rtlrYT38cBew7yD6r8j1OTEyf_aFyw_TlEMi5cQMGdsdCo9tcsBeJBuCwG6Ycp_VIIbG3nrqTxjW1IMcRTdGC7rLAtdQB884Hyg

Princess Diana sat next to her friend Jemima Khan during a visit to Pakistan. Photo by Anwar Hussein/Getty Images.
The Crown’s creator and writer Peter Morgan brought in Khan to help write the script for the show’s fifth season, which would show the years leading up to Diana’s death in a Paris car crash in 1997.

“In 2019, Peter Morgan asked me to co-write on the fifth series of The Crown, particularly those episodes which concerned Princess Diana’s last years before she died,” she recalled. “After a great deal of thought, having never spoken publicly about any of this before, I decided to contribute.”

Ms Khan was part of Diana’s social circle at the time, and said, “It was really important to me that the final years of my friend’s life be portrayed accurately and with compassion, as has not always happened in the past.”

Once she realised the narrative was going in a direction she disagreed with, she asked that all her contributions and writing credit be removed.

“We worked together on the outline and scripts from September 2020 until February 2021. When our co-writing agreement was not honoured, and when I realised that particular storyline would not necessarily be told as respectfully or compassionately as I had hoped, I requested that all my contributions be removed from the series, and I declined a credit.”

Following Ms Khan’s claims, a spokesperson for The Crown released a statement saying: “Jemima Khan has been a friend, fan and a vocal public supporter of The Crown since season one. She has been part of a wide network of well-informed and varied sources who have provided extensive background information to our writers and research team, providing context for the drama that is The Crown. She has never been contracted as a writer on the series.”

Z4tiBGUElIDAo9a8vIVzxWfx30WioIfSBuX7pePnEKU7Zs-eZKqeMBXHxZpcUDUQciW3brtf1G3kpdoC_yP0nv1bv0yC3stZn5JbT_X1nTW_wF3uwbFMM4-1TuRUv5RpVgBD1uiF

The fifth season of the series is expected to air in November 2022. Australian actress Elizabeth Debicki will play the role of Princess Diana, previously starred by Emma Corrin. Photo by Des Willie retrieved from NBC News.
Prince Harry was also called out to drop his £112 million deal with Netflix, following news of the streaming platform’s shocking take on the story of his mother, Princess Diana.

Royal expert Angela Levin believes Prince Harry should axe any association with Netflix.

"Harry has remained absolutely silent about Netflix. He should tear the deal up and make a stand for his mother,” she claimed, believing the prince should take the same public stance as Jemima Khan.

"What's more important? Money or defending his mum? It's astonishing he can't find his voice on this."

Reactions: SPANNA
Sponsored