Jamie Oliver's final Australian restaurant closes, owing a whopping $1 million!

Having to close down a business due to economic circumstances is never easy, and it's a reality that many other business owners have become familiar with in the past few years.

Unfortunately, celebrity chef Jamie Oliver is no exception, as his last restaurant in Australia recently faced the same fate.

After its four-year run, Jamie Oliver’s Pizzeria at the Pacific Fair went into voluntary administration last month, accumulating a grand total of $1 million in debt.

20230914_110215_0000.png
Jamie Oliver’s Pizzeria at the Pacific Fair has shut down and left behind a whopping $1 million in debt. Image source: Shutterstock.

Matt Heanen, the Director of the Hallmark Hospitality Group, which managed the restaurant, reported to administrators that there was only $7,336 left in the bank.

Rent for the restaurant was one of the debts it incurred ($91,000). It also reportedly owed other parties a whopping $915,000.

The restaurant owners, Pizzeria Pacific Fair, expressed their gratitude towards customers for their patronage over the past four years.

'We know the Jamie Oliver brand is loved by patrons locally and internationally, and we are currently seeking new location opportunities for Jamie Oliver's Pizzeria restaurants,' a spokesperson for the restaurant said.

'We want to thank our customers, employees, suppliers, and the Gold Coast community for their support of the Pacific Fair venue.'

Jamie Oliver's Pizzeria is the last of the celebrity chef's restaurants to shut its doors in Australia, as four of Jamie’s Italian restaurants closed during the COVID-19 lockdown in March 2020.

Taking charge of the voluntary administration process are Anne Meagher and Matt Bookless from SV Partners, giving the restaurant a chance to regroup, restructure, and potentially reopen in the future.

Oliver will be visiting Australia this coming November to take part in an event with the host of MasterChef, Melissa Leong, at the Sydney Opera House's Concert Hall.

Just recently, one food company unexpectedly shut down and went into administration and receivership.

The company is Halo Food, which owns a range of entities, including Halo Manufacturing Pty Ltd, Halo Food Co. Trading Pty Ltd, and Omni Brands Pty Ltd.

Some brands under the company are The Healthy Mummy (which boasted an extensive range of wellness products for mums), the ‘premium functional beverage brand’ Tonik, luxury fudge makers Gran’s, and powdered milk producers Key Dairy.

Halo Food sold its products in convenience stores and supermarket chains like Coles.

You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Jamie Oliver's last Australian restaurant, Jamie Oliver Pizzeria at Pacific Fair, has shut down, owing $1 million in debt.
  • The restaurant went into voluntary administration last month with just $7,336 in the bank.
  • The restaurant's management company, Hallmark Hospitality Group, thanked customers,
    employees, suppliers, and the Gold Coast community for their support of the Pacific Fair venue.
  • It's the last of the celebrity chef's restaurants to close in Australia, following the closure of Jamie's Italian restaurants in four cities during the COVID-19 lockdown in March 2020.
Have you tried any of Jamie Oliver’s restaurants before? How was the experience? Share them with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
I thought his last Australian restaurant closed a year ago .

My sons just got back from Bali and they basically ate nowhere else But Jamie Oliver's restaurant

Reactions: DLHM
I thought his last Australian restaurant closed a year ago .

My sons just got back from Bali and they basically ate nowhere else But Jamie Oliver's restaurant
Eating in Bali is an interesting experience. When I was there for my only visit waaaay back in 1981, my girlfriend and I went to Piccadilly Steakhouse. I ordered a scrumptious T bone steak and she had chicken maryland. Both were HUGE.

My first thought about the chicken maryland was "What part of the dog you got?" I never said it to my girlfriend in case of a vomitous reaction!

Eating in Bali is an interesting experience. When I was there for my only visit waaaay back in 1981, my girlfriend and I went to Piccadilly Steakhouse. I ordered a scrumptious T bone steak and she had chicken maryland. Both were HUGE.

My first thought about the chicken maryland was "What part of the dog you got?" I never said it to my girlfriend in case of a vomitous reaction!
I love eating in Bali. The food is great and the prices soooo cheap
I always get so angry when l see companies going into administration owing millions, it means they have been continuing to operate while insolvent, ripping their suppliers off , continuing to buy while knowing they don't have the funds to pay them. Grrrr, had this happen to me many times when I had my own business

I love eating in Bali. The food is great and the prices soooo cheap
I always get so angry when l see companies going into administration owing millions, it means they have been continuing to operate while insolvent, ripping their suppliers off , continuing to buy while knowing they don't have the funds to pay them. Grrrr, had this happen to me many times when I had my own business
I think I got change from the equivalent of AU$4 for those meals I mentioned above.

One of my sons go to Bali often and Eats in various places but his brother is another story
Bali was a stopover on the way back from Greece , my fussy son was only there for 5 days and hated it the other son stayed an extra week with his family.
I'm guessing it's a personal choice. I'm glad you didn't mention it to your girlfriend, she probably wouldn't have eaten there again.
Did you tell her later what you thought

One of my sons go to Bali often and Eats in various places but his brother is another story
Bali was a stopover on the way back from Greece , my fussy son was only there for 5 days and hated it the other son stayed an extra week with his family.
I'm guessing it's a personal choice. I'm glad you didn't mention it to your girlfriend, she probably wouldn't have eaten there again.
Did you tell her later what you thought
I never did!

Makes me wonder how any business can keep trading until they are in so much debt. Surely management must know they are not making enough money to survive. There should be harsher penalties for what in reality is ripping people off by continuing to trade and running up massive debts.

Reactions: Macarj