J.D. Souther, singer-songwriter behind The Eagles' hits, passes away at 78

The music industry has lost one of its most influential and prolific figures.

Singer-songwriter J.D. Souther, who co-wrote some of the timeless songs with The Eagles, passed away at 78 years old.

A representative of The Eagles confirmed his passing at his home in New Mexico. However, the cause of his death remains undisclosed.

Born in Detroit and raised in Amarillo, Texas, Souther's journey into music began as a jazz drummer before he picked up the guitar.

His move to Los Angeles in the late 1960s was a pivotal moment for him and the history of rock music.

It was there that he met Glenn Frey, and the two formed Longbranch Pennywhistle.

This early collaboration foreshadowed the iconic sounds to come.

compressed-J D Souther.jpeg
Born John David Souther, he was heavily involved in the music industry thanks to his lyrical prowess. Image Credits: People, Wikipedia

As Frey formed The Eagles, Souther's songwriting prowess came to the fore.

He co-wrote the band's classic hits, including 'New Kid in Town', 'Best of My Love', and 'Heartache Tonight'.

Don Henley of The Eagles lauded him as a part of the 'tight-knit community of songwriters and singers' that they relied on during the 1970s.

Aside from writing for The Eagles, Souther also co-wrote Linda Ronstadt's famous single, 'Faithless Love'.

Souther also released his music—his single, 'You're Only Lonely', showcased his ability to capture the hearts of listeners.

Souther was a two-time Grammy nominee and was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2013.

Beyond his songwriting, Souther's talents extended to acting.

He appeared on the TV series Nashville and Thirtysomething, as well as the film Postcards From the Edge.

Souther's influence also extended beyond his generation.

He penned songs for the Dixie Chicks (now The Chicks), James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, and George Strait.

Despite his disenchantment with the music industry's shift in the 1980s, Souther continued to contribute to the art he loved.

He assisted Henley in writing 'The Heart of the Matter' and continued to perform and tour well into his later years.

Prior to his death, he was slated to perform with singer-songwriter Karla Bonoff in several shows across the United States.

The news of his passing sent ripples throughout social media as tributes poured in from fellow musicians, fans, and friends.

Two-time Grammy nominee Stephen Bishop remembered Souther as a remarkable talent whose contributions to music are immeasurable.

J.D. Souther's songs were more than just melodies and lyrics; they were anthems to countless memories.

Listen to the Eagles' live performance of 'Best of My Love' here:

Source: Eagles/YouTube

As we mourn the loss of J.D. Souther, we also celebrate the rich musical heritage he leaves behind.

Let us honour his memory by sharing the moments that his music made special for us.

Key Takeaways

• Renowned singer-songwriter J.D. Souther passed away at the age of 78 in his home in New Mexico.
  • Souther co-wrote several hit singles for The Eagles and Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor, among others.
  • His musical career included his own single 'You're Only Lonely' and collaborations with numerous artists, earning him a place in the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
  • Tributes poured in on social media as friends and fans expressed deep sadness and highlighted his lasting impact on music.
Rest in peace, J.D. Souther.

Thank you for the songs that will forever hold a place in our hearts.

Sponsored
I cannot speak for this musician, I did not know his songs. BUT, Seniors Discount, PLEASE, PLEASE stop describing literally everyone who dies as an "icon". Icons are special, they are at the top of the pile, there are not many of them, and I am now profoundly irritated to find the term applied to anyone at all who has written or played a hit or two. There are SO MANY ways to describe people's careers and achievements; I wish, oh I wish, that your 'writers' would keep us interested by using a few different ones from time to time. If there is nothing individual or admirable to say about the hundreds more who will die this decade, for heaven's sake, SAY nothing. Or just create an obituary column for rock artists, if you must.

Yes, very unfortunately, another incredible song writer & performer has departed our ways. He certainly did write & co-write some truly great songs, that's for sure. Another who will be sorely missed.

I cannot speak for this musician, I did not know his songs. BUT, Seniors Discount, PLEASE, PLEASE stop describing literally everyone who dies as an "icon". Icons are special, they are at the top of the pile, there are not many of them, and I am now profoundly irritated to find the term applied to anyone at all who has written or played a hit or two. There are SO MANY ways to describe people's careers and achievements; I wish, oh I wish, that your 'writers' would keep us interested by using a few different ones from time to time. If there is nothing individual or admirable to say about the hundreds more who will die this decade, for heaven's sake, SAY nothing. Or just create an obituary column for rock artists, if you must.
At least this one wasn’t “beloved”!!🤣

We shall always remember J D Souther's great songs with heaartfelt words and melodies. I have always thought of him with the Eagles and admired both for years. His family will miss him even more than his fans and my heart goes out to them.