SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
IT shop under fire for grossly overcharging senior customer for 'repairs'

Members, please think of this story as a reminder to always ask for help when you go to a service shop to get your gadgets and mobile devices repaired. And we don’t mean help from the staff there. Read on to find out why.

An unsuspecting grandmother received the shock of her life when she was unexpectedly charged $1599 just to have her iPhone and iPad 'fixed' by a well-known IT repair shop.

In a now-deleted post on the forum site Reddit, the grandmother's son shared the total bill given to the woman, revealing that she was charged $489 for each device for 'virus, spyware check and removal'.

There were also additional fees of $49 per device to update the iOS operating system, as well as $59 for a 'tech lesson' for the customer.

D_Wa70rkwLH9MhGMZZwONeuMG4mbyi-AIOWVRXAUk4PIqY5nwoaoAHfGONp_o_y3z7k6aUrxQ00j8Dc-rn09SoXD_PFI5yJDtxQ0F_q5m_U5EZ8a86Cfuawl2I87zTx2R5WHqSr9pLvzhOmgzOfBLRt7NCFdyBhH2ssGO_sDnQzeGKLmfB5Czv1H4g

The bill for fixing the iPhone and iPad was a whopping $1599. Credit: Reddit.

Several users on Reddit referred to the charge as a 'scam' and a 'fleece job', and many of them also pointed out that updating the phone's operating system would simply take a few seconds and does not require a technology expert to accomplish.

After doing some research, we found that the retail price of a brand new iPhone 11 is around $930 and that a brand new iPad can be acquired for under $500, bringing the total to a sum that is significantly less than the cost of repairs.

If the grandma hadn't been hit with such a big cost for 'repairs', she could have used the money to buy herself brand-new devices instead!

After receiving widespread online backlash, the IT repair shop in question has finally apologised to the elderly woman they 'unwillingly' victimised.

King IT, a Sunshine Coast-based electronics repair company, reasoned that an employee made a poor choice that resulted in a hefty cost for the valued customer.

'This is unacceptable, and it shouldn't have happened,' they said in a post on their official Facebook page.

vQJtBk5Njv47WcRF0MFx7K9_ShlY_AUhcp6PRECIxwNgeyDgkHSRRaHKc0ogyZhdvFb0lsRXr5THcHVRs_cTcmlgUbJfwXYarSd-AKAI9AG0AaRrO0WLQR0nTLJT_i9-BYubOiomORE3S0xBrgnJ4yGum2rUajJ-e--RPefzU1ywQJ9po7b7ul96tw

The store in question has since apologised. Credit: Facebook/King IT (Caloundra).

The company further stated that they are currently conducting an investigation into the matter, as well as a review of internal procedures and training, and will be taking disciplinary action against any employees found to be at fault.

'We would like to offer our sincere apology, a full refund and would like to compensate our customer for the grief we caused. We are currently reaching out to the family to make this right.'

'We are sorry and will go to great lengths to show this is not what King IT is about.'

Since the incident, the store has issued a refund and extended an apology to the grandmother, as confirmed by her son on Reddit.

d_ylbuXiAQPnwgla4FNOz5Ot4boAXuUDC93x-Kw7dsYXTzIw4w9s18oFjBdy9fPp1ZYs4osDcb_u3yaHh7B6R2Ok0EIefbWlXlxtorVM19UdDiv0K0y6WcRL4kueHL3kFQf8PL4N0iFnB-izFV7gBnihv8adYvXT6kVG76BHqjrQsblkWXR-VLlRww

Be Connected is an Australia-wide program that helps all Australians thrive in a digital world. Credit: Be Connected.

While we're relieved that the elderly lady was compensated fairly for the stress and worry this incident caused her, we can't help but worry that others might not be so fortunate. There may be other older people who aren't as tech-savvy and may be charged more than they should be for services.

If you are having trouble with your gadgets and devices, please don't hesitate to contact Be Connected – an Australian Government program that aims to help older Aussies feel more confident, learn new skills, and stay safe when using digital technology.

Check out the link here to find help in your area. Always stay safe and aware, members!

Reactions: Ricci, Net and BJM
Members, please think of this story as a reminder to always ask for help when you go to a service shop to get your gadgets and mobile devices repaired. And we don’t mean help from the staff there. Read on to find out why.

An unsuspecting grandmother received the shock of her life when she was unexpectedly charged $1599 just to have her iPhone and iPad 'fixed' by a well-known IT repair shop.

In a now-deleted post on the forum site Reddit, the grandmother's son shared the total bill given to the woman, revealing that she was charged $489 for each device for 'virus, spyware check and removal'.

There were also additional fees of $49 per device to update the iOS operating system, as well as $59 for a 'tech lesson' for the customer.

D_Wa70rkwLH9MhGMZZwONeuMG4mbyi-AIOWVRXAUk4PIqY5nwoaoAHfGONp_o_y3z7k6aUrxQ00j8Dc-rn09SoXD_PFI5yJDtxQ0F_q5m_U5EZ8a86Cfuawl2I87zTx2R5WHqSr9pLvzhOmgzOfBLRt7NCFdyBhH2ssGO_sDnQzeGKLmfB5Czv1H4g

Several users on Reddit referred to the charge as a 'scam' and a 'fleece job', and many of them also pointed out that updating the phone's operating system would simply take a few seconds and does not require a technology expert to accomplish.

After doing some research, we found that the retail price of a brand new iPhone 11 is around $930 and that a brand new iPad can be acquired for under $500, bringing the total to a sum that is significantly less than the cost of repairs.

If the grandma hadn't been hit with such a big cost for 'repairs', she could have used the money to buy herself brand-new devices instead!

After receiving widespread online backlash, the IT repair shop in question has finally apologised to the elderly woman they 'unwillingly' victimised.

King IT, a Sunshine Coast-based electronics repair company, reasoned that an employee made a poor choice that resulted in a hefty cost for the valued customer.

'This is unacceptable, and it shouldn't have happened,' they said in a post on their official Facebook page.

vQJtBk5Njv47WcRF0MFx7K9_ShlY_AUhcp6PRECIxwNgeyDgkHSRRaHKc0ogyZhdvFb0lsRXr5THcHVRs_cTcmlgUbJfwXYarSd-AKAI9AG0AaRrO0WLQR0nTLJT_i9-BYubOiomORE3S0xBrgnJ4yGum2rUajJ-e--RPefzU1ywQJ9po7b7ul96tw

The store in question has since apologised. Credit: Facebook/King IT (Caloundra).

The company further stated that they are currently conducting an investigation into the matter, as well as a review of internal procedures and training, and will be taking disciplinary action against any employees found to be at fault.

'We would like to offer our sincere apology, a full refund and would like to compensate our customer for the grief we caused. We are currently reaching out to the family to make this right.'

'We are sorry and will go to great lengths to show this is not what King IT is about.'

Since the incident, the store has issued a refund and extended an apology to the grandmother, as confirmed by her son on Reddit.

d_ylbuXiAQPnwgla4FNOz5Ot4boAXuUDC93x-Kw7dsYXTzIw4w9s18oFjBdy9fPp1ZYs4osDcb_u3yaHh7B6R2Ok0EIefbWlXlxtorVM19UdDiv0K0y6WcRL4kueHL3kFQf8PL4N0iFnB-izFV7gBnihv8adYvXT6kVG76BHqjrQsblkWXR-VLlRww

Be Connected is an Australia-wide program that helps all Australians thrive in a digital world. Credit: Be Connected.

While we're relieved that the elderly lady was compensated fairly for the stress and worry this incident caused her, we can't help but worry that others might not be so fortunate. There may be other older people who aren't as tech-savvy and may be charged more than they should be for services.

If you are having trouble with your gadgets and devices, please don't hesitate to contact Be Connected – an Australian Government program that aims to help older Aussies feel more confident, learn new skills, and stay safe when using digital technology.

Check out the link here to find help in your area. Always stay safe and aware, members!
Always get an estimate

Reactions: Ricci
My computer required service recently and i was advised that it would work better if i upgraded some parts, i was quoted $250 to carry out the work which i agreed to, Shocked to find out my card was charged just over $500. When i queried the quote they claimed the quote was for labour only and did not include the parts required. I think some companies see seniors as a soft touch. family help saw a refund come my way.

• Angry

Thank you for posting this article.
The IT shop did the right thing and gave back a full refund to the lady.

I had my mobile phone repaired at King IT after a fall and the back came adrift. It cost me a few hundred dollars and has never worked properly since. I would never recommend them to any one.

• Sad