Is Your Phone Spying On You? Spot the Signs and Learn How to Protect Yourself Now!

In an age where our smartphones are practically extensions of ourselves, the thought of them turning against us is unsettling, to say the least. For many of us over 60, we've embraced the convenience of modern technology, but with a cautious eye towards the risks it brings. And one of those risks is the possibility of our phones being hacked. It's a scenario that seems plucked from a spy thriller, yet it's a very real concern in today's digital landscape.

The idea of a stranger gaining access to our personal conversations, photos, and sensitive information is enough to send shivers down anyone's spine. But how can you tell if your phone has been compromised? And more importantly, what can you do to protect yourself and regain control?

compressed-shutterstock_698258266.jpeg
Your phone can be hacked in several ways, allowing strangers to access your personal information, contacts, and data. Credit: Shutterstock

Firstly, let's address a common question: Can my phone be hacked? The unfortunate answer is yes. Despite the advanced security features boasted by smartphone manufacturers, both iPhones and Android devices are susceptible to hacking. Cybercriminals have a plethora of tools at their disposal, from social engineering tactics like phishing emails to more sophisticated methods such as SIM swapping, where a hacker convinces your mobile provider to transfer your number to a device they control.

So, how can you spot the signs of a hacked phone? Here are some red flags to watch out for:

1. Unfamiliar Apps and Charges: If you notice apps you didn't download or charges for purchases you didn't make, it's time to investigate.

2. Performance Issues: A phone that's suddenly sluggish, overheating, or draining its battery quickly could be under the strain of malicious software operating in the background.

3. Spike in Data Usage: Unexplained increases in data consumption can indicate background processes tracking your activity.

4. Erratic Behavior: Apps crashing, unexpected pop-ups, or your phone acting on its own could signal a breach.

5. Account Irregularities: Difficulty accessing your accounts or receiving unexpected two-factor authentication codes are serious warning signs.

6. Strange Activity: If your camera or microphone activates without your input, or you stop receiving texts and calls, it's possible your phone has been compromised.

If you suspect your phone has been hacked, don't panic. There are steps you can take to address the issue:

1. Remove Suspicious Apps: Uninstall any apps you don't recognize and restart your phone.

2. Clear Your History: Delete your cache, browsing history, and downloads to remove hidden malware.

3. Run Antivirus Software: Use reputable security software to scan for and remove threats.

4. Update Your Phone: Keep your operating system and apps up to date to patch security vulnerabilities.

5. Change Passwords: Update your passwords and enable two-factor authentication for added security.

6. Factory Reset: As a last resort, reset your phone to its original settings, but ensure you have a secure backup of your data first.

Prevention is always better than cure, so here are some tips to keep hackers at bay:

1. Avoid Public Wi-Fi and Charging Stations: Use a VPN if you must connect to public networks and avoid using public USB charging stations.

2. Keep Bluetooth and Hotspot Disabled: Only enable these features when necessary and secure their settings.

3. Regularly Review App Permissions: Ensure only trusted apps have access to sensitive features like your camera and microphone.

4. Use Strong, Unique Passwords: Consider a password manager to generate and store complex passwords.

5. Stay Informed: Keep abreast of the latest security threats and how to protect against them.

For our tech-savvy seniors, you might also consider using security apps that can alert you to unusual activity and ensure you're employing basic security features. Some recommended apps include Avast One, Norton 360 Deluxe, and VeePN Antivirus.

Key Takeaways
  • Your phone can be hacked through various methods, and once hacked, a stranger can access your personal information, contacts, and other data.
  • Signs that your phone may have been hacked include unusual activity such as unexpected apps opening, slow performance, increased data usage, spontaneous pop-ups, and unrecognised account activity.
  • To address a hacked phone, you should remove suspicious apps, clear your history, run antivirus software, update your phone's operating system, and change your passwords.
  • Preventative measures to avoid phone hacking include avoiding public Wi-Fi and charging stations, keeping your Bluetooth and hotspot turned off when not in use, updating apps and the OS regularly, and using strong passwords and VPNs.
In conclusion, while the thought of your phone being hacked is alarming, knowledge is power. By staying informed and vigilant, you can protect your digital life and enjoy the conveniences of modern technology with peace of mind. Have you ever experienced a security scare with your phone? Share your stories and tips in the comments below – your experience could help a fellow reader stay safe!

Sponsored
How do we know these new phones can't be detonated the same as what's happening overseas at the moment, or anything else with a Lithium battery in it for that matter? EV's. This type of technology could be the ruin of mankind.

A few years ago I started to install the Macca's rewards app on my phone (Android). Not far into the setup it asked me to Allow/ Deny access to my contacts, personal info and pictures. Of course I hit Deny, the app setup disappeared off my phone in an instant. That was the last time I went to Macf*&^%$#donalds.
It was winter time and we used to stop there on the way to the station and get a hot chocolate.

Their chicken MacF&nuggets have no taste and are like rubber, my dog had a sniff and walked away and I cut a 3mm cube off it and gave it to my cat and 5 seconds after she swallowed it she spewed up on the floor and it was a violent one.

I used to take my phone with me to visit the neighbour and whatever we discussed I got adds relating to our discussion popping up on my phone within hours. We tried different subject from solo camping to preloved phone purchase. Next morning I was offered cheap preloved phones and also best safe places to visit for solo campers. I now leave my phone at home or turn the flight mode on.

I used to take my phone with me to visit the neighbour and whatever we discussed I got adds relating to our discussion popping up on my phone within hours. We tried different subject from solo camping to preloved phone purchase. Next morning I was offered cheap preloved phones and also best safe places to visit for solo campers. I now leave my phone at home or turn the flight mode on.
Any electronic product that you can speak to (SIRI; ALEXA etc) is always listening to you. 🦻👀
Big brother is listening and watching.

I doubt a lot of people delete all of their browsing, I don't have a smartphone. I delete all of mine every night.

Won't worry me in the slightest. I don't have a mobile phone or otherwise. I wonder how I survive.