Is your Netflix bill about to skyrocket? The new password crackdown is hitting Australians hard

Attention, streaming fans: the Netflix password-sharing crackdown is coming to Australia, and our online entertainment habits may be changed forever!

Our fellow Aussies have been getting a bit of a shock recently when they opened emails from Netflix outlining big changes to how login details and passwords should be used. If you've been happily sharing a Netflix account with family members or friends, buckle up.

1684983696135.png
Following extensive testing and successful launches in various regions across the globe, Netflix has officially declared its implementation of measures to combat password sharing in Australia. Photo by cottonbro studio

Netflix is now using IP addresses to determine which devices are located in the main household and which are elsewhere, which affects many Australian families who share passwords or accounts with older parents or children who have recently moved out.

Often, we share passwords as a simple way to split the cost of Netflix between multiple households. But Netflix has had enough. With the streaming giant saying there are 'over 100 million households sharing accounts', they feel that it could be 'impacting [their] ability to invest in great new TV and films’.

In other words, folks, Netflix hasn't been getting paid by everyone who's watching – and they want that to change.

Fear not, though—they've presented a solution in the form of a new 'Extra member' option for users on the Standard or Premium plans. This will allow one or two users (plan dependent) to have their own account at a lower cost—$7.99 per month. However, it's worth noting that it will only work on one device in another location.

Already tested in Latin America, as well as Canada and New Zealand, this crackdown, despite causing some backlash, has resulted in positive outcomes for the company's bottom line. Netflix admitted that they 'see a cancel reaction in each market when we announce the news, which impacts near term member growth’.

The silver lining for Netflix? Any negative response is short-lived, as subscribers increase shortly after, with 'borrowers' signing up for their own accounts and existing members adding 'extra member' accounts. They've seen increased acquisition and revenue as a result—which means more great content for us all to binge!

However, prepare for potential disappointment. Many Aussies aren't exactly thrilled with the changes, and they're likely to follow in the footsteps of Canadians by flooding social media to express their disappointment.

But, from the looks of it, Netflix is unwavering in their purpose – determined to put an end to password sharing for good, not just in Australia but globally.

It’s quite a predicament for streaming fans. On the one hand, we’re all for fair play and supporting the creation of great content—but on the other hand, nobody likes a higher bill at the end of the month.

Alternatives to Netflix in Australia​

In this crackdown on password sharing, customers might be looking for an alternative to Netflix. Luckily, Australia has plenty of options for streaming services, including competitors with features that could rival those provided by Netflix.

Stan, Australia’s largest homegrown streaming service, offers customers a wide variety of movies, TV shows and a ‘create your own’ feature that allows customers to curate their own library of content. Stan is also home to exclusive content that cannot be found on other streaming services.

Foxtel Now and Binge are two other streaming services that offer a wide selection of movies and TV shows; Foxtel Now caters to sports fans with their large selection of live and past matches, while Binge allows customers to watch their favourite shows with no ads.

Amazon Prime is another streaming service that offers customers a variety of movies and TV shows, as well as free two-day shipping and access to audiobooks. Apple TV+ features original movies and TV shows that are exclusively available on the platform, as well as the ability to rent and purchase movies and TV shows to watch instantly.

With all of these options available to customers, the question remains what streaming service to choose? Each one has its unique features and content library that provide customers with different viewing experiences.

To make the decision easier, customers should think about what type of content they watch the most and the features that are most important to them. Once they’ve weighed their options, they can decide which streaming service offers the best combination of features and content for them.

Key Takeaways
  • Netflix's Australian customers will receive an email outlining the changes regarding password sharing.
  • A new 'Extra member' option is being offered to users on the Standard or Premium plans, allowing one or two (plan dependent) users to have cheaper access to their own Netflix account at $7.99 per month.
  • The reason for this crackdown is that password sharing is impacting Netflix’a ability to invest in new TV shows and movies.
  • This move is expected to receive backlash in Australia, with users likely to express their discontent on social media.
If you've been taking advantage of Netflix account sharing, it’s best to brace yourselves for the changes ahead. Let’s hope that Netflix keeps investing in great content to keep us entertained for years to come.

Members, we're eager to hear your opinions on this strategic decision made by Netflix. Do you believe it will have an impact on you? Are you considering switching to a different streaming service? Feel free to share your thoughts with us.

Sponsored
Our friend put Netflix on our tv when she came to house-sit. If it is disconnected it probably won't bother us. We rarely use it but I can see how it might effect families with kids not living at home.

My neighbours share the cost of Netflix with their daughter who doesn't live there, so they will lose it, or pay for it themselves.
I have Netflix, but enjoy Amazon Prime and Britbox more.

I have BINGE ...... I had the others, on free triales, but I prefer BINGE. There are so much more than any one else. Plus, I don't want Netflix, they pay Harry and Megan millions for lies about the Royal Family. I guess Netflix needs more $'s to pay them. They are busy doing a new series about Harry & Megan about their lives in the palace :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have BINGE ...... I had the others, on free triales, but I prefer BINGE. There are so much more than any one else. Plus, I don't want Netflix, they pay Harry and Megan millions for lies about the Royal Family. I guess Netflix needs more $'s to pay them. They are busy doing a new series about Harry & Megan about their lives in the palace :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Not ANOTHER one about those two? Spare us, please!

I presently am on my sons Netflix account and when the changes come he will happily pay an extra $ 7.95 for me. I used to have Foxtel but found it much too expensive for watching constant repeats. I have BritBox at $89 a year and worth every bit for top quality entertainment. l also have Stan. l live alone and don’t go out often so even though I rarely watch tv until the evenings l feel l am getting my monies worth.

Anything You can get on Netflix at a price you can get from free download sites like Putlocker. This is a much cheaper option than Netflix & any other of the dozens of download sites that charge you an arm & leg to watch their content. Although Foxtell now advertises they carry all other streaming platforms that you have to pay to watch. I have no idea of their cost. Myself, I am happy to watch ads as I am interested in everything even advertising.

Anything You can get on Netflix at a price you can get from free download sites like Putlocker. This is a much cheaper option than Netflix & any other of the dozens of download sites that charge you an arm & leg to watch their content. Although Foxtell now advertises they carry all other streaming platforms that you have to pay to watch. I have no idea of their cost. Myself, I am happy to watch ads as I am interested in everything even advertising.
Never heard of it. Is it legal?

Only 24 hours in my day and that includes 8hrs sleep-time at night, 3 meals a day, so I don’t have time for all this extra TV watching. If there’s nothing interesting on TV there’s always a book to read.

Attention, streaming fans: the Netflix password-sharing crackdown is coming to Australia, and our online entertainment habits may be changed forever!

Our fellow Aussies have been getting a bit of a shock recently when they opened emails from Netflix outlining big changes to how login details and passwords should be used. If you've been happily sharing a Netflix account with family members or friends, buckle up.

View attachment 20649
Following extensive testing and successful launches in various regions across the globe, Netflix has officially declared its implementation of measures to combat password sharing in Australia. Photo by cottonbro studio

Netflix is now using IP addresses to determine which devices are located in the main household and which are elsewhere, which affects many Australian families who share passwords or accounts with older parents or children who have recently moved out.

Often, we share passwords as a simple way to split the cost of Netflix between multiple households. But Netflix has had enough. With the streaming giant saying there are 'over 100 million households sharing accounts', they feel that it could be 'impacting [their] ability to invest in great new TV and films’.

In other words, folks, Netflix hasn't been getting paid by everyone who's watching – and they want that to change.

Fear not, though—they've presented a solution in the form of a new 'Extra member' option for users on the Standard or Premium plans. This will allow one or two users (plan dependent) to have their own account at a lower cost—$7.99 per month. However, it's worth noting that it will only work on one device in another location.

Already tested in Latin America, as well as Canada and New Zealand, this crackdown, despite causing some backlash, has resulted in positive outcomes for the company's bottom line. Netflix admitted that they 'see a cancel reaction in each market when we announce the news, which impacts near term member growth’.

The silver lining for Netflix? Any negative response is short-lived, as subscribers increase shortly after, with 'borrowers' signing up for their own accounts and existing members adding 'extra member' accounts. They've seen increased acquisition and revenue as a result—which means more great content for us all to binge!

However, prepare for potential disappointment. Many Aussies aren't exactly thrilled with the changes, and they're likely to follow in the footsteps of Canadians by flooding social media to express their disappointment.

But, from the looks of it, Netflix is unwavering in their purpose – determined to put an end to password sharing for good, not just in Australia but globally.

It’s quite a predicament for streaming fans. On the one hand, we’re all for fair play and supporting the creation of great content—but on the other hand, nobody likes a higher bill at the end of the month.

In this crackdown on password sharing, customers might be looking for an alternative to Netflix. Luckily, Australia has plenty of options for streaming services, including competitors with features that could rival those provided by Netflix.

Stan, Australia’s largest homegrown streaming service, offers customers a wide variety of movies, TV shows and a ‘create your own’ feature that allows customers to curate their own library of content. Stan is also home to exclusive content that cannot be found on other streaming services.

Foxtel Now and Binge are two other streaming services that offer a wide selection of movies and TV shows; Foxtel Now caters to sports fans with their large selection of live and past matches, while Binge allows customers to watch their favourite shows with no ads.

Amazon Prime is another streaming service that offers customers a variety of movies and TV shows, as well as free two-day shipping and access to audiobooks. Apple TV+ features original movies and TV shows that are exclusively available on the platform, as well as the ability to rent and purchase movies and TV shows to watch instantly.

With all of these options available to customers, the question remains what streaming service to choose? Each one has its unique features and content library that provide customers with different viewing experiences.

To make the decision easier, customers should think about what type of content they watch the most and the features that are most important to them. Once they’ve weighed their options, they can decide which streaming service offers the best combination of features and content for them.

Key Takeaways

• Netflix's Australian customers will receive an email outlining the changes regarding password sharing.
  • A new 'Extra member' option is being offered to users on the Standard or Premium plans, allowing one or two (plan dependent) users to have cheaper access to their own Netflix account at $7.99 per month.
  • The reason for this crackdown is that password sharing is impacting Netflix’a ability to invest in new TV shows and movies.
  • This move is expected to receive backlash in Australia, with users likely to express their discontent on social media.
If you've been taking advantage of Netflix account sharing, it’s best to brace yourselves for the changes ahead. Let’s hope that Netflix keeps investing in great content to keep us entertained for years to come.

Members, we're eager to hear your opinions on this strategic decision made by Netflix. Do you believe it will have an impact on you? Are you considering switching to a different streaming service? Feel free to share your thoughts with us.
Goodbye to Netflix. Another 'money grubbing' excercise by big business. I am cancelling. Out of the 4 services that I have, Netflix was the one I watched the least. I am an Invalid Pensioner, my son is unemployed and my daughter has a medical disorder so we cannot afford any more PLUS Netflix seems to rarely have much new content that suits me. And I, like another wrote on these pages, do not want to be part of something that pays Harry and co for slagging his own family!
So Bye Bye Netflix. Won't miss you for a second.

View attachment 20649

Key Takeaways

Goodbye to Netflix! Don't watch your stuff much anyway. Out of 4 streaming services, Netflix is watched the least. I watch mostly Prime, SBS and some Disney+. Once per month, thereabouts, I used to check Netflix's line-up but seldom find anything new. Rarely do I find anything that I might watch. AND I am against being a party to paying that ungrateful whelp and gold-digger wife for slagging his family, especially after the family gave them so much too!
So goodbye to Netflix. Invalid pensioners can't afford any more.

My son pays for Stan, Binge, Prime, Disney & Netflix. With Netflix when he first signed up he paid a set amount for a package where he could set up a profile for himself, me and my grandkids in our home and then he paid extra per mth to have more profiles added so his sister & her kids, and brother's family could also watch. Both siblings were out of work at the time. Son then got retrenched at beginning of Covid lock down so had to cut back on expenses and older son who by then was working got his own account but sister, although working full time still takes advantage of her brothers generosity as he is now working again and has never considered getting her own account. Looks like this may be changing in the very near future.

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4