Is your milk contaminated? ALDI shoppers express concern over ‘gross’ discovery!

Supermarket giant ALDI is in the limelight yet again—and not for a good reason.

This time around, it’s for a rather 'gross' discovery in some cartons of their milk.

Shoppers have raised their concerns about peculiar brown sediment found at the bottom of their milk bottles.

One shopper asked on social media: 'Has anyone noticed the brown sediment in the 3L full cream milk?'

'I checked a few cartons and they all seem to have it. Once shaken, it would disappear.'

SDC Images (16).png
Shoppers found brown sediment at the bottom of their milk bottles they have purchased from ALDI. Image source: Freepik.

The post was then filled with comments from people who were shocked and confused by the issue.

To their dismay, it seemed many others had the same experience with their milk coming from different retailers. Numerous photos of milk having brown sediments at the bottom of the bottle were shared on social media.

'What is this brown sediment at the bottom of my milk? My mum said it's fine but I refuse to drink it,' one said.

'[I found] brown sediment or sludge at the bottom of this milk I just bought,' another added.

While one user suggested: 'My guess here would be that someone did something wrong and got chocolate into either the product tank, the lines going to the filling line, or the filler itself.'

'Cows milk can have pus, dirt and infections from cow udders. It gets heat-treated, I think, to kill bacteria. Still gross though!' Said another.

Another user guessed: 'It’s either someone mucked up switching between bottling chocolate and plain milk, or it’s a bit of blood from broken capillaries in the udder…'

SDC Images (15).png
Other users shared photos of their own discoveries on social media. Image sources: Reddit (left), Facebook (right).

ALDI, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, Food Standards Australia New Zealand, the Australian Dairy Products Federation, Australian Dairy Farmers and other dairy manufacturers have been contacted for clarity on the matter.

However, all were unable to give any definitive answer regarding the brown sludge.

ALDI articulated their willingness to investigate the issue and encouraged customers with the same experience to contact them for support.

In other news, the price of luscious litres of milk—both branded and home-brand offerings from Coles and Woolworths—has soared by nearly 50 per cent in the last few years.

Prominent Aussie journalist Laura Jayes posted on social media about a three-litre bottle of Dairy Farmers full cream milk being sold for a whopping $6.20 at Woolies which rubbed salt in the wound of those suffering from the continuous cost-of-living crisis.

The scales have surely tipped in the farmers’ favour, with farmgate prices increasing four out of five years and up more than 75 per cent from six years ago.

You can read more details about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A number of ALDI shoppers reported finding brown sediment at the bottom of certain three-litre cartons of dairy milk.
  • Photos were posted on social media platforms which have led others to share similar experiences with their purchased milk from various retailers.
  • Several organisations including ALDI, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, Food Standards Australia New Zealand, the Australian Dairy Products Federation, Australian Dairy Farmers and a number of dairy manufacturers remain unsure about the sediment's origin.
  • ALDI Australia has expressed a willingness to investigate the matter and encouraged shoppers to contact the retailer if they find the brown sediment in their milk.
Members, have you seen something similar at the bottom of your milk bottles? Let us know in the comments below (photos are welcome, too)!

Sponsored

This time around, it’s for a rather 'gross' discovery in some cartons of their milk.

Shoppers have raised their concerns about peculiar brown sediment found at the bottom of their milk bottles.

One shopper asked on social media: 'Has anyone noticed the brown sediment in the 3L full cream milk?'

'I checked a few cartons and they all seem to have it. Once shaken, it would disappear.'

View attachment 30466
Shoppers found brown sediment at the bottom of their milk bottles they have purchased from ALDI. Image source: Freepik.

The post was then filled with comments from people who were shocked and confused by the issue.

To their dismay, it seemed many others had the same experience with their milk coming from different retailers. Numerous photos of milk having brown sediments at the bottom of the bottle were shared on social media.

'What is this brown sediment at the bottom of my milk? My mum said it's fine but I refuse to drink it,' one said.

'[I found] brown sediment or sludge at the bottom of this milk I just bought,' another added.

While one user suggested: 'My guess here would be that someone did something wrong and got chocolate into either the product tank, the lines going to the filling line, or the filler itself.'

'Cows milk can have pus, dirt and infections from cow udders. It gets heat-treated, I think, to kill bacteria. Still gross though!' Said another.

Another user guessed: 'It’s either someone mucked up switching between bottling chocolate and plain milk, or it’s a bit of blood from broken capillaries in the udder…'

View attachment 30467
Other users shared photos of their own discoveries on social media. Image sources: Reddit (left), Facebook (right).

ALDI, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, Food Standards Australia New Zealand, the Australian Dairy Products Federation, Australian Dairy Farmers and other dairy manufacturers have been contacted for clarity on the matter.

However, all were unable to give any definitive answer regarding the brown sludge.

ALDI articulated their willingness to investigate the issue and encouraged customers with the same experience to contact them for support.

In other news, the price of luscious litres of milk—both branded and home-brand offerings from Coles and Woolworths—has soared by nearly 50 per cent in the last few years.

Prominent Aussie journalist Laura Jayes posted on social media about a three-litre bottle of Dairy Farmers full cream milk being sold for a whopping $6.20 at Woolies which rubbed salt in the wound of those suffering from the continuous cost-of-living crisis.

The scales have surely tipped in the farmers’ favour, with farmgate prices increasing four out of five years and up more than 75 per cent from six years ago.

Key Takeaways

• A number of ALDI shoppers reported finding brown sediment at the bottom of certain three-litre cartons of dairy milk.
  • Photos were posted on social media platforms which have led others to share similar experiences with their purchased milk from various retailers.
  • Several organisations including ALDI, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, Food Standards Australia New Zealand, the Australian Dairy Products Federation, Australian Dairy Farmers and a number of dairy manufacturers remain unsure about the sediment's origin.
  • ALDI Australia has expressed a willingness to investigate the matter and encouraged shoppers to contact the retailer if they find the brown sediment in their milk.
Members, have you seen something similar at the bottom of your milk bottles? Let us know in the comments below (photos are welcome, too)!
To all those uninitiated townies the cows udders are washed before the suction cups go on and dont forget ALL bacteria is destroyed even the healthy good bacteria when the pasteurization and Homogenisation is done... so you get dead milk in your bottle.... I still yearn for real PURE milk

Am just wondering if this is a mix-up with the filling of chocolate or coffee flavoured milk being put into the ‘full cream milk’ bottles in the manufacturer’s plant.

When I make iced coffee at home I use normal Nescafé instant coffee granules, milk and sugar; I first dissolve the coffee granules in a little boiling water with the sugar, (remove some of the milk to allow for substitution of the quantity of water, sugar and coffee), pour that into the milk and top it up with ice cream & shake to mix. Sometimes I also get a similar looking residue which is actually undissolved coffee. Another few shakes and all is dissolved.

Could the darker looking residue be something like this or has a customer tried to get a few minutes of fame here? I don’t know. The three bottles pictured don’t show whether the labels are just MILK or FLAVOURED MIKK.

Reactions: Nichola

View attachment 30466

View attachment 30467

Key Takeaways

The price of milk has been ridulous the farmers weren’t covering the cost and we’ve lost lots of farms because of it it’s about time we paid what it’s worth people pay more for flavoured water 😡😡

The price of milk has been ridulous the farmers weren’t covering the cost and we’ve lost lots of farms because of it it’s about time we paid what it’s worth people pay more for flavoured water 😡😡
I don’t mind paying more for milk as long as I know that it is going directly to the dairy farmers and not into a supermarkets profit margin. I stopped buying buying supermarket brand milk for that reason as well

Reactions: terri