Is your kitchen rangehood hiding a dirty secret? Deep cleaning tips you need to know!

As time goes by, attending to household chores can become more challenging. Yet, ensuring a clean living environment remains essential for our overall health and quality of life.

While we are generally aware of our everyday cleaning tasks, there are certain areas that we might unconsciously neglect, such as our kitchen rangehood.

At the Seniors Discount Club, our utmost priority is the well-being and satisfaction of our members. In line with our commitment to promoting happy and healthy lives, we are dedicated to providing you with the necessary knowledge to effectively deep clean an often-overlooked area of the kitchen: the rangehood.

1686205507258.png
When it comes to cleaning, the kitchen rangehood is often neglected and overlooked. Image by naomish from unsplash

To begin, let's explore the signs your rangehood needs to be cleaned. Westinghouse Australia has provided these informative signs to watch out for:

1. Grease builds up on surrounding cabinetry or walls.
  2. Cooking odours linger in the kitchen and aren't absorbed by filters.
  3. Smoke remains in the kitchen even after the rangehood has been running.
  4. Rangehood suction seems compromised due to warping, bends, dents, or holes in the filters.

If you've noticed any of the signs mentioned above in your kitchen, then it's definitely time to give your rangehood a thorough cleaning.

Luckily, we've found some easy and practical ways to tackle this task, thanks to helpful videos shared on social media.

Social media user @lifewith.annette has shared a video demonstrating how simple it is to clean different parts of a rangehood.

See the full video here:

Depending on the design of your kitchen rangehood, most of them make it relatively easy to remove and clean their components. So, what are the best methods to clean this hidden gem in our kitchens?

Here are some suggestions which are gentle on both our hands and wallets:

• Soak the mesh grate in the sink with water and a mixture of bi-carb soda.
  • Submerge the grate and any detachable parts in the sink with dishwashing tablets for 30 minutes.
  • Let the parts soak in a vinegar and bi-carb soda solution for an hour.
  • Apply oven cleaner on the mesh grate (the creator tested this method and considers it the most effective one).
  • Use all-purpose Tricleanium (available at Bunnings) to clean the area.
  • Replace the filter regularly.
  • Use the rangehood Filter Clean spray, which claims to work like a charm and requires no scrubbing. Read more about it here.

1686205507312.png
A social media user posted a video that showcases the simplicity of cleaning various components of a rangehood. Source: @lifewith.annette/TikTok

However, Westinghouse Australia advises sticking to warm, soapy dishwashing liquid or bi-carb soda to clean the filters to prevent any potential damage from harsh chemicals.

Ultimately, select the cleaning method that works best for you, considering the level of grime accumulation on your rangehood.

Key Takeaways
  • Many people often forget to deep clean their kitchen rangehood.
  • Tell-tale signs your rangehood needs cleaning include grease build-up, lingering cooking odours, and smoke remaining in the kitchen even after the rangehood has been running.
  • Many rangehood designs make it easy to remove and clean the grates and internal parts.
  • Cleaning options include soaking the mesh in a sink with various cleaning agents like warm soapy dishwashing liquid or bi-carb soda, vinegar, oven cleaner, or Tricleanium. Don't forget to replace the filter regularly.
We hope that these valuable tips for deep cleaning your kitchen rangehood will be beneficial in upholding a tidy living space.

Now, it's time to ask: Have you added your rangehood to your deep cleaning checklist yet? And don't hesitate to share your cleaning endeavours with the SDC community!

Sponsored
When moving to a new house, the range hood did not work at all, anywhere. When looked under the filters, oh my goodness me, the smell, the grease, the hairs, and droppings of I don't know what!
After the removal of the whole unit, the kitchen does not smell, and I always have windows open.
Modern women/men do not cook the way our forefathers did.
That is the way to keep your kitchen clean., don't install one!

wash it regularly detergent and warm water and a cloth. I've never seen any look those included in the post. I've not seen big enough sink for it to be able left soaking, not even in the laundry trough. SO its address often, likewise cupboards.

I have a rangehood that allows me to take the 3 filters out and whack them in the dishwasher.
There is no need for me to pull up the sleeves to clean the surrounding area because I keep my eagle eye on the filters, and, I don't cook much that can leave yukky residue in the filter. I think it's been 20 years since I have deep fried anything. I give the areas behind and around the filter a quick wipe over whilst the filters are being cleaned. It doesn't take long at all if I keep it as a routine.
Regardless of what is being cooked, it's a good routine to get into. I clean my filters before they really need cleaning.
Sack me as the cook if I let a filter get built up like that in the story. OMG ... it defies logic.

I have a rangehood that allows me to take the 3 filters out and whack them in the dishwasher.
There is no need for me to pull up the sleeves to clean the surrounding area because I keep my eagle eye on the filters, and, I don't cook much that can leave yukky residue in the filter. I think it's been 20 years since I have deep fried anything. I give the areas behind and around the filter a quick wipe over whilst the filters are being cleaned. It doesn't take long at all if I keep it as a routine.
Regardless of what is being cooked, it's a good routine to get into. I clean my filters before they really need cleaning.
Sack me as the cook if I let a filter get built up like that in the story. OMG ... it defies logic.
they are made of aluminium, so really shouldn't go into a dishwasher. The caustic chemicals in dishwasher tablets etc will SLOWLY destroy the integrity of the mesh and as such not do what the mesh is designed to do. Just be prepared for the cost to replace them. Aluminium also degrades the efficiency of the cleaning stuff.

they are made of aluminium, so really shouldn't go into a dishwasher. The caustic chemicals in dishwasher tablets etc will SLOWLY destroy the integrity of the mesh and as such not do what the mesh is designed to do. Just be prepared for the cost to replace them. Aluminium also degrades the efficiency of the cleaning stuff.
Yes, most filters are not suitable for dishwashers, however, mine appears to be OK, and, the maintenance guidelines suggest dishwashers as a preferred cleaning method. Go figure.
It's a major benefit that I knew nothing about until I found this one. Thanks for the heads up anyhow.