Is your home as clean as you think it is? Mum shares shocking photos of hidden dirt and grime after vacuuming her “clean” floor

Vacuuming is an important part of housekeeping. It helps remove dirt, dust, and other debris from carpets and upholstery, and also helps to extend the life of your carpet and furniture by preventing dirt and other particles from being ground into the fabric.

While vacuuming won't completely eliminate all the dirt and dust in your home, it will greatly reduce the amount of allergens and other potentially harmful particles that can cause respiratory problems, skin irritation, and other health issues.

Vacuuming is especially important for people with asthma, allergies, or other respiratory conditions.

Keeping that in mind, did you know that not all vacuum cleaners are efficient enough to get the majority dirt and dust out from the corners, nooks, and crannies of your home?

In fact, one mum was shocked at just how much dirt her new vacuum was able to pull up from her seemingly clean floor.

The mum said that she had previously been vacuuming daily, but after upgrading to a new $100 machine, she was ‘grossed out’ by the amount of grime it collected.

"I had to actually turn off the vacuum to take a picture because I couldn't believe how much nastiness was in my rug even though it was vacuumed daily with my old vacuum," the mum wrote alongside a photo of her new vacuum cleaner.

Fr-9ve08Xk04EGPeW9A-V5vuOBUDiCP2r3sxjvAia9Qth7oFD-2NC3p6Fr0APjnUNmAnu9m1xSM76mh69MG4osLK9sDM1AgZG5QFEfAbrNcDLzrXSWB1Rw5WjSoaSq2qhUgYqwDm99gbfzs3

The mum was shocked to discover that her vacuum’s canister was “almost full” after she ran it over the bedroom rug for “a few seconds” despite previously vacuuming it everyday. Credit: Facebook.

The mum claimed that the vacuum's cannister was "almost full" when she ran over the bedroom rug for "a few seconds", proving that her old device was not able to get rid of most of the dirt.

She explained: "This amount of dust was just from vacuuming a 0.5m² area for three seconds."

"I had to empty the canister three times just to finish vacuuming my rug because of how much junk was hiding in it."

O6GDybY1voJo9gI6h-i8HZGEULmgUSuAPMgQDx8Y5lX79XELbXg_7juRIqaGaK4c-25SnuYx6V5sb-PjxkDtXY67DXr2wY5b_T71Fn484P3vNwc8hy5SLJZmxP5TZ9G5qzd4D8OQKN9ANqrg

The Kogan 900w Upright Vacuum Cleaner was praised for efficiently removing most of the dirt that other vacuum cleaners can’t suck in. Credit: Kogan.

The mum said that since switching to a Kogan 900w Upright Vacuum Cleaner, she was able to vacuum "every second day" without the machine's cannister getting filled with filth.

"I did spend the first week vacuuming daily because I was just so excited to have a vacuum that could suck out years of gunk," she shared.

The mum also claimed that the machine doesn't get clogged up with long hair, meaning there is no need for her to sweep off the floor before she starts using it.

While the machine has a lot of benefits, the mum noted that there are certain caveats that you should keep in mind if you're looking to get your hands on it and use it in your own home.

The mum said: "It's loud so midnight vacuuming is now out-of-the-question, I'm stuck with a rubber broom I don't have any more use for, and the cord is not necessarily always convenient to navigate around while vacuuming tight spaces with a large dog who likes to 'help'."

Previous users of the vacuum also commented on its useability, with many claiming that they are "obsessed" with the budget-friendly machine.

One woman wrote: "I have recently bought this too. I love it. I had a Dyson before which I thought was the best until I got this."

"I love this vacuum as well, better suction than our previous Dyson. I also got extra filters so I can wash/dry them as needed. It's also super easy to clean out as well," another added.

However, not everyone is happy with the gadget, with one user claiming that there’s “nothing superb” about the machine.

The customer wrote: “We bought one, received it, used it for 5 minutes and clips and springs fell off the underside.”

“Contacted Kogan and in fairness to them, customer service was great - they said to keep it and they'd send out a new replacement which they did.”

Another added: “[It] does the job it's designed for but pretty ordinary.”

Whichever machine you use, it seems like there’s more dirt than meets the eye when cleaning the house, so we advise you to make sure that you do some basic maintenance checks on your vac to make sure it's running properly.

Here are a few tips on how to properly maintain our vacuum cleaners:

1. Clean or replace the bags or filters regularly.

The bag or filter of your vacuum cleaner needs to be cleaned regularly as the dirt buildup may infiltrate the machine and subsequently damage its engine. Different vacuum cleaners require different cleaning routines so be sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions to see how often you need to do this.

2. Empty the dirt cup after each use.

Be sure to empty the dirt cup after each use to prevent the vacuum cleaner from becoming overloaded.

3. Clean the vacuum cleaner regularly.

In addition to cleaning or replacing the bags or filters regularly, you should also clean the vacuum cleaner itself. This includes wiping down the outside of the machine and cleaning the brushes. Again, consult the manufacturer’s instructions for specific details.

So, there you have it, folks! By following these tips, you can help keep your vacuum cleaner running properly!

For those who are curious about how dirty your vacuum cleaner can get, we recommend checking out this video:

Credit: YouTube/Clean My Space

Sponsored
Replaced my old carpet a while ago with a quality all-wool New Zealand carpet. Wasn't cheap but feels nice. However, by the time I finished my first vacuum of the carpet I finished up with half a 44 of wool. Unbelievable, but I WAS warned.

Reactions: Ricci
I don’t use a vacuum cleaner as I don’t have any carpet. I think carpets are filthy. Years ago when I was renting I had the carpets cleaned professionally. The following week my niece was crawling on the so called clean carpet and her knees were black. I mop my floors with an enjo mop and clean the mop with clean water after every room. All I use is water and occasionally some vinegar. No chemicals.

Reactions: Ricci