Is your credit card about to become obsolete? NAB announces closure of Diners Club

Diners Club has been a well-known credit card company for over seven decades, providing financial flexibility and prestige to many consumers.

Despite the evolution of consumer spending, from imprinters to contactless transactions, this credit card has stood the test of time.

However, following its recent acquisition, National Australia Bank (NAB) announced the decision to close its Diners Club business in the country.

This decision came as a shock to both the financial sector and its loyal customers.

The Diners Club introduced their charge card in 1950 after a businessman named Frank McNamara forgot his wallet while having lunch at a prestigious New York restaurant.

shutterstock_2423949297.jpg
NAB announced the closure of Diners Club in Australia. Image source: Shutterstock

The idea rapidly gained popularity worldwide and has since transformed the way individuals pay for products and services.

In 1956, the card was introduced in Australia and soon became a common sight in high-end restaurants.

But after 70 years of operation in the country, Diners Club will no longer be available. Starting April 15, Diners Club will no longer accept corporate account cards.

According to NAB, accounts with no reward points will automatically close on that date.

The closure date for customers with reward points is July 30, and reward claims for purchases made until April 15 will be honoured until November 30.

Moreover, travellers who purchased Diners Club International Travel Insurance or Interstate Flight Inconvenience Insurance must book their travel by April 15.

Any insurance claims for trips arranged by the end of September must be submitted by November 30.

The decision was made about 18 months after NAB acquired Diners Club Australia as part of its purchase of Citigroup's consumer business in Australia on June 1, 2022.

NAB's CEO, Ross McEwan, gave little indication of the potential closure of Diners Club in Australia during the announcement of the upcoming acquisition of Citigroup's Australian assets in August 2021.

He said at that time: ‘The proposed acquisition of the Citigroup Consumer Business brings scale and deep expertise in unsecured lending, particularly credit cards, which continue to be an important way for customers to make payments and manage their cashflows.’

According to a 2022 report by the Reserve Bank, Diners Club has the highest merchant fees at 1.7 per cent, which is higher than American Express at 1.3 per cent and MasterCard and Visa at 0.9 per cent.

If you are one of the affected customers, please get in touch with NAB directly for any inquiries related to the closure.

Key Takeaways
  • NAB has made the decision to discontinue the Diners Club credit card in Australia, effective from April 15.
  • The Diners Club card, which has been a staple in Australia since 1956, will no longer be operational after almost 70 years of service.
  • Accounts without reward points will close automatically on April 15, while those with points have until July 30, with reward claims honoured until November 30.
  • The decision to close the business comes less than two years after NAB acquired Citigroup's consumer operations, which included the Diners Club.

What do you think about this closure, members? Are you a Diners Club cardholder? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
I have always had a Diners Card attached to my Citibank visa, it was a great source for reward points. When NAB purchased Citibank my Diners Card was cancelled and my visa became a mastercard. Not happy Jan!

• Sad
Reactions: Davmes and PattiB
Department of Defence use Diners Club for all their travel and I believe every member in Defence has a card for their travel expenses. Big change for them coming up

Won't worry me I left Diners Club 20 years ago but I've also been using Amex for over 30 years. Great backup for unexpected items.

Can't believe people think they are gaining by receiving reward points. This is just a ploy to get you to spend more money. Why pay massive interest when there are interest free loans available. Even this is just another way of getting into debt. There is a better way to shop and save you lots of money.
PAY CASH OR DON'T BUY. It's that simple. Buying on credit costs you more money in the long run. Think about how much you will pay for a $300 purchase on credit will actually cost you by the time it's paid off. Paying cash can often get you a discount as well, simply by asking.

Can't believe people think they are gaining by receiving reward points. This is just a ploy to get you to spend more money. Why pay massive interest when there are interest free loans available. Even this is just another way of getting into debt. There is a better way to shop and save you lots of money.
PAY CASH OR DON'T BUY. It's that simple. Buying on credit costs you more money in the long run. Think about how much you will pay for a $300 purchase on credit will actually cost you by the time it's paid off. Paying cash can often get you a discount as well, simply by asking.
For credit card rewards to be advantageous it is important not to pay any interest. I have earned hundreds of thousands of frequent flyer points over the years just by using my credit card for all expenses and I have never paid any interest, always paying my balance in total each month. Using a credit card has not enticed me to make unnecessary purchases. I have made the system work for me.

For credit card rewards to be advantageous it is important not to pay any interest. I have earned hundreds of thousands of frequent flyer points over the years just by using my credit card for all expenses and I have never paid any interest, always paying my balance in total each month. Using a credit card has not enticed me to make unnecessary purchases. I have made the system work for me.
Likewise, in fact have another SE Asia trip coming up soon

Reactions: TJ1