Is your ATM safe? Experts reveal why banks selling ATMs could be damaging for Aussies

Remember the good ol' days when visiting the local ATM didn't come with a price tag? When the convenience of cash withdrawal was simply that—a convenience?

Well, brace yourselves. These days, a simple visit to the ATM could leave you lighter in the pocket than you'd expected. And it's not the cash withdrawal we're talking about!

In 2017, a wave of relief washed over us as Australian banks declared they'd be scrapping cash-out fees for using another bank’s ATMs. The ATM landscape had begun to look like a consumer's dream: free and accessible.

Fast forward six years, and the lush landscape of fee-free withdrawals has become somewhat barren.

Nowadays, you are more likely to stumble upon an independent ATM provider showing no mercy with their hefty withdrawal costs.

compressed-atm.jpeg
There is a growing trend among banks to enter into agreements with third-party entities for their ATMs. Image by Peggy_Marco from pixabay

Associate Professor of Finance at the University of New South Wales, Mark Humphery-Jenner, said that these sly moves benefit banks, reducing their operational costs while simultaneously hitting consumers’ pockets.

'ATMx (owned by Armaguard) is now increasingly replacing ANZ machines. Unless your bank has a fee waiver agreement with ATMx, they will charge you $3 to withdraw your money.' cautioned the professor.

This is no trivial matter. Multiple withdrawals could quickly add up to a substantial loss for fixed-income or lower-income earners with tight budgets.

The professor suggested consumers could evade these fees by withdrawing money in person at bank branches.

But with local branches growing sparse, accessibility is becoming a real issue.

Now you might wonder, 'What other options do we have?' Well, there is still light at the end of the tunnel.

Macquarie Bank and ING are still championing the cause of fee-free withdrawals across all ATMs. Ample reason to consider that switch, perhaps?

With the surge of digital transactions, it seems plausible to question the longevity of ATMs.

Based on data from the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, the number of ATMs in Australia has decreased by half between 2017 and 2022.

compressed-photo-1601597111158-2fceff292cdc.jpeg
The pace at which ATMs will continue to decline is a subject of ongoing debate. Image by eduschadesoares from unsplash

A recent report by the Australian Banking Association reveals that an overwhelming 98.9 per cent of bank interactions in Australia over the past four years were conducted digitally.

As cash transactions and ATM machines continue to decline significantly, Associate Professor Christoph Breidbach from the University of Queensland's Business School predicts that fees for cash withdrawals may continue to rise for individuals who still prefer or require cash transactions.

Breidbach said, ‘It’s expensive for banks to run ATMs. Now we have a Covid and post-Covid society, which has supercharged a cashless society because people were afraid to touch cash. An increase in fees for ATM transactions is the logical consequence because there are fewer and fewer people using them, but the cost (to run them) is the same.’

John Hicks, an Economics Professor at Charles Sturt University, agreed with the notion that it is logical for banks to divest themselves of ATMs as they become less profitable.

Consequently, third-party entities will impose fees since they, too, require revenue generation.

Professor Mark Humphery-Jenner expressed a different perspective, indicating scepticism regarding the imminent disappearance of ATMs.

He said, ‘Banks sometimes claim that ATMs are unnecessary, but this is disingenuous. If cash were so disliked and ATMs so unnecessary, why do third parties think they can make a profit by running ATMs?’

Key Takeaways
  • Banks offloading ATMs to third-party suppliers is having a negative impact on Australians with high withdrawal fees reinstated.
  • Some Australian banks have signed agreements with currency management service provider Armaguard, effectively offloading a significant portion of their ATMs.
  • The University of New South Wales Associate Professor of Finance, Mark Humphery-Jenner, warned that this trend impacts everyone and particularly harms those who make smaller withdrawals more often.
  • Despite the trend of increasing ATM fees, several options are still available for customers seeking to avoid these fees, such as withdrawing at bank branches or switching to banks that waive ATM fees from all machines.

In a nutshell, banks will keep watching their dollars, and we, in turn, need to keep a vigilant eye on ours.

Are you concerned about the decreasing accessibility of fee-free ATMs and the potential financial impact on individuals, especially those with limited budgets? Do you believe that the shift towards a cashless society will lead to the complete disappearance of ATMs? Share your opinions; we’re all ears.

Sponsored
So, how long before Woolies/Coles wake up to this bonanza and start charging you to withdraw cash from their front desks -- which, you have to admit, is very handy, but must overcome the necessity to visit the banks to do the same thing? Who knows, in these days of underhand business dealings, whether there isn't some sort of kickback deal between the banks and the chains to get and keep these transactions going, to the benefit of both? OOPS! Did I say that?

Last edited:
My local ATM used to be from one of the BIG 4, but changed to a private, non-bank ATM. It now costs $2.70 to withdraw cash. I needed cash the other week, and it was pay the fee or use petrol and time to drive to an ATM that would not cost me anything.
I have also noticed now most businesses are charging a card transaction fee even for purchases above $10.00. I'm trying to get back to cash transactions and reminding myself to withdraw from my bank's ATM.
Time to go back to cash.

I’ve been with ING for a number of years and I will stick with them. They haven’t charged ATM fees ever as far as I know. I’ve never had a problem with them either, so if I was with any of the other banks, I’d certainly be changing to ING. If everyone started leaving all these other greedy bank, things would change in a hurry for sure

Remember the good ol' days when visiting the local ATM didn't come with a price tag? When the convenience of cash withdrawal was simply that—a convenience?

Well, brace yourselves. These days, a simple visit to the ATM could leave you lighter in the pocket than you'd expected. And it's not the cash withdrawal we're talking about!

In 2017, a wave of relief washed over us as Australian banks declared they'd be scrapping cash-out fees for using another bank’s ATMs. The ATM landscape had begun to look like a consumer's dream: free and accessible.

Fast forward six years, and the lush landscape of fee-free withdrawals has become somewhat barren.

Nowadays, you are more likely to stumble upon an independent ATM provider showing no mercy with their hefty withdrawal costs.

View attachment 24505
There is a growing trend among banks to enter into agreements with third-party entities for their ATMs. Image by Peggy_Marco from pixabay

Associate Professor of Finance at the University of New South Wales, Mark Humphery-Jenner, said that these sly moves benefit banks, reducing their operational costs while simultaneously hitting consumers’ pockets.

'ATMx (owned by Armaguard) is now increasingly replacing ANZ machines. Unless your bank has a fee waiver agreement with ATMx, they will charge you $3 to withdraw your money.' cautioned the professor.

This is no trivial matter. Multiple withdrawals could quickly add up to a substantial loss for fixed-income or lower-income earners with tight budgets.

The professor suggested consumers could evade these fees by withdrawing money in person at bank branches.

Now you might wonder, 'What other options do we have?' Well, there is still light at the end of the tunnel.

Macquarie Bank and ING are still championing the cause of fee-free withdrawals across all ATMs. Ample reason to consider that switch, perhaps?

With the surge of digital transactions, it seems plausible to question the longevity of ATMs.

Based on data from the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, the number of ATMs in Australia has decreased by half between 2017 and 2022.

View attachment 24506
The pace at which ATMs will continue to decline is a subject of ongoing debate. Image by eduschadesoares from unsplash

A recent report by the Australian Banking Association reveals that an overwhelming 98.9 per cent of bank interactions in Australia over the past four years were conducted digitally.

As cash transactions and ATM machines continue to decline significantly, Associate Professor Christoph Breidbach from the University of Queensland's Business School predicts that fees for cash withdrawals may continue to rise for individuals who still prefer or require cash transactions.

Breidbach said, ‘It’s expensive for banks to run ATMs. Now we have a Covid and post-Covid society, which has supercharged a cashless society because people were afraid to touch cash. An increase in fees for ATM transactions is the logical consequence because there are fewer and fewer people using them, but the cost (to run them) is the same.’

John Hicks, an Economics Professor at Charles Sturt University, agreed with the notion that it is logical for banks to divest themselves of ATMs as they become less profitable.

Consequently, third-party entities will impose fees since they, too, require revenue generation.

Professor Mark Humphery-Jenner expressed a different perspective, indicating scepticism regarding the imminent disappearance of ATMs.

He said, ‘Banks sometimes claim that ATMs are unnecessary, but this is disingenuous. If cash were so disliked and ATMs so unnecessary, why do third parties think they can make a profit by running ATMs?’

Key Takeaways

• Banks offloading ATMs to third-party suppliers is having a negative impact on Australians with high withdrawal fees reinstated.
  • Some Australian banks have signed agreements with currency management service provider Armaguard, effectively offloading a significant portion of their ATMs.
  • The University of New South Wales Associate Professor of Finance, Mark Humphery-Jenner, warned that this trend impacts everyone and particularly harms those who make smaller withdrawals more often.
  • Despite the trend of increasing ATM fees, several options are still available for customers seeking to avoid these fees, such as withdrawing at bank branches or switching to banks that waive ATM fees from all machines.

In a nutshell, banks will keep watching their dollars, and we, in turn, need to keep a vigilant eye on ours.

Are you concerned about the decreasing accessibility of fee-free ATMs and the potential financial impact on individuals, especially those with limited budgets? Do you believe that the shift towards a cashless society will lead to the complete disappearance of ATMs? Share your opinions; we’re all ears.
I’ve been with ING for a number of years and I will stick with them. They haven’t charged ATM fees ever as far as I know. I’ve never had a problem with them either, so if I was with any of the other banks, I’d certainly be changing to ING. If everyone started leaving all these other greedy bank, things would change in a hurry for sure

Reactions: Tervueren
We are heading to a cashless society another part of the one world order .only yesterday Schwabb of WEF stated by 2030 we will not be wearing fashion we will all be wearing uniforms, (slaves) also another of the WEF stated there will be no cash only digital in 5 years. So people use it or lose it. This way they control what you can buy etc. So scary times ahead. Coulson

We should not have to pay to withdraw our own money out of the bank. With the Banks closing branches it makes it very inconvenient to leave our money in the bank at all. Surely the government can't make us go cashless. Most people charge a fee now for using credit card. How is it that the government are allowed to accept their large payrise when everyone else has to fight for a smaller one. A percentage pay rise for the government is worth twice has much as the lower paid people, because they already get more than they deserve.

View attachment 24505

View attachment 24506

Key Takeaways

You can always get cash out at supermarkets at no extra charge

We are heading to a cashless society another part of the one world order .only yesterday Schwabb of WEF stated by 2030 we will not be wearing fashion we will all be wearing uniforms, (slaves) also another of the WEF stated there will be no cash only digital in 5 years. So people use it or lose it. This way they control what you can buy etc. So scary times ahead. Coulson
There's a difference between, fashion & a uniform. Puffa jackets are the norm in the winter months, whatever Taylor Swift wears subsequently becomes the uniform of Swifties, the list goes on.

Hi Guys and Girls again we get stitched by the BIG 4 what's next no matter what you do the BIG 4 stitch you up banks used to be a place for safe haven and good advice on how to and what to do with your money not no more it's all about how they can make money off your money
I was with ANZ and the regional town near me did have a ANZ ATM and a privately owned ATM next to it guess what in line with ANZ branches closing all over the place the ATM disappeared from the wall and the privately owned one stayed I changed banks to another banking system that has branches all over Australia and in regional areas this is great for me not a big fan of the citys

In my area commbank has has sold all theirs to Armaguard. If we want any money we have to go to the actual bank to get it

View attachment 24505

View attachment 24506

Key Takeaways

For us older people 😂, cash is king. We don’t have to pay extra fees for making a card payment and we also know what money we have left to use in our wallets.
I always ask if the shop accepts cash before I make a payment as some places have gone cashless.

View attachment 24505

View attachment 24506

Key Takeaways

Bloody bank's and fee's profits 📈 before customers makes me mad 🤬 better off going to the bank 🏦 withdraw all your money 💰leave enough to keep the account going and use cash 💸 instead of paying by efpos no fee's for the parasites 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

For us older people 😂, cash is king. We don’t have to pay extra fees for making a card payment and we also know what money we have left to use in our wallets.
I always ask if the shop accepts cash before I make a payment as some places have gone cashless.
I call my partner a 'fossil' for insisting on paying cash for a lot of his purchases although I am 7 years older than he is.

Ever since the pandemic, I have used card for all my purchases, choosing EFTPOS transactions in stores that charge for credit card transactions, such as Aldi.

I have a few dollars in my purse, from an ATM withdrawal back around Easter, that will most likely still be there this time next year.

You’re right! Our 2 local shop atms have disappeared & were replaced with a private ATM machine. Now if you want cash out after hours or on a Sunday, you are facing a $3 charge so have to make it worthwhile, withdrawing over $100. Admittedly you can get cash out with a purchase at the supermarket free but that doesn’t help after hours.
We certainly are heading for cashless society, we are monitored constantly via our transactions. Slowly our privacy is being eroded, supposedly for our own good.
The final book of the Bible gives a chilling account of big brother control.
We need to keep short accounts with our families and God as one way or another our time is short.

Patrick Ward. SA.

View attachment 24505

View attachment 24506

Key Takeaways

Without doubt it will happen NAB will be next in line. Customer service is a term that's been lost by them in their pursuit of bigger and bigger profits.

I use both depending on what I am doing, I do however prefer to use case particularly when they want to put a surcharge on your card. It is also easier to know how much you have if you use cash.

I personally think your husband is the smart one.
I myself have gone back to making one withdrawal for the fortnight for my grocery shop.
I also shop at Aldi, to save not pay card fees, and although they are not astronomical all little expenses add up over a year.
But my main reason for avoiding my card as much as possible as it is too easy to just tap your card willy nilly and not keep control of your spending.
We only have one ATM in our little country town and at least it is free.
There is a wise old saying "if you take care of the pennies the pounds will take care of themselves"