Is this the end of the lettuce crisis? One mum finds $2.99 lettuce at local supermarket

After months of news stories about how the prices of fresh food are going through the roof, a humble vegetable has become the symbol of the rising cost of living and soaring inflation.

The lettuce has been the 'talk of the town' ever since it was sold for the outrageous price of $12 per head.

The price increase affected the supply at supermarkets and major fast food chains, which quickly switched to using cabbage in place of iceberg lettuce. Other restaurants also either raised their prices for anything containing iceberg lettuce or completely removed it from the menu.

And, of course, even though the news has left some of us feeling a little stressed and anxious, the Australian spirit can still shine through and make light of the situation by injecting our humour into it. This is something that we Aussies are great at doing!

Recently though, the simple lettuce has once again captured the attention of many Aussie shoppers on social media. But don't panic folks! The reason is not what you think…

Ozeb-BLS9OH2Yw9pxK9K5Avh73tDceqXs-rn8nufV1pMAbW1c13TCddlFJ0IswTrMg8_C2STH3meR68G_-u3kgtzwFC1rux7_4961jzw4ArD4P94-PE-7s3Iw8qrWsra33g8ZfHuPKapsBlmdYjvq9E

A mum was able to purchase iceberg lettuce for the incredibly low price of only $2.99. Credit: Facebook.

Sharing on Facebook, one mum shocked her fellow bargain hunters when she posted a photo showing heads of iceberg lettuce priced at only $2.99 each. In the woman's photo, a massive stack of individually wrapped lettuce is seen in the middle of the store.

The mum, who hails from Wodonga on the NSW-Victoria border, said she saw the cheap lettuce at one of her favourite grocers, and she was ecstatic to learn that her family would once again be able to enjoy eating it.

Finally, some good news!

It's not surprising that the mum's post received a ton of attention on social media, with many fellow bargain hunters asking her for more information, such as the store's location and whether or not they were on sale.

'Where is this? I would travel for decent lettuce, I bought one the other day for $10 and I still can't stop thinking about it,' one woman wrote in the comments section.

'I can never find good deals; the best I have got for lettuce lately is $5.99…' said a second user.

Meanwhile, a third person congratulated the mum for her incredible bargain find. 'This is amazing. Happy days!'

On the other hand, many brought up the fact that the supermarket wrapped each head of lettuce with an excessive number of plastic bags.

One woman called it 'gross' and said, 'Why would you wrap them all in single-use plastic…'

But other users responded in jest and joked that the plastic bags were used as a form of 'protection' so that other shoppers couldn't remove a few extra leaves from another head of lettuce.

A woman agreed and added, 'True, they are so valuable these days they need the extra protection.'

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you think that the prices of fresh produce at supermarkets are really going to start going down after this? Let us know in the comments!

And now that lettuce is soon to be back on the menu, celebrate the news by making yourself a quick (and easy) hearty salad! Check out the recipe below:

Credit: The Mediterranean Dish.

Sponsored
My corner shop man said all fruit n veg is still going up at Sydney markets except banana's. I've seen before lettuce wrapped in plastic, I won't buy them when wrapped as I have found on a number of times the leaves inside are browning. Eggs atm are a hard find in supermarkets

Reactions: Ricci
My corner shop man said all fruit n veg is still going up at Sydney markets except banana's. I've seen before lettuce wrapped in plastic, I won't buy them when wrapped as I have found on a number of times the leaves inside are browning. Eggs atm are a hard find in supermarkets
They are normally close to the milk

After months of news stories about how the prices of fresh food are going through the roof, a humble vegetable has become the symbol of the rising cost of living and soaring inflation.

The lettuce has been the 'talk of the town' ever since it was sold for the outrageous price of $12 per head.

The price increase affected the supply at supermarkets and major fast food chains, which quickly switched to using cabbage in place of iceberg lettuce. Other restaurants also either raised their prices for anything containing iceberg lettuce or completely removed it from the menu.

And, of course, even though the news has left some of us feeling a little stressed and anxious, the Australian spirit can still shine through and make light of the situation by injecting our humour into it. This is something that we Aussies are great at doing!

Recently though, the simple lettuce has once again captured the attention of many Aussie shoppers on social media. But don't panic folks! The reason is not what you think…

Ozeb-BLS9OH2Yw9pxK9K5Avh73tDceqXs-rn8nufV1pMAbW1c13TCddlFJ0IswTrMg8_C2STH3meR68G_-u3kgtzwFC1rux7_4961jzw4ArD4P94-PE-7s3Iw8qrWsra33g8ZfHuPKapsBlmdYjvq9E

A mum was able to purchase iceberg lettuce for the incredibly low price of only $2.99. Credit: Facebook.

Sharing on Facebook, one mum shocked her fellow bargain hunters when she posted a photo showing heads of iceberg lettuce priced at only $2.99 each. In the woman's photo, a massive stack of individually wrapped lettuce is seen in the middle of the store.

The mum, who hails from Wodonga on the NSW-Victoria border, said she saw the cheap lettuce at one of her favourite grocers, and she was ecstatic to learn that her family would once again be able to enjoy eating it.

Finally, some good news!

It's not surprising that the mum's post received a ton of attention on social media, with many fellow bargain hunters asking her for more information, such as the store's location and whether or not they were on sale.

'Where is this? I would travel for decent lettuce, I bought one the other day for $10 and I still can't stop thinking about it,' one woman wrote in the comments section.

'I can never find good deals; the best I have got for lettuce lately is $5.99…' said a second user.

Meanwhile, a third person congratulated the mum for her incredible bargain find. 'This is amazing. Happy days!'

On the other hand, many brought up the fact that the supermarket wrapped each head of lettuce with an excessive number of plastic bags.

One woman called it 'gross' and said, 'Why would you wrap them all in single-use plastic…'

But other users responded in jest and joked that the plastic bags were used as a form of 'protection' so that other shoppers couldn't remove a few extra leaves from another head of lettuce.

A woman agreed and added, 'True, they are so valuable these days they need the extra protection.'

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you think that the prices of fresh produce at supermarkets are really going to start going down after this? Let us know in the comments!

And now that lettuce is soon to be back on the menu, celebrate the news by making yourself a quick (and easy) hearty salad! Check out the recipe below:

I find that buying a bag of lettuce leaves for $2 is the best way to go unless you can guarantee eating the whole lettuce

Reactions: Phyll and Ricci

Finally, some good news!

The most I have paid for cos letter was $3.49 for a two pack on Monday....never the high prices in the eastern states...of course this was from Aldi. I baulked at paying $2.79 for a continental cucumber and went to another independent store thinking would be cheaper...wrong...was $4.49. The week previously I had purchased one for 99 cents and thought it would be around the same. Never mind I did not really need it. Will go without as I will not pay that price for a cucumber.

Finally, some good news!

I wouldn't pay more than 3.50 for a lettuce, anything over that sorry, not that desperate!

Finally, some good news!

Wrap your lettuce in foil, it stays crispy for weeks,

Reactions: Ejt and Ricci