Is this man's disability a reason to be kicked off a flight? One airline seems to think so – 'It is humiliating'

There's nothing more frustrating than planning a trip, packing your bags, and heading to the airport only to find out that your flight has been cancelled or delayed.

But we here at the Seniors Discount Club can imagine that it would be even more upsetting – not to mention humiliating – if you have kicked off a plane simply because of your disability.

A man with a disability claims he was forced off a plane and left stranded at Melbourne Airport by an allegedly unsympathetic Qatar Airways employee.

Craig Nolan, who uses a wheelchair due to spina bifida, said that while he was just about to make his way back home to Finland from Australia, the airline employee unexpectedly asked him to leave the aircraft without any explanation.

Craig was just completing his holiday in Australia for a family funeral when he experienced the unpleasant situation.

a86cb999f826cd932f032cbbd6bcecb8b5825eb1.png

Craig Nolan and his childhood friend Brigitte claimed that he was refused boarding on a Qatar Airways flight due to his disability and was delayed at Melbourne Airport. Credit: Seven.

Two stewardesses were the ones who assisted him in boarding the plane, lifting him over a step and guiding him to his seat.

He recalled that he asked one of the stewardesses — 'just bring the aisle chair' — for assistance and she agreed to help him.

'I sat there and a stewardess approached me and asked what help I needed during the flight and I said just bring me back to my seat afterwards, as is their job as a stewardess,' he added.

When one of the stewardesses advised him to leave the flight, he asked her the reason. He was reportedly told that he was travelling alone as a disabled person and there was no assistance available for him, prompting the employee to ask him to get off the aeroplane.

'I asked whose decision that was, and I was told it was the captain’s. I asked to speak with the captain and was denied that opportunity,' recalled Craig.

'They didn’t want any further discussion.'

However, the 43-year-old insisted that he does not need assistance with his bathroom needs during the flight.

Craig’s childhood friend Brigitte mentioned that they have travelled to different countries many times together and have never encountered any major problems during their trips.

'Never before have we had any issues like this where he is articulating his needs quite clearly,' said Brigitte.

'And had this type of discrimination, and it’s just humiliating where he was kicked off a plane.'

Speaking of travelling to different countries, Craig recalled that since he was a child and was first diagnosed with spina bifida, he has travelled to approximately 30 countries all over the world without experiencing any problems.

'I’ve travelled the world, and it’s never happened in the 20-plus years I’ve been travelling,' he added.

Key Takeaways

• A man with spina bifida was allegedly kicked off a Qatar Airways flight because he was travelling alone.
  • The man claims he was not allowed to speak with the captain and was only told it was the captain's decision.
  • The man's friend says they have travelled together to many different countries without any issues.
  • The man says he has travelled to over 30 countries without any problems like this.

Qatar Airways has yet to comment on the incident.

What are your thoughts, folks?

Sponsored
There's nothing more frustrating than planning a trip, packing your bags, and heading to the airport only to find out that your flight has been cancelled or delayed.

But we here at the Seniors Discount Club can imagine that it would be even more upsetting – not to mention humiliating – if you have kicked off a plane simply because of your disability.

A man with a disability claims he was forced off a plane and left stranded at Melbourne Airport by an allegedly unsympathetic Qatar Airways employee.

Craig Nolan, who uses a wheelchair due to spina bifida, said that while he was just about to make his way back home to Finland from Australia, the airline employee unexpectedly asked him to leave the aircraft without any explanation.

Craig was just completing his holiday in Australia for a family funeral when he experienced the unpleasant situation.

Craig Nolan and his childhood friend Brigitte claimed that he was refused boarding on a Qatar Airways flight due to his disability and was delayed at Melbourne Airport. Credit: Seven.

Two stewardesses were the ones who assisted him in boarding the plane, lifting him over a step and guiding him to his seat.

He recalled that he asked one of the stewardesses — 'just bring the aisle chair' — for assistance and she agreed to help him.

'I sat there and a stewardess approached me and asked what help I needed during the flight and I said just bring me back to my seat afterwards, as is their job as a stewardess,' he added.

When one of the stewardesses advised him to leave the flight, he asked her the reason. He was reportedly told that he was travelling alone as a disabled person and there was no assistance available for him, prompting the employee to ask him to get off the aeroplane.

'I asked whose decision that was, and I was told it was the captain’s. I asked to speak with the captain and was denied that opportunity,' recalled Craig.

However, the 43-year-old insisted that he does not need assistance with his bathroom needs during the flight.

Craig’s childhood friend Brigitte mentioned that they have travelled to different countries many times together and have never encountered any major problems during their trips.

'Never before have we had any issues like this where he is articulating his needs quite clearly,' said Brigitte.

'And had this type of discrimination, and it’s just humiliating where he was kicked off a plane.'

Speaking of travelling to different countries, Craig recalled that since he was a child and was first diagnosed with spina bifida, he has travelled to approximately 30 countries all over the world without experiencing any problems.

'I’ve travelled the world, and it’s never happened in the 20-plus years I’ve been travelling,' he added.

Key Takeaways

• A man with spina bifida was allegedly kicked off a Qatar Airways flight because he was travelling alone.
  • The man claims he was not allowed to speak with the captain and was only told it was the captain's decision.
  • The man's friend says they have travelled together to many different countries without any issues.
  • The man says he has travelled to over 30 countries without any problems like this.

If this is the true reason for him being told to disembark, it’s disgusting and Qatar needs to publicly explain itself immediately, issue an abject apology and provide generous compensation. Discrimination of ANY SORT is completely unacceptable in todays world.

Key Takeaways

Disgusting way to treat anybody, regardless of their disability everyone has the right to travel. Qatar airlines must be held responsible for this immediately

Key Takeaways

What are your thoughts, folks

This is not as bad as the man in a wheel chair. I was travelling with Jetstar once when I had my right arm in a sling. The hostess would not help me get my small suitqacse up into the luggage compartment. I was in luck, a man came along and placed it up for me. I also travelled with Virgin wih my arm in a sling and the hostess was only too willing to help me. As a result I have not travelled with Jetstar again.

Key Takeaways

Absolutely discusting treatment.hoEd come he was helped onboard the plane by 2 air hostesses, then a supposedly different one tells him to get off. What's wrong with them, he says he doesn't need any help whilst in the seat, not any bathroom visits, so why kick him off??
There are some people who shouldn't be employed by airlines, as there are some who shouldn't be allowed to fly.

I am looking at a future of maybe being in a wheelchair (if I don't soon get the op I need) and to be honest it scares the bejesus out of me. Not the actuality of a wheelchair but the horror stories around it that I've heard. The discrimination in this day and age is ridiculous, you are seen as less of a person if your mobility is completed in a sitting position and many people also see this as proof that your mental acuity must also be compromised. :mad: :mad:

• Sad
Reactions: Liz and debjane

Key Takeaways

Discrimination for sure. I won’t be going Qatar.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci

Key Takeaways

That discriminating gestapostaff member should be sacked immediately and Craig should be reimbursed his fair and given another free flight as compensation if not more.... But from what I have herd of Qatar airlines then I would not use it along with Qantas Airlines

Reactions: Liz and Ricci

Key Takeaways

It was Alright to take his money for the fare.

Key Takeaways

Typical of Qatar Air to do this because they do not respect people's rights. Should have gone with Qantas Airways .

Unfortunately, it is not only this airline. The local taxi's in Brisbane are refusing disabled people rides because it takes too long to get them into a taxi. Absolute discrimination. Disabled people have a right to get to their destinations in taxis and to go shopping and meet other friends. I think this sort of thing is disgusting behaviour. Where is it going to end.:mad: