Is this $9 Kmart organisation tip worth it? Find out why shoppers are split!

The temptation of a cheap and easy storage hack is strong - especially when it comes to the ever-challenging task of decluttering our kitchens.

So, when someone shared their clever new idea using a humble yet versatile $9 Kmart item, it quickly gained popularity among Aussies who are looking to cut costs and still achieve a sparkling, organised kitchen.

However, not everyone seemed to be on board with the 'handy' tip...

One woman took to Facebook to show off the simple product that saved her a ton of space and money: four Stick and Stack Drawers from Kmart for only $9.

She explained that she had used the drawers to make better use of the limited space in her freezer, calling it a 'game changer'.

'Great way to organise the freezer,' she wrote in her post.

c9266360-8e1f-11ed-9f7f-69e507db4862

A woman stirred an online debate after she revealed that she used four stackable shelves from Kmart to organise her freezer. Credit: Facebook.

The post soon blew up, with nearly a thousand reactions and hundreds of mixed comments from followers. Some commended her for her clever hack, with one user calling it 'brilliant', 'amazing', and 'genius'.

One user said: 'I’m now running to Kmart to purchase this, thank you!'

'This is awesome,' another praised.

A third chimed in: 'I’d take it one step further and make it meals in there. So you'd just have to take an entire box out to defrost for dinner.'

But as with most life hacks, there were those who thought that this tip may not be as efficient as the original poster intended it to be.

Many shoppers wrote in the comments to warn other followers about practicality issues.

'Nope, don't do it,' one person said.

'These aren't designed for freezing and will shatter, you've also greatly reduced air circulation and food won't freeze properly.'

Another added: 'Maybe not the best idea for a freezer.'

'No airflow would get inside the shelves to freeze the items. You will end up with off food.'

One woman even reported that she had previously bought the drawers and put them in her fridge, only to find out later that they had 'shattered' due to the temperature!

She shared: 'I did the same thing, but several weeks later they were no good anymore. The drawers shattered... temperature too cold for the plastic.'

'Try and find some freezer-safe stackable drawers.'

The original poster later wrote that she plans on adding holes to the drawers to increase airflow. She also expressed her gratitude to the commenters who warned her of the potential hazards of the set up.

So while Kmart’s Anko Stackable Drawers are great for storing toys and everyday essentials in the bathroom, pantry, and study, it’s probably a good idea to think twice before you use them in a highly-sensitive space like the fridge or freezer.

Key Takeaways

• A woman recently shared her unique kitchen hack on a popular Facebook group, where a $9 Kmart item was used to organise her freezer
  • The post received mixed reactions, with some hailing the shopper as ‘brilliant’ and ‘amazing’, while others were concerned it might not be a safe practice
  • Kmart's website states the Anko Stackable Drawers are best suited for storing everyday essentials, though some shoppers have said they've used it successfully in other areas too
  • The poster later responded, saying she plans to add holes to the drawers to increase airflow and reduce the risk of them shattering in the cold temperatures of the freezer

Sharing advice on how to organise a freezer is a popular topic among home organisation enthusiasts and there are a lot of home cooks and professional chefs sharing their tricks and tips.

Having said that, we want to take this opportunity to share with you some of our favourite organisation tips:

1. Keep a variety of frozen vegetables on hand by sorting them by type into freezer bags or containers and storing them in the freezer. This is an easy way to add fresh vegetables to any meal.

2. Wrap plastic bags in tin foil or place them inside plastic containers that have tight closures to keep them from leaking or scattering messes of food all over the freezer.

3. If you don't have room to store large quantities of frozen veggies or leftovers, buy smaller bags of food and transfer portions into freezer bags to free up more space in the freezer.

So, there you have it, folks! What do you think of this popular tip? Will you consider trying to do something like it? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I’ve been using these plastic containers in my fridge for years with no problems. In my freezer I use stackable wire baskets From Big W. I think they were about $8 each.

Has anybody written to Kmart to suggest they make freezer friendly drawers? Our freezer is a narrow, upright one, and *reasonably* easy to keep fairly well organised, but I can see how these types of drawers would improve things tremendously, especially for me in my 2-shelf GF section!

I think you have to use metal racks, but these need to be marine grade metal, or in simple terms metal that will not rust or corrode. The other option is to use second hand fridge shelves go to fridge mechanics or local recycling store 🤔

I use these in my pantry and I know where everything is, because I label the drawers. Just put like thinks together eg nuts and seeds or rice and dried legumes

Why not write to the maker of the freezer and ask them for some safe recommendations?

I’ve been using these plastic containers in my fridge for years with no problems. In my freezer I use stackable wire baskets From Big W. I think they were about $8 each.
Stupid idea. Don’t do it! Plastic will break and food won’t freeze properly. Freezer not designed for this. Admins…don’t give readers terribly ideas!