Is the cost of living crisis affecting your sex life? Half of Aussies say it is

The rising cost of living seems to be permeating through every aspect of our lives—and yes, we actually mean every aspect.

As the financial strains continue to tighten, an increasing number of Australians have noticed an unexpected casualty in the household—their sex lives.

In a surprising twist on the typical tales of growing grocery bills and increasingly expensive electricity, a study by Afterpay has discovered that financial stress is causing a ripple effect—leading 16 per cent of Aussies to experience diminished desire for physical intimacy, while a further one-seventh claim increased tension with their partners.

According to renowned sexologist Chantelle Otten, these external financial pressures often silence the sizzle in the sack. Money worries create a smokescreen, putting out the flames of passion beneath.

shutterstock_534102949 (1).jpg
Half of Australians report financial stress impacting their sex lives. Image Credit: Shutterstock

So, what's the solution? As we continue to count our dollars and cents, Otten makes a compelling case for the transformative magic of creativity.

'While financial concerns can cast a shadow over our love lives, there are plenty of cost-free ways to reignite the spark without further denting the bank balance,' she advises.

'Sex, let's not forget, is a potent stress-buster and a wonderful way to cement both physical and emotional connection with your partner.'

It seems budget restrictions might not be a total love buzzkill after all, but could instead push couples to think outside the box—discovering simple yet effective methods of adding that extra bit of 'wow' into their romantic lives.

Otten champions a back-to-basic approach—think dimmed lights, soulful music and using everyday household items like silk scarfs or ice cubes for sensory stimulation. This is not just sexologist mumbo-jumbo; it’s backed by Afterpay’s research, which found 17 per cent of Australians prefer setting the ambience with lighting and music or incorporating bedroom toys.

But hold on there! Before you start rummaging through your cupboards for unused kitchen items that could potentially double up as bedroom props, let’s keep the focus on simple and enjoyable pleasures that don’t necessarily require a trip down the homewares aisle.

Like conversations, for example. Open and continuous communication is free but holds immense value in difficult times, fostering a deeper understanding of a partner's desires, fantasies, and boundaries. Try to extend these conversations to financial stressors, too (though not while in the bedroom). You'll be surprised by the relief shared problem-solving can bring about!

And mixing things up a bit wouldn’t hurt, would it? Otten suggests adding the element of surprise and novelty to the intimate mix. It’s not just her theory; neuroscience backs it up, citing the release of dopamine, our brain’s feel-good chemical, when we encounter something new and exciting.

Trying out new scenarios, toys, or even outfits can keep the romance exciting and invigorating. In fact, nearly a quarter of Aussies named new lingerie and positions as their favourite ways of amping things up between the sheets.

Let's not sideline some good old romance, either. Surprises can come in many shapes and sizes, from cooking a meal together to setting up a home spa. Don't worry about 5-star experiences; it's the effort and thought that counts.

Activities that allow couples to explore each other’s bodies, something as simple as a massage, can breed a sense of connection and anticipation, far more exciting than a last-minute dinner reservation.

Key Takeaways
  • New research from Afterpay suggests financial pressures from the cost of living crisis have reduced the desire for physical intimacy for 16 per cent of Australians and caused higher tension with their partners for one in seven individuals.
  • Sexologist Chantelle Otten expressed that while financial worries can reduce libido, there are affordable ways to rekindle intimacy, such as setting the mood with lighting and music, using simple items for sensory play, and open communication.
  • Afterpay's research reveals that 17% of Australians prefer setting the mood with lighting and music or by incorporating toys into their physical intimacy.
  • Otten recommends simple romantic gestures such as cooking a meal together or giving each other massages as affordable ways to release tension and build anticipation.

'An enriching sex life doesn't necessarily mean an expensive one,' Otten concludes.

Wise words, indeed. So, whether it’s the whisper of silk against skin, the thrill of the unexpected, or the glow from a homemade candlelight dinner, sometimes the simplest pleasures might be the key to keeping the home fires burning amidst the cost of living crisis.

Remember, amid budgeting and tightening the belt, counting blessings and tightening hugs is important. Money indeed counts, but so does love. It might be time to stoke those embers and let your love life blaze anew. Despite the financial pressure, here's to keeping it sparky, not stark.

What do you think, members? If you feel comfortable sharing, we’re interested in whether you’ve found this to be true. Let us know in the comments below.

Reactions: Observer and Ezzy
Sponsored
WARNING DONT READ MAYBE X RATED TO SOME

You need to keep the spark going.

For those who are still raising kids and working and the added stress of interest rate rises I can imagine the problem being couples arguing and moving further apart.
It's so important to keep the spark alive.

Ice cubes were one off my favourite items which I not only used during massaging I also kept it in my mouth while massaging but won't say what I then did.

Really hot oil was another , that while massaging I would lightly drip the hot oil over hubby's body, he wouldn't know where I would drip it, because I dripped it slow it didn't burn .
I like lightly off, hubby likes lights on so we compromised with a soft lamp

For those who are still raising kids and working and the added stress of interest rate rises I can imagine the problem being couples arguing and moving further apart.

Ice cubes were one off my favourite items which I not only used during massaging I also kept it in my mouth while massaging but won't say what I then did.

Really hot oil was another , that while massaging I would lightly drip the hot oil over hubby's body, he wouldn't know where I would drip it, because I dripped it slow it didn't burn .
Very good :)

Reactions: Ezzy

You are a real tease aren't you, not disclosing what happened to those ice cubes. The mind runs rampant......