Is Subway's new direction a recipe for disaster? Sandwich chain introduces MAJOR CHANGE to its menu

Subway is making a big change to its menu in the wake of the rising cost of vegetables.

The fast food chain has announced that it will be mixing its lettuce with cabbage, becoming the second major company to do so in the face of a lettuce shortage.

The move comes as the price of lettuce has soared to as much as $12 a head, putting a strain on fast food chains across the country.

A statement posted on the company's website read: “Being a fresh food company means riding the ups and downs of fresh produce.”

“We’re currently facing a shortage of lettuce from our local lettuce farmers."

“So, in the short-term, we’ll be mixing lettuce with cabbage to keep you eating your favourite footlongs – while more lettuce is on the way.”

v59ZhsqxofaWAuSydRfMNFmfrmovCYcjmhD9LW61ob8x46MN30xvynWB1HVPyIQJ8Tqe0UrMG1mRLhxRi-bEMoencIi9APXpy_PkswAoy3GitUhzFcN7YRsKSB4K4Q_7-dcP6-4tOz5S4F2l

Subway introduced a major change that might upset their customers. Credit: news.com.au.

This means that Subway customers will now have both vegetables in their sandwiches and it remains to be seen how they will react to the change.

The move comes after KFC announced that the restaurant would implement the same measure to combat the supply chain issues on fresh produce.

According to a recent statement, KFC is facing a lettuce shortage due to flooding in Queensland and NSW. This means that some of your favourite menu items, like the Zinger burger, may be affected.

The iconic chain also posted a menu update on its website, advising customers in NSW, Victoria, Queensland, the ACT, and Tasmania that they may have a “temporary blend” of lettuce and cabbage in their meals to make up for the shortage.

Customers of the fast food chains reacted to the news, with many joking about the "apocalypse" that we currently are facing.

One person said: "Feels like a sign of the apocalypse."

Another customer took a jab at KFC's decision to mix up vegetables, writing: "The fact that you are replacing lettuce with cabbage makes me rethink my whole meal at KFC. There’s four or five other things I would eat before cabbage. It’s such a weird choice."

vLLr99LAkN5TCmw7N6r1KZFJyZNVDevO9GX_VOpLnMTynib9X0GLlp5UDhF7X3wFK90bYcXR3Gg8K6WC9CqvQkTXr4x6PkmszmBic8W91dGOkGen00lWqOVexVMxaYlcdKqxTxWwBQsiNM_N

Price of lettuce is at an all-time high, prompting fast food chains to make necessary adjustments in their menu offerings to combat the rising cost. Credit: news.com.au.

Meanwhile, a McDonald's spokesperson said that the fast food chain is currently "working closely with our suppliers to continue to serve up our full menu to customers".

It is understood that McDonald's is not experiencing supply chain issues at the moment and has not decided to add cabbage to its lettuce mix at this time.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it’s still worth it to purchase meals from fast food chains or should we opt for alternatives?

Speaking of alternatives, we recommend checking out this article for a homemade, “better-for-you” Zinger recipe.

• Sad
Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
Umm. I understand about the food shortages and the shortage of lettuces but the cost of cabbage has skyrocketed, How can this be sustainable when your humble head of cabbage is selling for in excess of $7. I hope they manage to source more lettuce soon.;)

Reactions: Peppa
I am not real keen on Cabbage but, if it is sliced finely and mixed with lettuce it would be ok. I also think there will be more item swaps in the near future for a lot of food restaurants.

Reactions: Ricci
Poor Subway & KFC, not making enough money hey?!?!?! Cabbage does not replace lettuce….a very different taste!!! Cook your own meals… a much healthier option anyway!!

I just looked up lettuce prices for Coles, Woolies and IGA. The highest price I found was $5.50. Yes that's high but it's certainly not $12. I call BS.

Is Subway's new direction a recipe for disaster? Sandwich chain introduces MAJOR CHANGE to its menu

Subway is making a big change to its menu in the wake of the rising cost of vegetables.

The fast food chain has announced that it will be mixing its lettuce with cabbage, becoming the second major company to do so in the face of a lettuce shortage.

The move comes as the price of lettuce has soared to as much as $12 a head, putting a strain on fast food chains across the country.

A statement posted on the company's website read: “Being a fresh food company means riding the ups and downs of fresh produce.”

“We’re currently facing a shortage of lettuce from our local lettuce farmers."

“So, in the short-term, we’ll be mixing lettuce with cabbage to keep you eating your favourite footlongs – while more lettuce is on the way.”

v59ZhsqxofaWAuSydRfMNFmfrmovCYcjmhD9LW61ob8x46MN30xvynWB1HVPyIQJ8Tqe0UrMG1mRLhxRi-bEMoencIi9APXpy_PkswAoy3GitUhzFcN7YRsKSB4K4Q_7-dcP6-4tOz5S4F2l

Subway introduced a major change that might upset their customers. Credit: news.com.au.

This means that Subway customers will now have both vegetables in their sandwiches and it remains to be seen how they will react to the change.

The move comes after KFC announced that the restaurant would implement the same measure to combat the supply chain issues on fresh produce.

According to a recent statement, KFC is facing a lettuce shortage due to flooding in Queensland and NSW. This means that some of your favourite menu items, like the Zinger burger, may be affected.

The iconic chain also posted a menu update on its website, advising customers in NSW, Victoria, Queensland, the ACT, and Tasmania that they may have a “temporary blend” of lettuce and cabbage in their meals to make up for the shortage.

Customers of the fast food chains reacted to the news, with many joking about the "apocalypse" that we currently are facing.

One person said: "Feels like a sign of the apocalypse."

Another customer took a jab at KFC's decision to mix up vegetables, writing: "The fact that you are replacing lettuce with cabbage makes me rethink my whole meal at KFC. There’s four or five other things I would eat before cabbage. It’s such a weird choice."

vLLr99LAkN5TCmw7N6r1KZFJyZNVDevO9GX_VOpLnMTynib9X0GLlp5UDhF7X3wFK90bYcXR3Gg8K6WC9CqvQkTXr4x6PkmszmBic8W91dGOkGen00lWqOVexVMxaYlcdKqxTxWwBQsiNM_N

Price of lettuce is at an all-time high, prompting fast food chains to make necessary adjustments in their menu offerings to combat the rising cost. Credit: news.com.au.

Meanwhile, a McDonald's spokesperson said that the fast food chain is currently "working closely with our suppliers to continue to serve up our full menu to customers".

It is understood that McDonald's is not experiencing supply chain issues at the moment and has not decided to add cabbage to its lettuce mix at this time.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it’s still worth it to purchase meals from fast food chains or should we opt for alternatives?

Speaking of alternatives, we recommend checking out this article for a homemade, “better-for-you” Zinger recipe.
Provided the Cabbage is sliced EXTREMELY FINELY, there will be no issue.
They cld chop it like KFC does in their Coleslaw - that way no one wld really notice it. BUT if left in lazy big chunks, customers will not be happy, Jan!
Those Chicken Fillets need to be halved, not just dumped in the middle as shown!
Lockdown equals Let Down!