Is Sara Lee coming back? Potential buyers line up to save the iconic brand

Fans of classic Australian dessert brand Sara Lee were devastated last month when news broke that the iconic company had fallen into voluntary administration.

However, in a surprising new development, it seems that beloved treats like apple pies, cheesecakes and frozen chocolate desserts from Sara Lee may not be disappearing from our shelves just yet.

After its unexpected financial setback, the renowned dessert brand Sara Lee might just find a lifeline as reports indicate that over 40 parties are considering buying the company.

On October 17, after over 50 years of offering iconic products such as apple pies, cheesecakes, and frozen chocolate desserts, Sara Lee entered voluntary administration.

The company appointed management consultants FTI Consulting to manage the sale or reorganisation of the business. Read the full details here.

Vaughan Strawbridge of FTI Consulting informed The Australian Financial Review of a ‘huge amount of interest in the business’.

‘It’s been a good mix of local and international trade buyers, local manufacturers that own their own brands. And we’ve also got a good mix of financial investors who are interested as well,’ said Mr Strawbridge.

308484569_10160980602641535_7517032376656388392_n.png
Apple pie desserts with Orchard Picked Apples, boxed and ready to serve. Image source: Facebook/@SaraLeeDesserts

He further confirmed that Sara Lee continues its operation, with nearly 200 employees actively producing its delightful desserts at its Lisarow factory, located in regional New South Wales (NSW).

‘Production will continue, people are still employed; importantly, we will be paying the wages on time,’ Mr Strawbridge confirmed.

Mr Strawbridge attributed the company’s challenges primarily to inflation.

‘There’s no surprise that the cost of doing business has gone up from raw materials, energy, logistics, and that’s just all the inflationary pressure,’ he said.

‘They have price increases that go through to customers and ultimately to end consumers, and that has resulted in reduced level of sales.’

Sara Lee was acquired from McCain Foods by New Zealand-based private equity firm South Island Office in 2021 for a projected $95 million.

The company records annual sales of roughly $122 million, with a significant portion stemming from frozen desserts.

Video source: Facebook/@nbntelevision

Mr Strawbridge noted that unanticipated costs after its acquisition contributed to its financial difficulties.

‘It has had to set up its head office function and back office. A lot of functions have been extracted out of the old McCain business, including logistics providers and cold storage. Those costs have been higher than first anticipated,’ he added.

The floods in Lismore, which devastated its ice cream factory, leading to missed sales and extra expenses to restore supply, further contributed to its downturn.

Mr Strawbridge said he’s working to confirm the position of unsecured creditors, with the first meeting for these creditors set for Friday.

Meanwhile, Aussies were taken aback by the news of Sara Lee entering administration, with fans expressing their surprise and sadness on social media platforms.

A user wrote, ‘No. Say it isn’t so,’ and another added, ‘No good for all families sad.’

A disappointed fan of the brand also posted: ‘There goes the iconic chocolate Bavarian.’

Someone else wrote: ‘Coles have not stocked their Deep Dish Apple Pie for over 7 months. We used to buy 5 each week for 6 years.’

Several social media users speculated about the reasons behind the dessert maker’s decline.

‘It’s because they changed the strawberry cheesecake’, one shared, while another suggested it’s the shift towards healthier eating: ‘Because people are getting healthier and waking up when it comes to sugar addiction.’

Others chimed in, confessing they no longer buy frozen desserts.

‘Why buy frozen when you can buy fresh?’ one asked.
Key Takeaways

• Iconic dessert brand Sara Lee may be saved from administration with news that over 40 parties are interested in buying the business.
  • The brand's financial issues are attributed to inflation and higher-than-expected costs, as well as damages from the Lismore floods.
  • The brand is currently continuing to trade, with almost 200 staff still producing its sweet treats from its factory.
  • Australian consumers have expressed shock and dismay on social media at the news of Sara Lee's financial woes.
Members, how many of you love Sara Lee’s products? Which item would you miss the most? Share your top picks in the comments below!

Sponsored
Surprise, Surprise I said last week we will all run out and buy some ( I did) then someone will take it over.
I think it may have been a deploy to boost sales . Then in another year we will hear , sadly its closed its doors

Reactions: Ricki
Other than the ice-cream can't say the last time I purchased any Sara Lee desserts. Will point out, it's not exactly what you would serve up at a dinner party, maybe 30 or so years ago was acceptable, but with Masterchef and the likes, a frozen apple pie just doesn't cut it.

Other than the ice-cream can't say the last time I purchased any Sara Lee desserts. Will point out, it's not exactly what you would serve up at a dinner party, maybe 30 or so years ago was acceptable, but with Masterchef and the likes, a frozen apple pie just doesn't cut it.
Totally agree I definitely wouldn't serve it up to guest but there are still alot of people out there that would, who either can't cook due to health or just font know how to cook.

I often buy the cheesecakes, mainly when on sale. Keep them in the freezer for visitors, also grandson loves the strawberry cheesecake frozen. Tasty.
I like the pastry on the apple pies😁haven’t had Sara Lee for donkeys years and probably never will again.homemade for me😁if you have time of course🙀

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
Great news that there are many interested parties looking to keep the business afloat. I just hope that ownership remains Down Under and doesn't go to the US or China. Aussies know what Aussies like😏😏😏

Reactions: Littleboy8
Not in years - rarely eat desserts unless I make them myself with the exception of the occasional chocolate topped eclair filled with custard and cream and then for me is a huge indulgence as it doesn't do anything good for my blood sugars but oh I enjoy every bite.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Not in years - rarely eat desserts unless I make them myself with the exception of the occasional chocolate topped eclair filled with custard and cream and then for me is a huge indulgence as it doesn't do anything good for my blood sugars but oh I enjoy every bite.
Haven’t had an eclair in years yummo😋😋

And there possibly goes another iconic Australian manufacturer.....quite possibly sold out to another overseas investor......the list just keeps on growing, such a damn shame......still there may be a slim chance that it will remain in Australian hands, lets hope so.