Is Kmart's new kiosk revolutionising shopping?

Shopping has come a long way in recent years! All the innovations have made finding the items we need and want at stores easier and more convenient.

One such retailer putting technology at the forefront is Kmart, as it makes more effort to streamline the shopping process with an innovative new kiosk currently being trialled.

Kmart recently announced its intention to trial a 'click and collect' kiosk in its stores.

Their goal? To revolutionise shopping by bringing orders to customers via warehouse robotics.

Kmart's General Manager of Property for Kmart and Target, Ben Smith, said that Kmart is ‘focused on constantly finding ways that evolve our customer experience to make shopping easier’.

1700193192913.jpeg
Kmart trials a ‘click and collect’ kiosk in its store. Credit: Ben Smith / LinkedIn

The Wesfarmers-owned company plans to test this new store addition for the next 12 months.

'We are currently trialling a number of new store elements in our Eastland store [in Melbourne] over the next year to see how these improve customer experience,' Smith said.

'A big part of that is looking at how we use technology to deliver not only productivity improvements in our operations but a better, more seamless customer experience when they come into store.’

'Our automated click and collect system is designed to create a simple, quick experience with a self-service kiosk–where customers get their products delivered automatically via warehouse robotics that works behind the scenes,’ he added.

According to Smith, the company also launched a ‘select and collect' service, ‘which is a [separate] kiosk within the store to shop big and bulky products’.

‘These then get collected via our “direct to boot” service to avoid the inconvenience of moving around large items when shopping, again making shopping a more seamless and convenient experience for our customers.’

Kmart's trial store at their Eastland, Melbourne, was the first time that a 'large format store' trialled this new in-store layout ‘for many years’, according to Smith's post on social media.

'The trial store is a test and learn for Kmart to create an even better experience for our customers,' he said.

Kmart also previously released an unconventional layout in its Eastland, Melbourne branch that places checkouts near the exit. Customers who took part in this trial will experience a more traditional retail layout as they will pay at the front of the store before leaving. Read more about the store’s new layout here.
Key Takeaways

• Kmart Australia is trialling a 'click and collect' service kiosk that employs warehouse robotics to deliver orders.
  • The retailer is dedicated to continuing the evolution of its customer experience to increase ease of shopping.
  • Kmart has also introduced a 'select and collect' service, ideal for large and bulky purchases, which can be collected via the 'direct to boot' service for convenience.
  • The trial at the Kmart Eastland store marks the first internal layout change for a 'large format store' in many years.
Members, what do you think of Kmart's new service? Do you think kiosks like these will save us time at checkouts? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy, BJM and joany
Sponsored
People are never happy
They complain about queues, not enough checkouts etc and then when a new idea is offered complain about that
So often we hear people complaining about self checkouts putting people out of work, but I've been told by a Woolies employee that this is not so, and they are having trouble filling jobs. More people are shopping online and they need more staff for these jobs.
Nobody has lost a.job because of self serve.
By the way I hate self serve, never use it

Reactions: gabbyj and DLHM
People are never happy
They complain about queues, not enough checkouts etc and then when a new idea is offered complain about that
So often we hear people complaining about self checkouts putting people out of work, but I've been told by a Woolies employee that this is not so, and they are having trouble filling jobs. More people are shopping online and they need more staff for these jobs.
Nobody has lost a.job because of self serve.
By the way I hate self serve, never use it
You’re spot on @mylittletibbies! (Except I like self serve when I only have a few items.) 😀

Shopping has come a long way in recent years! All the innovations have made finding the items we need and want at stores easier and more convenient.

One such retailer putting technology at the forefront is Kmart, as it makes more effort to streamline the shopping process with an innovative new kiosk currently being trialled.

Kmart recently announced its intention to trial a 'click and collect' kiosk in its stores.

Their goal? To revolutionise shopping by bringing orders to customers via warehouse robotics.

Kmart's General Manager of Property for Kmart and Target, Ben Smith, said that Kmart is ‘focused on constantly finding ways that evolve our customer experience to make shopping easier’.

View attachment 35837
Kmart trials a ‘click and collect’ kiosk in its store. Credit: Ben Smith / LinkedIn

The Wesfarmers-owned company plans to test this new store addition for the next 12 months.

'We are currently trialling a number of new store elements in our Eastland store [in Melbourne] over the next year to see how these improve customer experience,' Smith said.

'A big part of that is looking at how we use technology to deliver not only productivity improvements in our operations but a better, more seamless customer experience when they come into store.’

'Our automated click and collect system is designed to create a simple, quick experience with a self-service kiosk–where customers get their products delivered automatically via warehouse robotics that works behind the scenes,’ he added.

According to Smith, the company also launched a ‘select and collect' service, ‘which is a [separate] kiosk within the store to shop big and bulky products’.

‘These then get collected via our “direct to boot” service to avoid the inconvenience of moving around large items when shopping, again making shopping a more seamless and convenient experience for our customers.’

Kmart's trial store at their Eastland, Melbourne, was the first time that a 'large format store' trialled this new in-store layout ‘for many years’, according to Smith's post on social media.

'The trial store is a test and learn for Kmart to create an even better experience for our customers,' he said.

Kmart also previously released an unconventional layout in its Eastland, Melbourne branch that places checkouts near the exit. Customers who took part in this trial will experience a more traditional retail layout as they will pay at the front of the store before leaving. Read more about the store’s new layout here.
Key Takeaways

• Kmart Australia is trialling a 'click and collect' service kiosk that employ recs warehouse robotics to deliver orders.
  • The retailer is dedicated to continuing the evolution of its customer experience to increase ease of shopping.
  • Kmart has also introduced a 'select and collect' service, ideal for large and bulky purchases, which can be collected via the 'direct to boot' service for convenience.
  • The trial at the Kmart Eastland store marks the first internal layout change for a 'large format store' in many years.
Members, what do you think of Kmart's new service? Do you think kiosks like these will save us time at checkouts? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
I remember reading a story years ago about the future, on your sixtieth birthday you get a little pill from the government. With the exception of the hierarchy, they'd receive theirs at eighty.

I remember reading a story years ago about the future, on your sixtieth birthday you get a little pill from the government. With the exception of the hierarchy, they'd receive theirs at eighty.
I remember the movie Logan’s run it’s in the future and the government kill you once you turn 30.

• Wow
Reactions: Jarred Santos
I remember the movie Logan’s run it’s in the future and the government kill you once you turn 30.
Geez, that would be one way to lower the worlds population. Not sure how the under 30s would manage without the older people to guide them. Imagine a world where all the people in government were under 30, total chaos I’d say.

Reactions: terri and Bunyip57
Don't care about click and collect. I prefer to test my own fruit face to face.
Instead of innovating new systems, first order of the day is to get rid of that stupid middle of the store check out.

I guess it will save time and queues over the Christmas period. I rarely use click and collect as if I order anything on line I usually get it delivered as I have ’One Pass’ and it includes free delivery on many of the things I order