Is It Time to Ditch Coles and Woolworths?

Earlier in March, Scott Morrison warned Aussie shoppers to expect food and petrol prices to rise, following the soaring global inflation pressure from Russia’s war with Ukraine.

“Food and grain prices are rising, which will pose challenges to lower-income economies, including many in our own region,” said the Prime Minister.

“Commodity price rises will be the most obvious transmission channel to Australia. Petrol prices in Australia have risen, like they are elsewhere.”

And with the recent floods in New South Wales and Queensland, there is a ton of pressure that was put on fresh produce suppliers. That is why major supermarkets in Australia have been steadily raising the prices of everyday items, including fresh produce, just to cover their losses from the shortages.

Now that petrol and grocery costs are all going up, more and more Aussies are worrying about making their dollars go further.

So here is a simple tip that can help ease the load when it comes to grocery shopping!

AxC4s9t-wbyMhedMfGK49LmE3fCF20lTJyQrYc3itwruxXy7RVwLoLtvcfWoIwLJDbTRUdHlYSBMbg9-AQySn6bSERjtH4qukFo5m2Pjs9EB3co8WVOx9QGnwB0VFz-J0NMzK22z

Common grocery items look set to get more expensive this year. Credit: Unsplash/Michael Burrows.

According to John Chedid, the owner of the popular family-run grocer Mayfair Fresh in Petersham, shopping locally at an independent store instead of a major supermarket is one way Aussie shoppers can save on produce prices.

Recently, shoppers have cried out that a single piece of iceberg lettuce at Coles and Woolies costs $5.50, which is a bit too much already for the regular customer. Mr Chedid reminds fellow Aussies that the prices at independent grocers are much cheaper.

Mr Chedid’s iceberg lettuce is said to be 50 cents cheaper than Coles’. Even though the Sydney businessman is struggling to get stock, he wants to keep the prices as low as he can to help his beloved locals, amidst the ongoing price hikes.

He said he was even forced to sell some stock at the price he purchased it for just to make sure the local grocers thrive and don’t lose patrons.

“When you treat people like you want to be treated, you can’t go wrong in life. I’ve been receiving emails [from suppliers] with ridiculous prices but I don’t want to kill my customers,” said Mr Chedid.

H56z0fviAjQuY5_LTagCbunFqSwdnl6TxVCnezuVldNLwafHjtmERY-iXz4Jwv1CAeiAbBLZWG3qxVO_SaoW-0TjXDicUg5zkbydM2KLVtMkwbiSEuePxJ3-SMJd3G521RUZowdh

One shopper was over the moon to score this crate of veggies for under $40. Credit: Reddit.
A photo that has been making the rounds on the forum site Reddit also affirms the fact that shopping at independent stores is much better than going to major supermarkets.

One NZ shopper shared that they were able to buy a whole crate of fresh produce for under $40, and as you can see from the picture above, it sounds like a huge bargain already.

“[This is a] genuine gold tier idea,” commented one user, and we couldn’t agree more!

What are your thoughts, members?

Is it time to ditch major supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths and head over to our local independent grocers?

Sponsored
Great if one has a choice of an independent supermarket - unfortunately no such luck where we live, but we do support the local farmers' market on Saturdays.

Start growing your own veges, I have a small garden & to date about 15 capsicum almost ready to harvest, I grow English spinach it's perpetual, my tomatoes just finished, I grow ginger & tumeric which is super expensive to buy. Bok Choy &;baby spinach, lots of herbs which I pick in season & pop in my air fryer to dehydrate or puree & pop in zip lock bags & freeze. Perpetual means it keeps growing as you pick the leaves, all my fruit trees are in pots. A bit of liquid fertilizer regularly & you get bundles. Honestly it's not that hard.

I tried growing my own but the Bandicoots dug up most of it in their search for food, the bugs had a feast and what was left was looking very sorry for itself. Most of the plants in my garden have a very drunken lean to them, thanks Bandicoots. The nearest fresh market is nearly an hour away so with the cost of fuel not economic, therefore I'm left with Coles or Woolies. I eat frozen or tinned veggies now.:(

• Sad
Reactions: Sallym and KatKop
We grow vegies too, and we're happy to share with family and friends. I just wish we could figure out how to stop sharing them with all the cabbage moths! We can't spray with pesticides, our vegie garden is right next to our bee hive.
Lightly crush some egg shells around the plants and the moths think they are seeing other moths & territories. and move away. My father used to swear by this.

Earlier in March, Scott Morrison warned Aussie shoppers to expect food and petrol prices to rise, following the soaring global inflation pressure from Russia’s war with Ukraine.

“Food and grain prices are rising, which will pose challenges to lower-income economies, including many in our own region,” said the Prime Minister.

“Commodity price rises will be the most obvious transmission channel to Australia. Petrol prices in Australia have risen, like they are elsewhere.”

And with the recent floods in New South Wales and Queensland, there is a ton of pressure that was put on fresh produce suppliers. That is why major supermarkets in Australia have been steadily raising the prices of everyday items, including fresh produce, just to cover their losses from the shortages.

Now that petrol and grocery costs are all going up, more and more Aussies are worrying about making their dollars go further.

So here is a simple tip that can help ease the load when it comes to grocery shopping!

AxC4s9t-wbyMhedMfGK49LmE3fCF20lTJyQrYc3itwruxXy7RVwLoLtvcfWoIwLJDbTRUdHlYSBMbg9-AQySn6bSERjtH4qukFo5m2Pjs9EB3co8WVOx9QGnwB0VFz-J0NMzK22z

Common grocery items look set to get more expensive this year. Credit: Unsplash/Michael Burrows.

According to John Chedid, the owner of the popular family-run grocer Mayfair Fresh in Petersham, shopping locally at an independent store instead of a major supermarket is one way Aussie shoppers can save on produce prices.

Recently, shoppers have cried out that a single piece of iceberg lettuce at Coles and Woolies costs $5.50, which is a bit too much already for the regular customer. Mr Chedid reminds fellow Aussies that the prices at independent grocers are much cheaper.

Mr Chedid’s iceberg lettuce is said to be 50 cents cheaper than Coles’. Even though the Sydney businessman is struggling to get stock, he wants to keep the prices as low as he can to help his beloved locals, amidst the ongoing price hikes.

He said he was even forced to sell some stock at the price he purchased it for just to make sure the local grocers thrive and don’t lose patrons.

“When you treat people like you want to be treated, you can’t go wrong in life. I’ve been receiving emails [from suppliers] with ridiculous prices but I don’t want to kill my customers,” said Mr Chedid.

H56z0fviAjQuY5_LTagCbunFqSwdnl6TxVCnezuVldNLwafHjtmERY-iXz4Jwv1CAeiAbBLZWG3qxVO_SaoW-0TjXDicUg5zkbydM2KLVtMkwbiSEuePxJ3-SMJd3G521RUZowdh

One shopper was over the moon to score this crate of veggies for under $40. Credit: Reddit.
A photo that has been making the rounds on the forum site Reddit also affirms the fact that shopping at independent stores is much better than going to major supermarkets.

One NZ shopper shared that they were able to buy a whole crate of fresh produce for under $40, and as you can see from the picture above, it sounds like a huge bargain already.

“[This is a] genuine gold tier idea,” commented one user, and we couldn’t agree more!

Is it time to ditch major supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths and head over to our local independent grocers?
I have found only "some"products are cheaper than the major supermakets...No. I will not be doing al

my shopping at independents. I look at the weekly specials and stock up that way and save

Reactions: Ricci
I have found only "some"products are cheaper than the major supermakets...No. I will not be doing al

my shopping at independents. I look at the weekly specials and stock up that way and save
I have also found our local supermarket too dear unless it is one or two things on special. I save over $20 after petrol costs by going into regional centre 40 ks away and shopping at Coles, woollies and aldi. We live in the country and fruit and vegies are almost off when we buy them. We tried growing our own but between fruit fly, possums and all the bugs it is cheaper to buy. The cost of our water is a killer as well.

Reactions: rehandra and Ricci
If you are in Logan Qld. you may find that it is worth trying Mister Fresh, Browns Plains. Bananas, top quality, 98c kg yesterday and Woolworths $3 kg.

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
I tried growing my own but the Bandicoots dug up most of it in their search for food, the bugs had a feast and what was left was looking very sorry for itself. Most of the plants in my garden have a very drunken lean to them, thanks Bandicoots. The nearest fresh market is nearly an hour away so with the cost of fuel not economic, therefore I'm left with Coles or Woolies. I eat frozen or tinned veggies now.:(
I love that you have such active wildlife in your garden!

where I live we only have Coles and Aldi to shop at so I watch which ones is the cheapest and get it there I'm lucky we have a food care place that opens 3 day and it has veg and some grocery items cheap and once a month I drive down to a farmers market they have fresh veg cheep and I visit my girlfriend and we have lunch out so it is a mice day and I grow a lot of herbs and veg as well now as fruit trees

Yes it is particularly here in the west. Why do we ha e to rely on the eastern states for fresh produce when we grow it here. It is i dependent all the way for me

We grow vegies too, and we're happy to share with family and friends. I just wish we could figure out how to stop sharing them with all the cabbage moths! We can't spray with pesticides, our vegie garden is right next to our bee hive.
encourage the birds they will take care of them

Reactions: Bat and Ricci
Start growing your own veges, I have a small garden & to date about 15 capsicum almost ready to harvest, I grow English spinach it's perpetual, my tomatoes just finished, I grow ginger & tumeric which is super expensive to buy. Bok Choy &;baby spinach, lots of herbs which I pick in season & pop in my air fryer to dehydrate or puree & pop in zip lock bags & freeze. Perpetual means it keeps growing as you pick the leaves, all my fruit trees are in pots. A bit of liquid fertilizer regularly & you get bundles. Honestly it's not that hard.
Totally agree. I had lots of tomatoes which I shared. Now I am ready to pick my 6 red capsicums now selling @$12 a kilo in shops! Home grown tastes so much better & it's not hard.

where I live we only have Coles and Aldi to shop at so I watch which ones is the cheapest and get it there I'm lucky we have a food care place that opens 3 day and it has veg and some grocery items cheap and once a month I drive down to a farmers market they have fresh veg cheep and I visit my girlfriend and we have lunch out so it is a mice day and I grow a lot of herbs and veg as well now as fruit trees
spell checker maybe? lol