Is it okay to let your toddlers drink coffee and play with marbles? This mum-of-four says yes!

There's no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to parenting – what works for one family might not work for another. And when all else fails, a mother knows what’s best – at least, that’s how the saying goes.

An unconventional parenting approach is something Mara, a mum-of-four from Texas understands all too well. She raised four kids using gentle parenting techniques, which she recently shared in a TikTok video titled ‘Things I do as a parent that others don't agree with.’

In the now-viral clip, Mara gives viewers a glimpse into her unique parenting style by sharing some of the controversial methods she uses in raising her kids. These include allowing them to drink coffee, being barefoot in public, playing with marbles, and more.

You can watch the whole video here:

Mara starts the video by saying she lets her kids drink coffee, and then cuts to a clip of her son drinking Starbucks.

The next part of the clip shows her kids walking around a parking lot, barefoot. Mara says that she lets her children walk barefoot in public bathrooms as well. She also doesn’t restrict her children’s diets, she lets her boys wear dresses, and doesn’t force them to share their possessions.

You’d think that maybe she’d draw the line at some things, but Mara also lets her kids eat sand while at the beach, and allows her kids to take showers in the rain! Talk about being a laid-back mum.

toddler.png
Mara lets her kids eat whatever they want, sometimes they try eating sand. Credit: theamazingmara on TikTok

The clip has been viewed 4.4 million times, with over 600,000 likes and thousands of comments on Mara’s page. Many people were quick to criticise Mara's approach, labelling it ‘lazy parenting’.

One user wrote: ‘Wait ‘til they become teenagers and you have no control.’ While another commented, ‘Okay, but many of those are safety concerns.’ Another person criticised Mara rather harshly, saying ‘Some people are just dying to be different and for attention.’

Most of the comments on Mara’s page also expressed concern over the kids’ safety. One person said, ‘Barefoot in public? Germs aside, the broken glass and metal would concern me.’ While someone else chimed in, saying ‘Why are people so hung up on the sand and being barefoot? As an emergency nurse, it’s the marbles that are the biggest problem here!’

Not all of the comments contained criticisms, as many others came to Mara’s defence. One person wrote: ‘Ok, I personally think this is fine. I will never let my kid in the future do this, but it’s your way so I support [you].’ Another user pointed out that kids should be allowed to have their own opinions on things and not have to do anything they don’t want to do.

Key Takeaways

• A mother-of-four has shared the parenting strategies she employs which are considered ‘controversial’ by mainstream society, including allowing her kids to drink coffee and play with marbles.
  • Mara also allows her children to be barefoot in public, even in public bathrooms, and to have showers outside.
  • She doesn't force her children to share their possessions with siblings.
  • Plenty of her previously faithful followers were quick to criticise her approach, labelling it 'lazy parenting'.

Here at SDC, we believe that every family is different and that there is no single right or wrong way to raise kids. As long as they are loved and cared for, that's all that matters. But we would also love to hear your thoughts, dear members!

Do you think Mara is a fun mum, or is she setting her kids up for disaster in the future? Be sure to comment down below what you think!

Sponsored
There's no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to parenting – what works for one family might not work for another. And when all else fails, a mother knows what’s best – at least, that’s how the saying goes.

An unconventional parenting approach is something Mara, a mum-of-four from Texas understands all too well. She raised four kids using gentle parenting techniques, which she recently shared in a TikTok video titled ‘Things I do as a parent that others don't agree with.’

In the now-viral clip, Mara gives viewers a glimpse into her unique parenting style by sharing some of the controversial methods she uses in raising her kids. These include allowing them to drink coffee, being barefoot in public, playing with marbles, and more.

Mara starts the video by saying she lets her kids drink coffee, and then cuts to a clip of her son drinking Starbucks.

The next part of the clip shows her kids walking around a parking lot, barefoot. Mara says that she lets her children walk barefoot in public bathrooms as well. She also doesn’t restrict her children’s diets, she lets her boys wear dresses, and doesn’t force them to share their possessions.

You’d think that maybe she’d draw the line at some things, but Mara also lets her kids eat sand while at the beach, and allows her kids to take showers in the rain! Talk about being a laid-back mum.

View attachment 7318
Mara lets her kids eat whatever they want, sometimes they try eating sand. Credit: theamazingmara on TikTok

The clip has been viewed 4.4 million times, with over 600,000 likes and thousands of comments on Mara’s page. Many people were quick to criticise Mara's approach, labelling it ‘lazy parenting’.

One user wrote: ‘Wait ‘til they become teenagers and you have no control.’ While another commented, ‘Okay, but many of those are safety concerns.’ Another person criticised Mara rather harshly, saying ‘Some people are just dying to be different and for attention.’

Most of the comments on Mara’s page also expressed concern over the kids’ safety. One person said, ‘Barefoot in public? Germs aside, the broken glass and metal would concern me.’ While someone else chimed in, saying ‘Why are people so hung up on the sand and being barefoot? As an emergency nurse, it’s the marbles that are the biggest problem here!’

Not all of the comments contained criticisms, as many others came to Mara’s defence. One person wrote: ‘Ok, I personally think this is fine. I will never let my kid in the future do this, but it’s your way so I support [you].’ Another user pointed out that kids should be allowed to have their own opinions on things and not have to do anything they don’t want to do.

Key Takeaways

• A mother-of-four has shared the parenting strategies she employs which are considered ‘controversial’ by mainstream society, including allowing her kids to drink coffee and play with marbles.
  • Mara also allows her children to be barefoot in public, even in public bathrooms, and to have showers outside.
  • Plenty of her previously faithful followers were quick to criticise her approach, labelling it 'lazy parenting'.

Here at SDC, we believe that every family is different and that there is no single right or wrong way to raise kids. As long as they are loved and cared for, that's all that matters. But we would also love to hear your thoughts, dear members!

Do you think Mara is a fun mum, or is she setting her kids up for disaster in the future? Be sure to comment down below what you think!

View attachment 7318

Key Takeaways

I spent a lot of time barefoot and me feet were tough to the point when I came of my bike and needed stitches in my heel the doctor was struggling to put anaesthetic in. As for the "broken glass and metal", where are you taking you kids? If we went to the dump I had shoes on. Around the local park or streets or on the beach I was barefoot. A little bit of sand never hurt anyone. Kids need to learn to share but should also have some special things that are theirs only.

If the child is eating a lot of sand have a chat with the Doctor as it could be he needs something in his diet that he is getting from the sand. He will have to have some discipline otherwise he will be a social outcast.

Reactions: Ricci
I feel for the most part she’s letting her kids be kids. I cant see anything wrong with the kids being barefoot, I’m not a lover of wearing shoes myself. Is he eating sand or just seeing what it tastes like lol. As for the coffee, my kids were drinking it before they were a year old. One now hates the stuff and the other loves it! Knowing about caffeen now, I probably might not have given it to them but both are now in their forties so I guess they survived. I guess back then we didn’t have people commenting on Facebook making us feel bad

We never let our kids go outside without shoes. During our first summer in WA there were news articles about little ones getting the skin burnt off their feet for being on concrete and that scared us. As for the rest, whatever works for you and your family, I would never knock other parents methods as I don't walk in their shoes (no pun intended!).:)

Reactions: terri

View attachment 7318

Key Takeaways

we used to eat sand etc when we were kids, we also used to go barefoot, I can't see anything "wrong" with the way she's handling the kids BUT (and that's a big but)) I don't like seeing anyone (young or older , male or female) walking around barefoot in food areas whether in supermarkets or cafes, I think people should have some kind of footwear , but that's my opinion and "pet hate".

Gotta love helicopter parenting, hover over their little darlings because heaven forbid that they should act like children, so what do they do? Put them in front of a computer and let them entertain themselves and become human robots without the ability to think for themselves.
My parents used to give us a little glass of wine and water at dinner, reason being red wine was good for the blood. Anybody with Italian parent most probably have had the same. Only yesterday my husband and I were have a similar discussion about some of the things we got up to as kid. I was saying that we loved skateboarding of riding our bikes down steep streets, I remember once the chain broke on my bike and I come off almost killed my self ( well not really) had a lot of scratches.
When I got home there was no drama from my parents, apparently if I was stupid enough to ride down a steep road it was all on me. Then my farther made me fix the chain on the bike, yes girls and boys used to tinker with their bike and coils fix chains, replace pedals and seats, fix puncture’s.
What this mother is doing is brilliant, there are not too many baby boomers that grew up with allergies, and yet today children's school lunches are monitored for things like peanut butter and so forth. Maybe if children ate more sand and dirt, went down the shops without shoes, played out doors, and drank a milk diluted coffee they would be a lot healthier.

Reactions: Bunyip57 and Ricci

View attachment 7318

Key Takeaways

Absobloodylutely, keeping them safe from "everything" means that their immune system does NOT develop the antibodies to defend themselves against whatever may come... Some parents are just too bloody stupid and end up letting their offspring become COTTON WOOL children "Allergic to the world"....

Reactions: Bunyip57 and Ricci