Is it gross or totally normal? This woman's toilet question has the internet divided

There's nothing we love more than a good holiday – it's one of the best ways to relax, recharge, and see some new sights!

However, we also know that travelling can be stressful. Whether it's worrying about getting to your destination on time or dealing with jet lag upon arrival, there are always potential hiccups that can put a damper on things.

Even if your journey goes smoothly and you end up at a beautiful hotel with everything you could possibly want – like one of our team members did on her recent trip to South Korea – there's always the chance you might find something that rubs you the wrong way.

That was certainly the case for one female traveller who recently took issue with her hotel room toilet door, saying it lacked privacy and made her feel self-conscious about using the restroom while her husband was in the room with her.

syeZieZcCJOe-5pENbKBzcmSudC_Zr7pxNm3cJNUm4T9yklGZGcnaYnUXp4Iz00ueWONWIC27xhSlxuSxrzoG_6yr8ltxDFhuUvz7pU126Q33Jo18gKf_uauNTog2GKXbcUzGjX0PilCWuAxvN4UQsL8qDG6nXH_DTEfGGxNLTrSTXkt_fnoZ-If

The door offers little privacy because of the huge gap around the frame. Credit: News.com.au.

In an anonymous post on the UK forum website Mumsnet, the woman shared a photo showing how much space there was around all four sides of the door frame through which she could clearly see out into the rest of the room – not ideal when you're trying to do your business in peace!

It made her uneasy to think that her husband could have unwillingly overheard all that happened in the bathroom while he was in the same room with her. 'Staying seven nights with my dear husband in a four-star hotel in Mallorca, Spain,' she wrote in her post.

'We may be married, but I don't feel comfortable doing my business in this toilet while he is in the room,' she went on to say. So, she asked fellow forum members because she wanted to know if this sort of thing is just standard in hotels abroad or if she had every right to feel weirded out by it.

Much to the woman's disappointment, though, most users who responded to her post said they didn't see what the big deal was.

'You are married, and you can't go to the toilet because your husband might hear? Honestly, I can't see the issue,' one person wrote in the replies, with a second user adding, 'I'm sure he won't spy on you having a wee.'

Thankfully, there were still a few people who were kind and quick to offer tips and advice to make her feel less self-conscious while doing her business in the rather 'open' bathroom.

'Ask him to put some music on or something,' said one user. 'It is a bit like announcing the arrival of your poo, but it might help you relax.'

Members, what are your thoughts? What would you do if you were in her situation? Also, have you ever experienced anything similar - staying in a hotel room where you felt uncomfortable using the bathroom? Share them with us in the comments!

Sponsored
She is lucky this is her husband. I would be concerned if l was on vacation with a friend & were sharing the same room. Could be embarrassing then.
Many public toilets have a big gap around the door & big gap under, as we know. How does she feel about using these?

Reactions: Thecla
There are natural body functions that every adult understands. She is with her husband so I am somewhat puzzled by her concerns. If she had just started to go out with someone, then maybe there could be some hesitation. A non-event from my perspective.

Reactions: Thecla and Ezzy