Is it ever okay to name your child after a friend’s stillborn baby?

When a Redditor’s wife found out they were expecting, the couple were overjoyed. Even more excitingly, they soon discovered that their closest friends, who were also expecting, had independently chosen the same name for their unborn son.

Both couples had decided to name their sons ‘Jacob’, but they agreed that one couple would nickname their 'Jacob', 'Jake', and the other would nickname there's 'Jack'. But tragedy struck when their friends' son was stillborn.

qmf4JqSIpcBHXHi_EKxq2hBHh8uidMbIJQGhw7PCEFGPdqyvCUzqzo_nolqlTfeEkYPS7-anfyy5Fu65QHlDKx6gbhOw_RsgPUaCsT8ZtctgIttnAhQQsBbcW3ACR575pM33-JFoIBPF1_zrRA

The OP thinks that keeping the same name is inappropriate. Image Credit: Shuttershock

Now, the original poster’s (OP) wife wants to keep the name 'Jacob' and even call their son 'Jack', instead of the originally planned nickname 'Jake', in honour of still born baby Jacob or 'Jack'.

But the OP doesn't think it's appropriate and says it would be in poor taste. They say their wife is being shortsighted and self-centered and that their baby could never be a replacement for their friends' stillborn son.

Others argue that it's not just the name that will be difficult for their friends to deal with, but being around babies in general. They reinforced this stand by saying the user’s wife is being insensitive and that they should choose an entirely different name, or at least compromise by sticking with the original plan of naming their son ‘Jake’...

“If your wife decides to nickname your baby Jack after Tim and Tessas stillborn, she can consider that friendship over."

"How horribly shortsighted and self-centred of her. Your baby is NOT a replacement for theirs and they will not see it “as an honour”. Your baby “Jack” would have been about the same age as their baby, it would be nothing but a torturous reminder of what could have been."

"It’s one thing to keep the original name Jacob, but to switch your baby’s nickname from Jake to Jack is cruel and your wife is deliberately being obtuse if she can’t see that”, said one Redditor.

“I think it's crazy that someone would name their child after someone else's dead child (even just the nickname) without asking the parents!” another user added.

Some say that the OP is being unreasonable and that their wife is just trying to bond with their unborn son.

"YTA (You’re the a-hole). It's tragic that they lost their baby, but you pointed out that it's a common name where you live. Are they going to be upset every single time they encounter a child with that name? Also, your wife's wishes should come before theirs,", said one.

“So you are willing to end your relationship by breaking an agreement you made with your wife, and faulting her for not accepting that?"

"YOU are the AH here. So these two friends are more important to you than your own marriage and your own family - She is better off without you”, echoed another.

AcywKMov051dqe3IT9dnuQJeij0lHufl5y79NBzY0Q6ELbsb67qTQi2GI1OF2WaFiOcdeH-TADyrRCYlxi-xTUczHVxgvrmOXA6H7ZAqQBRaO1EeCnKEOUcrkIpjb8uKmpLpjqfj0wLtWINEtA

Several users expressed varying opinions about the couple's dilemma. Image Credit: Shuttershock

Others said that both the OP and his wife were being difficult, but for different reasons.

"ESH (Everybody sucks here).

Your wife sees this baby as Jake. Not just "the baby" or whatever. She's bonded with him as Jake. YTA for not recognizing that.

Your wife sucks for wanting to use the nickname your friends chose for their baby. That's mean."

On the other hand, some people think that neither the OP nor his wife is being unreasonable in this case, saying that their friends would have countless reminders of what could have been either way.

"Being around babies, in general, will be gut-wrenching for them. Talking about babies, seeing babies, etc. They won't be able to escape it - in their minds babies will be everywhere. You are unfortunately going to be a constant reminder to them once your son is born. You can't change that, and you can't not be happy about having your first child. They will likely keep their distance from you for a while and that's okay. They have a lot to work through, and your son will just be a reminder of their tragedy. I think if you name the baby Jacob but call him Jake that'd be a good compromise. If you can get your wife to reconsider and maybe make Jacob the middle name, even better. Neither of you is the AH."

What do you think? Should the user’s wife name their son Jacob? Or is that in poor taste? Were both of them being unreasonable? Or are both of them coming from reasonable directions? Let us know in the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Is it ever okay to name your child after a friend’s stillborn baby?

When a Redditor’s wife found out they were expecting, the couple were overjoyed. Even more excitingly, they soon discovered that their closest friends, who were also expecting, had independently chosen the same name for their unborn son.

Both couples had decided to name their sons ‘Jacob’, but they agreed that one couple would nickname their 'Jacob', 'Jake', and the other would nickname there's 'Jack'. But tragedy struck when their friends' son was stillborn.

qmf4JqSIpcBHXHi_EKxq2hBHh8uidMbIJQGhw7PCEFGPdqyvCUzqzo_nolqlTfeEkYPS7-anfyy5Fu65QHlDKx6gbhOw_RsgPUaCsT8ZtctgIttnAhQQsBbcW3ACR575pM33-JFoIBPF1_zrRA

The OP thinks that keeping the same name is inappropriate. Image Credit: Shuttershock

Now, the original poster’s (OP) wife wants to keep the name 'Jacob' and even call their son 'Jack', instead of the originally planned nickname 'Jake', in honour of still born baby Jacob or 'Jack'.

But the OP doesn't think it's appropriate and says it would be in poor taste. They say their wife is being shortsighted and self-centered and that their baby could never be a replacement for their friends' stillborn son.

Others argue that it's not just the name that will be difficult for their friends to deal with, but being around babies in general. They reinforced this stand by saying the user’s wife is being insensitive and that they should choose an entirely different name, or at least compromise by sticking with the original plan of naming their son ‘Jake’...

“If your wife decides to nickname your baby Jack after Tim and Tessas stillborn, she can consider that friendship over."

"How horribly shortsighted and self-centred of her. Your baby is NOT a replacement for theirs and they will not see it “as an honour”. Your baby “Jack” would have been about the same age as their baby, it would be nothing but a torturous reminder of what could have been."

"It’s one thing to keep the original name Jacob, but to switch your baby’s nickname from Jake to Jack is cruel and your wife is deliberately being obtuse if she can’t see that”, said one Redditor.

“I think it's crazy that someone would name their child after someone else's dead child (even just the nickname) without asking the parents!” another user added.

Some say that the OP is being unreasonable and that their wife is just trying to bond with their unborn son.

"YTA (You’re the a-hole). It's tragic that they lost their baby, but you pointed out that it's a common name where you live. Are they going to be upset every single time they encounter a child with that name? Also, your wife's wishes should come before theirs,", said one.

“So you are willing to end your relationship by breaking an agreement you made with your wife, and faulting her for not accepting that?"

"YOU are the AH here. So these two friends are more important to you than your own marriage and your own family - She is better off without you”, echoed another.

AcywKMov051dqe3IT9dnuQJeij0lHufl5y79NBzY0Q6ELbsb67qTQi2GI1OF2WaFiOcdeH-TADyrRCYlxi-xTUczHVxgvrmOXA6H7ZAqQBRaO1EeCnKEOUcrkIpjb8uKmpLpjqfj0wLtWINEtA

Several users expressed varying opinions about the couple's dilemma. Image Credit: Shuttershock

Others said that both the OP and his wife were being difficult, but for different reasons.

"ESH (Everybody sucks here).

Your wife sees this baby as Jake. Not just "the baby" or whatever. She's bonded with him as Jake. YTA for not recognizing that.

Your wife sucks for wanting to use the nickname your friends chose for their baby. That's mean."

On the other hand, some people think that neither the OP nor his wife is being unreasonable in this case, saying that their friends would have countless reminders of what could have been either way.

"Being around babies, in general, will be gut-wrenching for them. Talking about babies, seeing babies, etc. They won't be able to escape it - in their minds babies will be everywhere. You are unfortunately going to be a constant reminder to them once your son is born. You can't change that, and you can't not be happy about having your first child. They will likely keep their distance from you for a while and that's okay. They have a lot to work through, and your son will just be a reminder of their tragedy. I think if you name the baby Jacob but call him Jake that'd be a good compromise. If you can get your wife to reconsider and maybe make Jacob the middle name, even better. Neither of you is the AH."

What do you think? Should the user’s wife name their son Jacob? Or is that in poor taste? Were both of them being unreasonable? Or are both of them coming from reasonable directions? Let us know in the comments.
Why would you want as a close friend to remind a mother of her stillborn. If you want to still go ahead with the name why not discuss it with your friend and see how she feels on the subject, it may help you with your final decision🤔

Reactions: terri
My friends daughter gave birth to a little girl and when she was telling me about it she told me the name they had chosen. I must have given a moments pause as she asked what was wrong. I said that was the name of our daughter that we lost to cot death. They were mortified but it's over 40 years ago we lost her, in the interim years there must have been literally millions of babies with the same name, it's just that I never knew them. The pain never goes away, you just learn how to live with it. I don't know how I would have felt if it had happened almost immediately but I doubt I would have been able to be around them.:(

A few years ago, we lost a grandchild with a beautiful name (I won’t reveal). She was so beautiful but only lived a few months. Recently a son of my best friend told me they were giving their child the same beautiful name. This name was not given for any other reason than they loved the name and didn’t think about our situation. This is a secret love to us that our gorgeous granddaughter lives on anytime we see our friends

when I lost my son a very good friend of mine came to stay with me for a few weeks. she told me that - as my son was so close to her and her family - she told her family in Senegal. The first boy born after my son's death in her village would be named after my son as this was the custom. I was so happy and felt honored, and if that child would have been closer I woukd have wanted to be part of his life.
So in their case I would actually ask them if they would like to become Jacob's god parents.

Reactions: 68autobug and Ricci
This is a very delicate situation. I think if they ask the other parents they will say yes even if it hurts them. My friend and I each had a baby boy one week apart. Sadly, her baby was stillborn. Unfortunately that was the end of our friendship. She could not bear to be around our son. I would choose a totally different name.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
As a middle maybe to honor the friend's stillborn son but only after consultation with the friend and her partner. I gave my daughter the middle name of a friend's child who passed away a few mths before my child was born BUT I did ask her permission first. My daughter then went on to give her daughter the same middle name.

Reactions: Ricci