Is consistent sex enough? Survey reveals 'truth' about 'happy' couples

What is the key to a successful long-term relationship?

Is it the l number of times you share a bed each month? Or is it something much simpler, like having fun together or coming to compromises?

If you’ve ever found yourself wondering what really makes a partnership tick, you’re not alone!

An interesting survey by UK streaming service ITVX polled 2,000 British couples in long-term and happy relationships, and found that couples who'd been together for at least ten years were having an average of seven intimate sessions a month.

SDC Images (10).png
A survey done in the UK said that long-term and happy couples have at least 7 intimate sessions in a month. Image source: wayhomestudio on Freepik.

This figure appears to be a popular sweet spot for the interviewed couples, as hitting the lucky number reportedly contributes to a successful partnership.

But surprisingly, even though the average couple said they believed regular sex was important in their relationship, five per cent of them reported sleeping in separate bedrooms. And 20 per cent admitted to having cheated on their partner—of those, over half were caught unfaithful.

However, 85 per cent of these couples reported that their relationship still went on after the incident, and 38 per cent said their relationship became stronger as a result.

But for these couples, making love isn't quite the most important thing for them to have a successful and lasting relationship.

The poll revealed that the most crucial factor for a happy union is ‘having fun together’ followed by ‘willingness to compromise', ‘having no secrets', and ‘sharing the same sense of humour’.

The survey was done before the premiere of the series Love & Death, which is set to stream on ITVX in the UK, and one of several researches looking to identify important factors in relationships.

Another study published in the SAGE Journal of Social and Personal Relationships revealed that men in heterosexual relationships tend to say ‘I love you' first.

Out of the seven regions studied in the research, men from six of those regions were more likely to express their love first.

And on average, men confessed their love 69 days into a relationship, while women would only think about it 77 days in.

It’s important to note that these surveys don’t come with any guarantees, and our own relationships are complex as many factors are at play. There truly is no one-size-fits-all solution to a successful long-term relationship.
Key Takeaways
  • A new survey of 2000 British couples in long-term relationships has determined they have sex seven times a month on average.
  • The survey found that most couples did not believe sex was the most definitive part of their relationship. Instead, 'having fun together' was considered the key factor, among others, in maintaining their partnership.
  • Moreover, 85 per cent of couples surveyed were able to stay together after infidelity, with 38 per cent even stating that an affair strengthened their relationship.
  • A separate study found that men in heterosexual relationships tend to say 'I love you' first. On average, men considered expressing love 69 days into the relationship, while women didn't think about it until 77 days in.
What do you think about the results, dear members? In your own opinion, what is the most crucial factor for a happy and long-lasting relationship? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Knowing who your partner is, and knowing who you are.
I believe this is the key to a fulfilled and loving lasting marriage, or {union}.
Sex is important as is any other thing or order in life.
But the first line of this paragraph is "in my opinion of paramount importance...
If you don't know her and She doesn't know you inside and out
You and She are doomed to failure...
50 years of LOVE, FUN, LAUGHS, ROWS and wonderful you know what I mean.
Would not trade it for any amount of money!!!
Can't wait for the next 50 years.

I believe this is the key to a fulfilled and loving lasting marriage, or {union}.
But the first line of this paragraph is "in my opinion of paramount importance...
It might sound a bit cliche, but how do you 'keep the magic alive'? :O

"WOW" I can't believe there could be so many people not willing to talk about their relationship with the oppo sex, What is the matter with this world??? We are here to help and talk to other people in this forum to try and help whomever. Why are people shunning topics about intimacy? for Christ's sake you been at it for years!!
if you have tips or suggestions then SHARE THE BLOODY THINGS
I have been married for 50 years and still enjoy a wild sex life!!!Am I the only one to share this topic!! apparently so , SAD SO VERY SAD

"A survey done in the UK said that long-term and happy couples have at least 7 intimate sessions in a month"

Is that all? Just 7 times a month? We're doing way much better than that.

I believe you need to make your happiness.
You need to trust your partner and share your feelings .
I believe date nights are so important, even when we had young kids we would do a date night once a month and if we couldn't go out then we would have a romantic dinner when the kids went to bed .

We had a great sex life and very adventurous up to 3 years ago we did it at least 4 nights aweek plus some days we got some afternoon delight., sadly it's not good ATM due to hubby having high blood pressure and diabetes. He won't talk to the doctor. And with his blood pressure I will not chance getting him over excited
We now have seperate Bedrooms but that's because I need my space.

Marriage and a great relationship needs alot of work. You need to keep the fire going

I have told my daughters , keep their hubby's happy. Be adventurous try new things, don't be scared to initiate it.

I feel in the beginning honesty and trust is important but so is intimacy as you get older both of these are still important but so is companionship

I have a lot of friends and older workmates who no longer share a bedroom for various different reasons. I’m sure this must have a negative impact on their sex lives. Hubby and I still love to share the same bed and can’t imagine ever having separate rooms. We have always enjoyed a great sex life, not always confining these activities to the bedroom. Some of the places we got up to a bit of hanky panky are now well out of our current capabilities but boy the memories are good. We also really enjoy each other’s company and even though our fiery all burning love and desire for each other has mellowed into a calmer deep love and desire over the 50 years we have been together we still enjoy a regular romp, usually confined to the bedroom now the aches and pains of getting older are slowing us down. I’m sure one day things will change from how they are now but boy we will have some wonderful memories to reminisce about together.