Is Coles ripping you off? See how this new recycling scheme impacts shoppers

Times are tough, and shoppers across the country have become increasingly frustrated after seeing countless price hikes on essential grocery staples.

This is particularly true for some Coles shoppers in Victoria, who are now facing an additional burden with the expected 'new price increase' on various products.

Recently, a shopper reported the introduction of an unexpected price hike in many popular items at their local Coles, including bottles, cans, and cartons.

The sign, which was uploaded to social media by a disgruntled shopper, read:

‘Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme (CDS Vic) commenced on 1 November 2023. This has resulted in price increases coming into effect on a number of bottle, can and carton products we stock.’

78aa0bd0-819e-11ee-beed-53df51f3892c.png
Victoria's new container deposit scheme prompts supermarket price increases. Image source: Reddit

‘CDS Vic rewards Victorians with a 10-cent refund for every eligible bottle, can and carton they return to a refund point.’

This initiative is a key component of the broader efforts to transform Victoria's waste and recycling system.

CDS Vic aims for better recycling, reducing waste, up to 50 per cent less litter, job creation, economic opportunities across the state, fundraising for various organisations, and an overall cleaner, greener state.

395501421_864517665676359_2804640550980021684_n.jpg
A reverse vending machine was installed on 30 October at Mitre 10 in Bayswater for Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme. Image source: Facebook/VisyForABetterWorld

However, it may be shoppers who end up missing out in the long run.

Some have voiced frustration about the scheme's influence on drink prices, feeling penalised for recycling at home, especially as beverage prices are on the rise. Read the full story here.

On the other hand, many shoppers argued that the same process is ‘pointless’ and had taken place in other states with return-and-earn programs.

Others felt strongly that Coles and producers were trying to 'monetise every scenario available' and reap the benefits without rewarding customers in return.

One angered shopper wrote, ‘Government gives 10c back, stores increase price by more than 10c. It's a f****ing cartel pretending to be a supermarket.’

Another said: ‘This was highly predictable. It undoes the benefit to the customer unless the customer jumps through extra hurdles to recoup the cost.’

‘This has always been the case in other states too, the extra [cost] is to facilitate the scheme itself, it costs money to run, big surprise!’ added a third.

What counts_.jpg
Here are items eligible for Victoria’s Container Deposit Scheme. Image source: Facebook/visyexchange

‘But that’s why I’ve always thought it’s s***id; just throw your cans in the recycling and skip this unnecessary extra step.’

The same shopper then proceeded to propose that while some may find it challenging to look beyond the higher costs at the checkout, in the grand scheme, it could foster increased recycling.

‘Unfortunately, some people don’t put their recycling in the right bin, so this helps with that," they added. ‘But if we could all just do the right thing, this whole thing would be pointless.’

Victoria joins other states in implementing a container deposit scheme, following South Australia (1977), NSW (2017), Queensland (2018), and Western Australia (2020).

‘Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme is funded by the beverage industry,’ a Victorian government spokesperson explained before. ‘It will reduce litter by up to half and contribute to the circular economy through increased recycling.’

It is understood that the government anticipates that beverage producers will transfer the operational cost of the CDS to shoppers, potentially leading to increased drink prices in Victoria.

Key Takeaways

• Coles shoppers in Victoria are upset over price increases on bottle, can and carton products due to the implementation of the state's Container Deposit Scheme (CDS Vic).
  • The scheme, which started on 1 November 2023, rewards Victorians with a 10-cent refund for every eligible bottle, can, and carton they return to a refund point.
  • Some shoppers are calling the scheme 'pointless', arguing that it simply results in stores increasing prices by more than the refund value, while others suggest it might encourage more diligent recycling.
  • The Victorian government has suggested that the cost of running the CDS will be passed on to shoppers by beverage producers.
Members, how do you feel about this new recycling scheme, especially amid recent price increases and rising inflation? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
People may complain about the increase the cost of recycleable cans and plastic bottles, in 2017 a slab of water increased to $9 in NSW but Victoria it remained at $6.40.
It may cost 10 cents more a can now in the Supermarket but if you do the right think and recycle it you get it back and the can ends up in the right place and not the tip - some people just have complain about everything

Reactions: Ricci
Times are tough, and shoppers across the country have become increasingly frustrated after seeing countless price hikes on essential grocery staples.

This is particularly true for some Coles shoppers in Victoria, who are now facing an additional burden with the expected 'new price increase' on various products.

Recently, a shopper reported the introduction of an unexpected price hike in many popular items at their local Coles, including bottles, cans, and cartons.

The sign, which was uploaded to social media by a disgruntled shopper, read:

‘Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme (CDS Vic) commenced on 1 November 2023. This has resulted in price increases coming into effect on a number of bottle, can and carton products we stock.’

View attachment 34505
Victoria's new container deposit scheme prompts supermarket price increases. Image source: Reddit

‘CDS Vic rewards Victorians with a 10-cent refund for every eligible bottle, can and carton they return to a refund point.’

This initiative is a key component of the broader efforts to transform Victoria's waste and recycling system.

CDS Vic aims for better recycling, reducing waste, up to 50 per cent less litter, job creation, economic opportunities across the state, fundraising for various organisations, and an overall cleaner, greener state.

View attachment 34506
A reverse vending machine was installed on 30 October at Mitre 10 in Bayswater for Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme. Image source: Facebook/VisyForABetterWorld

However, it may be shoppers who end up missing out in the long run.

Some have voiced frustration about the scheme's influence on drink prices, feeling penalised for recycling at home, especially as beverage prices are on the rise. Read the full story here.

On the other hand, many shoppers argued that the same process is ‘pointless’ and had taken place in other states with return-and-earn programs.

Others felt strongly that Coles and producers were trying to 'monetise every scenario available' and reap the benefits without rewarding customers in return.

One angered shopper wrote, ‘Government gives 10c back, stores increase price by more than 10c. It's a f****ing cartel pretending to be a supermarket.’

Another said: ‘This was highly predictable. It undoes the benefit to the customer unless the customer jumps through extra hurdles to recoup the cost.’

‘This has always been the case in other states too, the extra [cost] is to facilitate the scheme itself, it costs money to run, big surprise!’ added a third.

View attachment 34507
Here are items eligible for Victoria’s Container Deposit Scheme. Image source: Facebook/visyexchange

‘But that’s why I’ve always thought it’s s***id; just throw your cans in the recycling and skip this unnecessary extra step.’

The same shopper then proceeded to propose that while some may find it challenging to look beyond the higher costs at the checkout, in the grand scheme, it could foster increased recycling.

‘Unfortunately, some people don’t put their recycling in the right bin, so this helps with that," they added. ‘But if we could all just do the right thing, this whole thing would be pointless.’

Victoria joins other states in implementing a container deposit scheme, following South Australia (1977), NSW (2017), Queensland (2018), and Western Australia (2020).

‘Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme is funded by the beverage industry,’ a Victorian government spokesperson explained before. ‘It will reduce litter by up to half and contribute to the circular economy through increased recycling.’

It is understood that the government anticipates that beverage producers will transfer the operational cost of the CDS to shoppers, potentially leading to increased drink prices in Victoria.

Key Takeaways

• Coles shoppers in Victoria are upset over price increases on bottle, can and carton products due to the implementation of the state's Container Deposit Scheme (CDS Vic).
  • The scheme, which started on 1 November 2023, rewards Victorians with a 10-cent refund for every eligible bottle, can, and carton they return to a refund point.
  • Some shoppers are calling the scheme 'pointless', arguing that it simply results in stores increasing prices by more than the refund value, while others suggest it might encourage more diligent recycling.
  • The Victorian government has suggested that the cost of running the CDS will be passed on to shoppers by beverage producers.
Members, how do you feel about this new recycling scheme, especially amid recent price increases and rising inflation? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
A system to clean up the environment/recycling and the consumers are paying for it go back to glass rewashed and reused time and time again that's proper recycling ♻️ as a kid paperbags for groceries then the plastic bags 🎒 save the world 🌎 tree's now 60 plus year's its gone full circle plastic out paper in 🙄🤔hmmmm what's next for the human race

Reactions: Ricci and Reaper123
The problem now is that the prices are going up more than 10 cents per container. My usual bottle of drink went up 25 cents. I get 10 cents and Coles gets the rest.

Reactions: Spondy
Just be thankful you have a recycling option. ALL of our collected rubbish goes to landfill. 😠We are required separate it into wet waste and dry waste, but they both get collected by the same truck at the same time. Apparently it is a dual bin truck.🤔
Almost seems illegal not to have curbside recycling.
I use the container return scheme and now in Qld they accept wine bottles too👍.
Only cardboard can be taken to the transfer station and I don't even know what happens to it from there.
Anything else is dumped. 💩

What a rorte! I work in a not for profit company in WA that does containers for change. I can clarify that even though the customer gets 10 cents for their container, the company is not doing out of the goodness of there heart. They also get paid at least 6c per container for being a collection point. They don’t do anything unless they make money from it. It’s ALL about the profit. Stuff it up for these money hungry mongrels and take your containers to charities, your local scouts or junior sports clubs or just kids in the neighbourhood trying to be enterprising.
Oh, and buy your drinks etc from a non collection supermarket. Power to the people🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘✊✊✊

Reactions: GillyH
My mum is 100 and I am 75. i try to recycle but have not time to go to stations to redeem. Why can we not go back to the scouts and other organisations coming round to collect like they used to do.

My mum is 100 and I am 75. i try to recycle but have not time to go to stations to redeem. Why can we not go back to the scouts and other organisations coming round to collect like they used to do.
I belong to a local community site, one young member in my suburbs collects for Parkinsons research, her Mum has it. They collect from a few of us every fortnight.

People may complain about the increase the cost of recycleable cans and plastic bottles, in 2017 a slab of water increased to $9 in NSW but Victoria it remained at $6.40.
It may cost 10 cents more a can now in the Supermarket but if you do the right think and recycle it you get it back and the can ends up in the right place and not the tip - some people just have complain about everything
A slab of water at Coles in VIC is now
9.50 from 6.40 😐fyi. And I quickly rinse out the recyclable cans and bottles first before storing so that they don’t attract roaches and pests since I do let them accumulate a bit before sending to the centres - so thats a and increase in use of water - not to mention the petrol cost increase to get to these centres periodically for every household. I believe most were doing the right thing in the first place, and putting our recycling in the correct bin for Council collection. So it does seem a bit of extortion for them to collect the money for the containers upfront now - presumably for the good of reducing our carbon footprint - yet here we are using more water and petrol to claim back our cash, which has already depreciated thanks to these extra spends. Surely the collection trucks were more efficient in this respect ? Thats not even mentioning the cost of time we spend in line to redeem, on the weekends, when we could be doing other things.. Harsh punishment for all thanks to the few who
were doing the wrong thing (presumably). What about people who live in flats and apartments not close to a centre..? Struggling to find space to store their recyclables and dragging them into lifts and onto the bus to redeem their precious refunds, however meager, as a few dollars here and there is precious

Last edited: