Is Australia Post about to cause this family to lose access to dad's will?

Losing a loved one is very difficult and heartbreaking, but imagine how much worse it would be if you were unable to access their will because an important document was lost in the mail. For many, a will is a final way to hear from your loved one and honour their wishes.

Sadly, that's the grim reality facing one family whose dad passed away in Vietnam in late August. Because his will was created in Australia, the death certificate had to be posted over from Vietnam so that the family could begin organising his affairs.

You would think that forking out $40 for a registered express post would guarantee a quick and secure delivery of such an important document, but Sean – the man's son who is based in Japan – says he has been left ‘dumbfounded’ after Australia Post lost his dad's death certificate in transit.

Their grieving family’s ordeal began when Sean sent his sister Sarah their dad’s death certificate on September 13 from Japan to Sydney to start proceedings for the departed’s will.

All was well — or so Sean thought.

Screenshot_1.jpg
Sean’s sister never received their father’s death certificate. Credit: YouTube/Australia Post

You see, the certificate’s tracking history with Australia Post said it arrived a week later on the 20th, but Sarah never received a package.

As anyone would do, they inquired about the whereabouts of the package by email.

It was all for nothing, because Sean and Sarah were eventually told that Australia Post had exhausted all options and decided to deem the vital certificate ‘lost in transit’.

The company then offered him a $100 compensation and recommended he submit a claim through Japan Post.

The brother and sister pair were also told in another email that the case would be closed as it was ‘finalised’.

With a lot counting on the document, Sean and Sarah were stunned at Australia Post’s apparent disregard for the problem.

‘I literally did everything correctly, I paid the expensive fee and got it tracked. I’m really disappointed as well because they really tried to give us the runaround,’ Sean said.

It made a difficult time even worse as he had to personally travel to Vietnam to get a copy of the death certificate while grieving his father’s death.

‘[N]ot only did I do it all right, but to have (Australia Post) just be like, “I don’t know, it’s lost”, is really frustrating,’ he added.

On top of everything happening, Sean is also worried about what will happen if they are unable to access his dad's will without the death certificate.

aenfojbafg;ajb.png
Sean and Sarah were told eventually that AusPost had done all it can to locate the missing certificate and offered compensation. Credit: news.com.au

‘We now have to worry about my stepmother not having enough money, and of course, that money would have helped my sister who has two kids and a house.’ he said.

‘Of course, it’s not about the money, but on top of my dad dying, it also feels like “oh, by the way, you’re not going to get your inheritance because AusPost lost something in the mail”.’

He’s also left seething at Australia Post’s failure to do its role.

‘I can’t believe it really. It’s like, you have one job. It’s the express registered post, that’s the whole point of it, and if they lose that, then what are they doing with all your normal post?’ he said.

‘It boggles my mind. I’m just so shocked that it even could occur, and their response – you could tell that they just don’t care at all.’

Aside from anger, all Sean feels now is regret.

‘[T]he reason I sent it in the express post was because I trusted Australia Post, but I guess I was wrong, unfortunately.’

Meanwhile, Australia Post confirmed that they lost the death certificate in question and issued an apology to Sean and his family.

A spokesperson also said they have reached out anew to the grieving family to see what more could be done on Australia Post’s end.

Well, let's hope they can resolve this issue soon.

Key Takeaways

• A family may lose access to their dad's will after Australia Post lost his death certificate.
  • The family is concerned they will not be able to access the will without the death certificate.
  • Australia Post has apologized for losing the certificate and is reaching out to the family to see how they can provide further support.
Speaking of delivery-related frustrations, be sure to check out this story if you’ve ever been a victim of ‘carding’ by AusPost or other couriers’ delivery drivers — you just might be eligible for $3000 in compensation!

So, what is your reaction to this delivery blunder? What would you have done if you were in Sean’s place?

Tell us your thoughts and reactions below!

Source: YouTube/Australia Post

Sponsored
I feel for this family. Usually Australia Post is fairly reliable. I have recently had the experience with Star Track of them losing two parcels sent to me. They wouldn't let me put a lost item claim in with them so I went to the seller who had to do it. I always leave clear instructions on how to get into my unit but to lose two parcels from the same company by Star Track has infuriated me. Not to the same extent that this family would be so upset. I am tired of having to pay express post to try and guarantee an item will arrive at the destination. Come on Australia Post and associates, please lift your game. :(

Whilst I feel for this family and hope they get some satisfaction and everything gets sorted out, why would you send such an important document without having a certified copy? The first thing I do with any important documents is to get half a dozen certified copies, that way I can keep the original with me always.;)

Losing a loved one is very difficult and heartbreaking, but imagine how much worse it would be if you were unable to access their will because an important document was lost in the mail. For many, a will is a final way to hear from your loved one and honour their wishes.

Sadly, that's the grim reality facing one family whose dad passed away in Vietnam in late August. Because his will was created in Australia, the death certificate had to be posted over from Vietnam so that the family could begin organising his affairs.

You would think that forking out $40 for a registered express post would guarantee a quick and secure delivery of such an important document, but Sean – the man's son who is based in Japan – says he has been left ‘dumbfounded’ after Australia Post lost his dad's death certificate in transit.

Their grieving family’s ordeal began when Sean sent his sister Sarah their dad’s death certificate on September 13 from Japan to Sydney to start proceedings for the departed’s will.

View attachment 8230
Sean’s sister never received their father’s death certificate. Credit: YouTube/Australia Post

You see, the certificate’s tracking history with Australia Post said it arrived a week later on the 20th, but Sarah never received a package.

As anyone would do, they inquired about the whereabouts of the package by email.

It was all for nothing, because Sean and Sarah were eventually told that Australia Post had exhausted all options and decided to deem the vital certificate ‘lost in transit’.

The company then offered him a $100 compensation and recommended he submit a claim through Japan Post.

The brother and sister pair were also told in another email that the case would be closed as it was ‘finalised’.

With a lot counting on the document, Sean and Sarah were stunned at Australia Post’s apparent disregard for the problem.

‘I literally did everything correctly, I paid the expensive fee and got it tracked. I’m really disappointed as well because they really tried to give us the runaround,’ Sean said.

It made a difficult time even worse as he had to personally travel to Vietnam to get a copy of the death certificate while grieving his father’s death.

‘[N]ot only did I do it all right, but to have (Australia Post) just be like, “I don’t know, it’s lost”, is really frustrating,’ he added.

On top of everything happening, Sean is also worried about what will happen if they are unable to access his dad's will without the death certificate.

View attachment 8231
Sean and Sarah were told eventually that AusPost had done all it can to locate the missing certificate and offered compensation. Credit: news.com.au

‘We now have to worry about my stepmother not having enough money, and of course, that money would have helped my sister who has two kids and a house.’ he said.

‘Of course, it’s not about the money, but on top of my dad dying, it also feels like “oh, by the way, you’re not going to get your inheritance because AusPost lost something in the mail”.’

‘I can’t believe it really. It’s like, you have one job. It’s the express registered post, that’s the whole point of it, and if they lose that, then what are they doing with all your normal post?’ he said.

‘It boggles my mind. I’m just so shocked that it even could occur, and their response – you could tell that they just don’t care at all.’

‘[T]he reason I sent it in the express post was because I trusted Australia Post, but I guess I was wrong, unfortunately.’

Meanwhile, Australia Post confirmed that they lost the death certificate in question and issued an apology to Sean and his family.

A spokesperson also said they have reached out anew to the grieving family to see what more could be done on Australia Post’s end.

Key Takeaways

• A family may lose access to their dad's will after Australia Post lost his death certificate.
  • The family is concerned they will not be able to access the will without the death certificate.
  • Australia Post has apologized for losing the certificate and is reaching out to the family to see how they can provide further support.
Speaking of delivery-related frustrations, be sure to check out this story if you’ve ever been a victim of ‘carding’ by AusPost or other couriers’ delivery drivers — you just might be eligible for $3000 in compensation!

So, what is your reaction to this delivery blunder? What would you have done if you were in Sean’s place?

Like everything these days all care and no responsibility, no one is willing to hold the ball and put their hand up and say we stuffed up.

View attachment 8230

View attachment 8231

Key Takeaways

I feel for this family. Usually Australia Post is fairly reliable. I have recently had the experience with Star Track of them losing two parcels sent to me. They wouldn't let me put a lost item claim in with them so I went to the seller who had to do it. I always leave clear instructions on how to get into my unit but to lose two parcels from the same company by Star Track has infuriated me. Not to the same extent that this family would be so upset. I am tired of having to pay express post to try and guarantee an item will arrive at the destination. Come on Australia Post and associates, please lift your game. :(
How can Aus Post lose an Express letter? A thorough investigation must happen.

View attachment 8230

View attachment 8231

Key Takeaways

You really don't want me to give my opinion trust me

We're lucky where we are, Australia post is still run by Australians, so many times that others have been involved with packages they say we can't find your address, and packages go missing, I tracked one down to an address in a nearby suburban house, I'd received his package and him, mine, another one was dropped to a convenience store in another suburb without notification, when I got in touch the driver said he didn't know what to do when he "couldn't find my house " so he dropped it to his cousins shop, " for safe keeping" the package was open ,but it was a spare part that was pretty much useless to anyone that didn't know what it was,if you get my drift. Everyone else has no trouble "finding my house. So many things go missing with carriers that I might start ordering off them instead of Ali Express or Amazon.

Had similar expexperience when i posted gift certificates (Qantas points redeem) to my grandies one Xmas, Aust Post didnt give a shit, nor did the company issuing the gift certificates. Fortunately (as i was struggling/broke) the seller was very kind & understanding & forked out the cost themselves (or their insurance did) to re-issue new certificates for my grandies so they didn't miss out.
There's either some dodgies (minority) who like the look of our parcels or they are leaving them where thieves can gain easy access- but we never seem to get an explanation either way!

View attachment 8230

View attachment 8231

Key Takeaways

I lost a parcel thanks to Auspost. The item was tracked and said delivered but I never received it. The parcel wasn't small either so what happened? Auspost said the item was investigated and deemed "LOST" so that was the end of the story.
My prayers go out to the family.

I used to use Australia Post for delivery through my business.
My goods were sent in super large royal blue bags,how anyone could misplace them was beyond me.
However my customer in Qld didn't receive them, a few months later Aust Post compensated me for them.
Voila!! Five months later the parcel turned up on my door step in WA, it had been in Tennant Creek ???? all that time.
Have never figured out how somebody didn't notice this enormous royal blue parcel just sitting around for all that time.
Go figure!!

View attachment 8230

View attachment 8231

Key Takeaways

I am at a loss to understand how this important piece of mail was displaced. According to AustPost this was received on Sept 20th, l would assume at the Delivery Centre. How was this receipt documented & by whom? In today's world this would have been a computerised record so worked that day & at that time? If this was received by the supposed receiver, wouldn't this have had to be signed for & who was the delivery person? Too many grey areas for me.

I too hope the family sorts this out to their satisfaction. Be nice if this did eventually arrive, & not 5 months later like the reader above.

If l was a sarcastic person l would possibly say people are being too unforgiving of AustPost. After all they did claim to have done an investigation & did give an apology, didn't they? For what is worth! "We apologize for the loss of your mail":- "This is a recording, recording, recording..........."

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Whilst I feel for this family and hope they get some satisfaction and everything gets sorted out, why would you send such an important document without having a certified copy? The first thing I do with any important documents is to get half a dozen certified copies, that way I can keep the original with me always.;)
Sensible to have certified copies, but sadly it would not necessarily solve the problem. Some government departments have become so enmeshed in bureaucratic red tape that they deem certified copies unacceptable, and insist on production of original documents. This has been done in the name of 'security'.

Reactions: Ricci
Sensible to have certified copies, but sadly it would not necessarily solve the problem. Some government departments have become so enmeshed in bureaucratic red tape that they deem certified copies unacceptable, and insist on production of original documents. This has been done in the name of 'security'.
I know this is off-topic but I endorse your comment regarding government departments and bureaucratic red tape. Recently I had to go to the local court house to conduct business on my invalid mother's behalf. I had to identify myself with three items of ID - they accepted my driver's licence, credit card and Medicare card. They would NOT accept my full, original birth certificate because...wait for it...it's too old! Yes, at the ripe of old age of 64, my birth certificate is "too old". Apparently the Registration Number on the original is no longer recognised under the government's current computerised records system! (Which explains why I had problems downloading the Service WA app for Covid-related purposes and why it kept rejecting my birth certificate registration number). Still shaking my head at the absurdity of our governmental regulations!