Interview gone wild? Expletive-laden discussions leave The Project hosts stunned

When tuning into a television program like The Project, viewers might expect lively discussions and occasional surprises.

However, a recent segment of the show left the hosts speechless as an interview with another journalist took an unexpected turn, leaving the audience both stunned and thoroughly entertained.

The show's segment with writer Vicky Xu was intended to be a light-hearted chat about panda diplomacy.

However, the talk about these cuddly creatures quickly devolved into a shocking display of candid opinions and colourful language.

Xu, known for her studies on China and her extensive writing on the ethnic group Uyghurs, did not hold back her thoughts on pandas—or, in this case, her choice of words.

Pandas, the black and white emblems of wildlife conservation, are often seen as gentle and docile.

'I think pandas are too lazy to f***, and that's why they're going extinct,' Ms Xu bluntly shared in the interview.

compressed-vicky xu.jpeg
Journalist Vicky Xu earned mixed reactions from viewers after her unexpected take on pandas and panda diplomacy in Australia. Image Credits: YouTube/The Project

This unexpected commentary was just the beginning of a series of expletives that left panellist Sam Taunton scrambling for a response and the rest of the hosts oscillating between shock and laughter.

'I think they deserve what they have coming for them,' she concluded.

Ms Xu's outburst was somewhat timely, as Chinese Premier Li Qiang had just visited Adelaide Zoo, home to pandas Wang Wang and Fu Ni.

With the pair set to return to China and promises of a new duo to take their place, the topic of panda diplomacy was ripe for discussion.

However, Ms Xu's dismissal of the practice and her preference for Australia's koalas over the 'giant, fat, not f****** pandas' was a stark departure from the usual diplomatic chatter.

The Project's presenters, including Sarah Harris, found themselves caught between professional composure and the infectious nature of the unexpected.

Online reactions were mixed; some viewers switched channels in disapproval, while others were amused and supported Ms Xu's bold take on the subject.

The Project has since labelled the interview 'the most brutal reaction to Australia getting two new Chinese pandas', a description that barely scratches the surface of its impact on live television.

Viewer Ann McMahon called Ms Xu a 'legend', and social media went abuzz with reactions to her stance on panda diplomacy and her preference for Australia's wildlife.

Watch the full interview here:

Source: The Project/YouTube

Vicky Xu took to social media to reflect on her day of interviews, saying, 'I did so many interviews today that I just exploded.'

This candid admission may shed light on the raw and unfiltered nature of her appearance on The Project.

Ms Xu's predicament is a reminder that live television can be unpredictable.

Topics of wildlife conservation and international diplomacy can evoke wild opinions.

While the language used may not be to everyone's taste, the discussion sparked a broader conversation about animal loan programs and the importance of preserving all species—whether they're as emblematic as the panda or as beloved as the koala.
Key Takeaways

• Journalist and writer Vicky Xu delivered an expletive-laden interview on The Project while discussing panda diplomacy practices.
  • She shared that pandas may go extinct due to their laziness in mating.
  • The unexpected language left the show's hosts and audience stunned; some viewers changed channels, while others found her frankness amusing.
  • The interview was labelled by The Project as 'the most brutal reaction to Australia getting two new Chinese pandas', stirring varied reactions from viewers.
We invite our readers to share their thoughts on this surprising interview. Do you think Vicky Xu's comments were out of line, or do you appreciate her frankness? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Why give this attention seeker and this lame show more publicity .

It is aimed at a much younger audience than us

Reactions: marni
Why give this attention seeker and this lame show more publicity .

It is aimed at a much younger audience than us
I have always enjoyed watching the project, I like the lightheartedness of their news of the day delivery , rather than the rather dry way that the latest news is delivered in regular "News" programs. I do not think of myself as being too old to watch the Project I am just myself who apparently is of pension age. We all have differing tastes with any TV programs that we we watch and we all enjoy things according to our personal tastes I do not believe that age is a factor in the type of program that we enjoy watching, I know some "Elder"people who still enjoy watching cartoons and other shows aimed at children, age is not a factor in what we enjoy we are all different and rightly so, I am sorry to disagree with your opinion on what someone of my age should be watching on the TV !!

I have always enjoyed watching the project, I like the lightheartedness of their news of the day delivery , rather than the rather dry way that the latest news is delivered in regular "News" programs. I do not think of myself as being too old to watch the Project I am just myself who apparently is of pension age. We all have differing tastes with any TV programs that we we watch and we all enjoy things according to our personal tastes I do not believe that age is a factor in the type of program that we enjoy watching, I know some "Elder"people who still enjoy watching cartoons and other shows aimed at children, age is not a factor in what we enjoy we are all different and rightly so, I am sorry to disagree with your opinion on what someone of my age should be watching on the TV !!
I don't watch Monday or Tuesday nights anymore - Steve Price and Kate {she who talks over everyone} annoy me, the rest of the week is fine

I don't watch Monday or Tuesday nights anymore - Steve Price and Kate {she who talks over everyone} annoy me, the rest of the week is fine
I agree Steve Price is a bigot and Kate Langbrock is way to fond of her own opinions on every thing and any thing, I usually tune them out on the days that they appear on the show but still enjoy listening to the other presenters.

Watching the video posted from The Project, I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Vicky Xu responded to the questions that were presented to her and asking for her views. It appears to me that she was being honest with her replies.

My guess is that The Project is wanting to get as much attention as possible in the hope against hope that the show won’t be axed.

'I think pandas are too lazy to f***, and that's why they're going extinct,' Ms Xu bluntly shared in the interview.
Oh! Should she have used the term "fornicate" instead?

Online reactions were mixed; some viewers switched channels in disapproval....

....over to SBS World Movies where "f**k" and "c**t" are used quite regularly. And don't forget the full frontal nudity! The world is full of prudes disguised as hypocrites still living in 1824. A certain arrangement of letters is oh-so naughty. How about F*****UCK, for example? Just an appliance to extinguish combustion. FIRETRUCK!

Last edited:
Yes I am taking myself off to see Despicable Me 4 this week even though my grandkids are now "too old" at 21 & 18/ Doesn't worry me to go to these movies by myself - I just love animated movies etc.

Yes I am taking myself off to see Despicable Me 4 this week even though my grandkids are now "too old" at 21 & 18/ Doesn't worry me to go to these movies by myself - I just love animated movies etc.
I’ve only seen the first “Despicable Me” movie, but I thought I was great. There’s no age limit on that type of movie, funny and entertaining.